Anyone else always play as human in RPGs ? - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Games » General RPG » Anyone else always play as human in RPGs ?

Default Anyone else always play as human in RPGs ?

June 16th, 2019, 03:10
Not matter what RPG i play,i always choose to be human.

I also find Mages to be boring.

Neritikes

Traveler

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

June 16th, 2019, 14:57
I almost never play human. Class depends on the game. I don't find mages boring in the right game.

you

Lazy_dog
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)

June 16th, 2019, 15:08
It really depends on what is available. I tend to like playing humans, orcs, half-orcs, half-elves, and Tieflings as far as standard races go. I tend to skip gnomes, dwarves, and elves.

For classes I like rangers best followed by classes that mix rogue and fighter or rogue and mage abilities.

But really it depends on what the game offers and what appeals to me for that game.
--
Character is centrality, the impossibility of being displaced or overset. - Ralph Waldo Emerson

wolfgrimdark

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)

June 16th, 2019, 15:21
I play all races except halflings. I use to not play humans that much but that extra feat in D&D is hard to turn down. So in D&D games I choose humans a good amount of time.

This is usually what I play:

Fighter=Dwarf

Archer=Elf

Paladin=Human

Cleric=Dwarf/Human

Wizard=Elf

Bard=Half-Elf

Barbarian=Half-Orc

Ranger=Human/Elf

Rogue=What I don't have yet in a party

That was my main complaint when M&M VI came out. Could only be humans. Such a good game but that spoiled the start and character creation for me.
--
"From knowledge springs Power, just as weakness stems from Ignorance."

Hastar

Unspeakable
RPGWatch Donor

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)

June 16th, 2019, 15:58
If it's a single PC game (like Baldurs Gate or Pillars of Eternity) I usually play as a human fighter in my first playthrough. After that, if I enjoy the game enough for a replay, I start experimenting more with races and classes (and sometimes difficulty ). My favourite playthrough of the Baldurs Gate series was with a human mage driven by a thirst for knowledge and power (whilst being an otherwise fairly decent chap); in Dragon Age Origins it was a dwarven noble fighter, an unpleasant creep who showed me some interesting c&c (eg, some slightly cowardly choices led to Redcliffe being wiped out early in the game, which I hadn't realised was possible and was an interesting surprise).

If it's a party game like Icewind Dale or MMX I mix it up as much as possible. I love character creation in Grimoire, with the possibility to create giants, vampires, walking eyeball creatures etc - it's great fun creating those parties.

Edit: although I'm with Hastar on halflings, and also gnomes. For some reason those races don't appeal to me during character creation, regardless of stat benefits.

Pongo

SasqWatch
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)

June 16th, 2019, 17:45
I usually play human, sometimes I'll go dwarf, and if the option exists, I really prefer to play a giant-class, ogre or bigger. If the option to play a giant-type doesn't exist, I'd say I'm eighty percent likely to roll a human.

Carnifex

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)

June 16th, 2019, 18:31
I will probably pick the race with the best stats for the class I wish to play. So class will be the real choice. I will often favour human if it's a tie though.

TomRon

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)

June 16th, 2019, 22:05
I usually play as Half Elf, either a Cleric or Mage class. Human or Elf is my second choice. Never play other races
--
Favourite RPGs: Baldur's Gate II, NWN: The Aielund Saga, Pathfinder: Kingmaker, Icewind Dale I, Stardew Valley

purpleblob

Princess

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)

June 16th, 2019, 22:23
I'm shallow enough that I generally take an "it's me, but better" view of my avatars -- so not just human and male but I get annoyed if I can't give them a red beard.

Second playthroughs when they happen are where I'll explore something contrasting -- a godlike in PoE, a renegade femshep in Mass Effect, etc.

But I rarely make it to a second playthrough these days, so it's pretty much all red beards all the time.
--
"But if it's a battle," he said, "which side is which?"
"If it's a battle," said Lilac.

Hexprone

Thou hast lost an eighth!

