Dragon Age 2 - GamesCom Roundup

McDonald's doesn't cost $50-$60 a purchase. Word of mouth has a little more impact when you're spending that kind of money, and people certainly put more thought into it.
But this still doesn't imply that the taste of the majority is interested in quality. Note that we are not talking about quality in the sense of "polished" but in the sense of aesthetic quality.

You can easily find examples of products with higher prices, which are similar to my McDonald's example, e. g.: "Are SUVs the best cars"?

So you mean McDonald's sells the best food and the Yellow Press produces the best newspapers? Quality is no majority decision.
Sure it is. If McDonald's is the best quality food for the money available then why wouldn't that cause the majority to eat it? (Can't imagine where that would be the case though.. France maybe :p)

But even if it weren't, what gives you the right so say your minority opinion is more important than someone else's minority opinion? Or as you say, if the majority of RPGWatch members might think a certain way - why do you mention majority if quality is no majority decision?

It sounds like there's some assessment of validity of opinion going on, which in the end either comes down to snobbery or dick-sizing in an unqualified environment like an internet forum.

Better perhaps to go off professional reviews then?
Metacritic Mass Effect 1 PC - 89
Metacritic Mass Effect 2 PC - 94

Ahh, would seem like the professionals don't think Mass Effect 2 was damaged either.

So the professionals don't think it's damaged. And the buying public don't think it's damaged. We're running out of supporting evidence for this theory.

But this still doesn't imply that the taste of the majority is interested in quality.

I agree. And besides, McDonalds burgers don't taste that bad, really. ;)

I once eat them within 5 years or so, because this simply isn't my kind of food,
but *when* (like i was recently invited to), then I must really admit that it tastes good. :) No matter what. :)

And yes, they have introduced these "vegetable burgers" again, which I must really try out ! :)
They had them in thir "program" a long time ago, but put them out because - as they said - no-one was interested in them.

Mass Effect was really good in it's presentation and storywise as an interactive movie.

Gameplay sucked poo.

But even if it weren't, what gives you the right so say your minority opinion is more important than someone else's minority opinion? Or as you say, if the majority of RPGWatch members might think a certain way - why do you mention majority if quality is no majority decision?
Because your starting post might sound to a new poster as if your post was expressing the opinion of the RPGWatch crowd. So I wanted to express that this is not the case.

By the way I do not believe that my specific minority opinion about quality is more relevant than anybody else's. But it is still not a majority decision. Like for books, movies, or paintings it isn't a majority decision, which of them are good. It's a question of aesthetics. Whether there is an absolute or at least objective measure for that is again a matter of someone's philosophical beliefs, so we will not solve this question here.

But to come back to topic: Completeley subjectively I do not want Bioware to develop their future games in the Mass Effect 2 direction.
:biggrin:

The bottom line is that sales do represent a good product to a degree, regardless whether or not everyone agrees that it's a good product. Something that is total garbage is not going to sell for a significant amount of time.

The bottom line is that sales do represent a good product to a degree, regardless whether or not everyone agrees that it's a good product.
Incomplete. ;) A product has a targeted quality*. The result is measured against it, and if it's above the cut it's "good". Quality is relative to expectation. And perspective.

Even sales numbers are relative. If Risen 2 sells 2M it will be a huge hit. If the next GTA sells 2M the studio will be closed and 200 people fired.

Something that is total garbage is not going to sell for a significant amount of time.
This is debatable. ;) For lack of alternative it may sell for a long time. And it may sell a lot for a short time. Example for both: Windows Vista.

* = a list of characteristics and their individual focus and quality.

This is debatable. ;) For lack of alternative it may sell for a long time. And it may sell a lot for a short time. Example for both: Windows Vista..

I don't think Windows Vista qualifies as being total garbage. But you are correct about the "lack of alternative" situation, that is really the only time a truly bad product is going to see significant sales.

Something that is total garbage is not going to sell for a significant amount of time.

"A significant amount of time" is right, but Moorhuhn shows you that it is actually possible to get a lot of cash in with a really simple game. Or even the infamous German game called "Pulleralarm", of which every sane German should be imho eternally ashamed of.

At the GamesCom the company responsible for a "game" called "Farming Simulator" claimed that it surpassed - in sales - even wow.

And they might even be right, especiall when you look at he success of Farmville.

Edit : Not to mention that no "real gamer" takes this "Farming Simulation" seriously. ;)

Back
Top Bottom