D:OS2 Persuasion and Non-violence

Divinity: Original Sin 2

Thrasher

Wheeee!
Is it worth it? In act 2 it looks like I may be missing a lot of loot and xp to persuade my way through hoards of magisters. If they are named I hope they may help me in the future. Plus I like to play the good guy, even if the magisters are misguided shits.

Last edited:
Worth it? Depends on your playstyle. I loved when I had the chance of talking through many things. If you do, I recommend having someone (pref. the one with Pet Pal) to have some persuasion. I'm not sure how it works though, most Persuasion checks are against a stat, but don't know the relation. I know if you have 0 persuasion, many checks will fail even if you have like 20+ in the stat, but just having a couple of points I could pass most checks.

Yeah, I pass all the checks currently with persuasion of 6, but wonder if I am gimping my xp and losing loot.

Nah, there is plenty of exp and loot (plus merchants) around. Besides, nobody is stopping you from getting the exp and then killing them anyway.

Well except when they walk off and disappear and are not interactable. Speaking of the Black Pits Crossley family situation.

I sort of felt bad for it, but I killed the dragon for his sword and xp. Ah well.

I sort of felt bad for it, but I killed the dragon for his sword and xp. Ah well.

If that's what you do when playing the good guy I would be scared of you playing evil...

I killed the Dragon to see if I could, then immediately reloaded from my guilty conscience.

Haha. Yeah I lived with my choice on that one.

Otherwise you’d be proud of me being an upstanding sourcerer. ;)

Well except for the pickpocketing obsession.

Last edited:
I *think* persuasion works like so:

First you have to have some threshold in a stat to get the option to even show up in dialog. That's just in the stat, though - I don't think persuasion counts for anything at that point. The persuasion stat comes in when you pick one of those options. Each one will have a threshold assigned, from 0 to 99. If you've got that level of persuasion then you get the success. If not you get the fail.

So say you walk up to some giant and want him to do something he doesn't really want to do. You get some standard options, an option based on strength to threaten the giant with a pummeling, and an option based on wits to that the squirrels are plotting against him and he needs to go check it out. The strength option will need a ridiculous persuasion - what are you going to do, punch it in the shin? The wits option might work on a dumber giant, though. If it were a frail old wizard, the strength option would probably have a lower threshold than the wits.

Do NOT discount the other options, though! This is not the kind of game where, if you see a tag, you know that's likely to be the best option. There could be an option with no tag and no requirement for information from some previous questing that works quite well.

The options (and tags like Jester) can open up some nice roleplaying. If you're playing a punch-first-think-later fighter, he might well threaten to punch a giant in the shin.

Back
Top Bottom