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

June 17th, 2019, 01:19
I'll play whatever looks most fun: human, elf, dwarf, cyborg - I'm playing a little, furry Orlan in PoE 2 currently.
Originally Posted by Hastar View Post
I play all races except halflings. I use to not play humans that much but that extra feat in D&D is hard to turn down.
But don't halflings have the best feet?
--
The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views….
-- Doctor Who in "Face of Evil"

Zloth

I smell a… wumpus!?

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
+1:

June 17th, 2019, 03:07
Anything but the prancing Elves ( unless it's Drow).
Dwarves have always been Fantasy Master race.
--
Rush in and die, dogs…I was a man before I was a king.

BoboTheMighty

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)

June 17th, 2019, 05:02
Originally Posted by BoboTheMighty View Post
Anything but the prancing Elves ( unless it's Drow)
I am Drow. My prancing is the darkest prancing. I only prance while covered in spiders.
--

Hexprone

June 17th, 2019, 10:52
I'm not picky. Whatever currently feels interesting, gimme. Try to imagine my excitment when I got to play a skeleton in DOS2.

While I don't discriminate races, when it comes to classes I'm not politically correct - I never play silly paladin class and generally don't have any paladin in my party (exception to the rule are possible companion sidequests where I do them, then kick the pallie outta party afterwards).
--
Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 128 Post(s)

June 17th, 2019, 12:21
Originally Posted by BoboTheMighty View Post
prancing
Hmmm…

prance
VERB
(of a horse) move with high springy steps.
or
(of a person) walk or move around with ostentatious, exaggerated movements.
I'd like to see a game where my character moves around with ostentatious, exaggerated movements. Can't say I've ever seen that in any game ever, so I'm guessing you're happy playing everything available?

lackblogger

retired poster
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)

June 17th, 2019, 12:45
Originally Posted by Hexprone View Post
I'm shallow enough that I generally take an "it's me, but better" view of my avatars -- so not just human and male but I get annoyed if I can't give them a red beard.

Second playthroughs when they happen are where I'll explore something contrasting -- a godlike in PoE, a renegade femshep in Mass Effect, etc.

But I rarely make it to a second playthrough these days, so it's pretty much all red beards all the time.
The Irish believed that gingers were vampires. They would cut off the heads of red heads before they buried them. Better not visit the emerald isles or you may have a real rpg adventure
--
"From knowledge springs Power, just as weakness stems from Ignorance."
Last edited by Hastar; June 17th, 2019 at 13:00.

Hastar

Unspeakable
RPGWatch Donor

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)

June 17th, 2019, 18:19
Originally Posted by lackblogger View Post
I'd like to see a game where my character moves around with ostentatious, exaggerated movements. Can't say I've ever seen that in any game ever, so I'm guessing you're happy playing everything available?
Isn't there a ministry of that already ? I mean, Monty Python told me so …

On topic : The very first thing I always try out in RPGs is an archer - and in most cases an elven one.
--
"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)

June 18th, 2019, 04:07
Originally Posted by lackblogger View Post
Maybe Voldo in Soul Calibur?
--
The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views….
-- Doctor Who in "Face of Evil"

Zloth

I smell a… wumpus!?

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)

June 18th, 2019, 04:17
In Deadfire you can customize your idle pose -- a couple of the choices are fairly campy.
--

Hexprone

June 18th, 2019, 04:30
Puny humans!

I normally play as half-elf, ranger or cleric.

SpoonFULL

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
+1:

June 18th, 2019, 07:11
as first choice, just about never

Today: I pick what ever race best matches up with Ranger class.

yesteryear: When you just about always had a party, I'd love throwing in a dwarf cleric and a fairy warrior mage. Always hard to level up but the end game bad assery was just such a kick.

Sometime in the near future I am going to experiment with a giant thief. no consequences for exploding treasure chests with that guy . . .

or
Hulk sneaks into castle. Somebody hears him. Hulk hides. Castle guard looks for hulk. Hulk hides some more. Guard senses something then sees something. Guard looks up… and up … and up. He sees a grinning hulk. Hulk SMASH.

I can see it now:
" hummm . . . . Hulk can't figure proper lock pick technique… Hulk SMASH"
Last edited by Dajjer; June 18th, 2019 at 07:22.

Dajjer

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
RPGWatch Forums » Games » General RPG » Anyone else always play as human in RPGs ?