Mafia Trilogy/Remaster

Mafia 2 and 3 Definitives are available now. Mafia 1 Definitive on August 28.

Coolio, my Mafia 3 had been upgraded to "definitive" for free.
Mafia 2 hasn't been, though. My one is now called "Mafia II (Classic)" and the definitive edition is a separate purchase, at a hefty NZ$59.95. Makes sense, due to the work to upgrade it to the new engine, but a leeeetle discount would've been nice.

Coolio, my Mafia 3 had been upgraded to "definitive" for free.
Mafia 2 hasn't been, though. My one is now called "Mafia II (Classic)" and the definitive edition is a separate purchase, at a hefty NZ$59.95. Makes sense, due to the work to upgrade it to the new engine, but a leeeetle discount would've been nice.

Mafia 2 Definitive is also for free for owners of the original. My version also went into Classic initially, but then with a bit of twidling with the steam client around, the Definitive one was also added. It might be that the migration is a bit slow, or it's something else. But you should, in the end, have the definitive one. You'll have the option to play either Classic or Definitive, for Mafia 2.

I'm excited about this...I never played the game, but know it was well reviewed. I also like the time period and it looks like they are remaking it with excellent graphics and bells and whistles in the form of extra stuff added to the game.

Mafia 2 Definitive is also for free for owners of the original. My version also went into Classic initially, but then with a bit of twidling with the steam client around, the Definitive one was also added. It might be that the migration is a bit slow, or it's something else. But you should, in the end, have the definitive one. You'll have the option to play either Classic or Definitive, for Mafia 2.

Hey, you're right, it's there. Excellent! :thumbsup:

I have Mafia II and all DLC, but I haven't received the definitive edition.

On the Steam page, it says purchasing the definitive edition gives you a free copy of the classic edition, but I don't see anything about owners of the original getting the definitive version for free.

*Edit* After exiting and restarting Steam, it's now showing the definitive edition in my library.

Has anyone tried it yet?

Last edited:
I have Mafia II and all DLC, but I haven't received the definitive edition.

On the Steam page, it says purchasing the definitive edition gives you a free copy of the classic edition, but I don't see anything about owners of the original getting the definitive version for free.

*Edit* After exiting and restarting Steam, it's now showing the definitive edition in my library.

Has anyone tried it yet?

Haven't tried it yet, but from what I hear, Mafia 1 is a full remake (all graphical assets, and it sounds to me they even changed the main voice actor?). Mafia 2 is just a 4K upscale. And Mafia 3 is basically just a GOTY edition.

Don't want to be a downer but player reviews are not great right now. The biggest compliant is the graphic overhaul feels rushed, and some textures don't look right.

The recent patches have also slowed down the game based on Steam comments.

Don't want to be a downer but player reviews are not great right now. The biggest compliant is the graphic overhaul feels rushed, and some textures don't look right.

The recent patches have also slowed down the game based on Steam comments.

I hope this is not emblematic of how things will look in Mafia 1. :(
That would be really sad. It would really suck for them to dig the game out and just do a bad job. :(
We shall see.

Considering the install size for the new version is nearly 6x that of the original, I can understand the complaints if it doesn't look significantly better.

I wouldn't mind an update of the first one. I remember enjoying it, but it's sufficiently hazy that I could enjoy it again, in a less clunky form.

Looks pretty good to me. I've seen people complaining that they made some changes and that it's more of a remake than a remaster. I can't tell because I've never played the original, but I'll probably give this a shot.

Mafia: Definitive Edition Gamescom 2020 Story Trailer

Ahead of its September 25 launch, check out a new story trailer for Mafia: Definitive Edition, the Hangar 13-developed remake of the original Mafia.

Mafia: Definitive Edition - The Final Preview

We went hands-on with Mafia: Definitive Edition, the full-blown remake of the classic 2002 open-world crime story starring you as Tommy Angelo. The Mafia 1 remake will be released on September 25 for PC, PS4, and Xbox One.

Back
Top Bottom