System Shock Fans

I suggest taking atleast 5 seconds to check few reviews before posting it to others to get their hopes up. Gamespot gives this a turd review of the worst kind aka score 2/10. Averige score among reviewers is 4.1/10.

"The Bad: Awkward controls and game mechanics; bizarre level design; terrible graphics and sound; save system is just a cruel joke."

"Ugly, virtually unplayable in spots, and with a plot guaranteed to make your head spin when you're not laughing at the ridiculous dialogue, Origin of the Species is quite simply one of the worst games to hit hard drives in the past year."

"All in all, Origin of the Species is one of those games that make you want to ditch your PC and take up a less aggravating hobby, like detecting land mines."

WHy would I check reviews? Minus the graphics comments those snippets of reviews would be my take on on every fps game made. I found a system shock type game and shared the knowledge.

And if reviews were all that counted, I would have never bought most of my favorite games, like hammer and sickle, or bought all the crap games that all the big sites love. Reviewers suck and have no taste, and half the review is tied to graphics. Look at the thumb nails in the link, the graphics are far from bad.

Basing anything on reviews is about as useful as getting sex advice from a five year old.

edit: A better analogy would be making a decision based off of a game review would be like basing a decision of what prostitite to rent on the opinion of a five year old.

WHy would I check reviews? Minus the graphics comments those snippets of reviews would be my take on on every fps game made. I found a system shock type game and shared the knowledge.

This game is nothing like system shock. You would know that if you had read atleast few reviews. For one thing game reviews are much more trustworthy than pretty pictures and feature lists on developers netsite.

And if reviews were all that counted, I would have never bought most of my favorite games, like hammer and sickle, or bought all the crap games that all the big sites love. Reviewers suck and have no taste, and half the review is tied to graphics. Look at the thumb nails in the link, the graphics are far from bad.

The thumb nails are obviously clips from the ingame movie. You would know this if you had read atleast one review.

And I have to say 2.0/10.0 is the worst score I have yet seen from gamespot. This game is not just bad its "specially" bad.

Basing anything on reviews is about as useful as getting sex advice from a five year old.

edit: A better analogy would be making a decision based off of a game review would be like basing a decision of what prostitite to rent on the opinion of a five year old.

Well I guess that would be true if you are into renting a prostitute but I dont see what it has to do with this game?

You win this round you saucy rogue. But the battle will be mine!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

p.s. reviews are for girls and let me give you another analogy: deciding what games are worth checking out based on a game review from major sites is like deciding what kind of weed is good and you should buy based off the opinion of Nancy Reagan.

I have a better one: game reviews from major sites are to useful as man boobs are to hungry babies.

Ah, but roqua, game reviews from THIS site are the epitome of excellence, aren't they!! :cm:

Sometimes. But now I know you guy's tastes enough to know when I should pick up a game that got treated harshly by a review here, or got rave reviews and I should stear clear.

This site provides quality, good reviews. I agree with a lot of points in the reviews, but in general I put a different emphasis on what makes a game enjoyable so usually what I'm looking to find out isn't really mentioned.

I play a lot of dosbox games, so what you guys think are big interface problems I don't even notice because I'm so happy the game even supports a mouse. Good graphics actually anger me, because I know reasorces that could have been put into thinks that matter were wasted ( graphics wrecked the code in nwn 2, see the codex interview). AI in nwn 2? Who cares, the combat was horrible. At least the poor AI made me have to overcome some sort of obsticle in combat (that being the AI).

I can see how the review would be a huge help to most gamers. And I really thought it was a good review. I just special.

I would really like to see how PS:T ends, but the combat just gets to me so I can't. Same with BG1 and 2. Same with every spiderweb game made, and most every other crpg. Me and thatguy seem to be the only one with a huge critique against the combat in nwn 2 (other than the interface, AI problems) I seriously believe its the worst combat ever seen in a crpg to date. I can't think of any worse examples. But you see thinks different, and I of course expect you to tell it like you see it in reviews, as you do.

I knew I could trust the reviews from you guys 100% when DL got a good review (of course, the one staff that actually liked it, reviewed it). And the nwn 2 review confirms that. I don't trust the reviews from the big sites one bit, especially when it comes to low key games. With the big games, I am convinced the big sites take kick-backs or cater the review to their fan base and the market. The guy that reviews Oblivion for a big game site isn't going to give it bad review, even if he hates it personally. I don't trust the big sites and I'll never trust them. Look at their hammer&sickle reviews, they didn;t even try and see what the game was trying to do before they tore it apart. And any review that focuses on graphics just loses all credability in my mind.

roqua, I have the PERFECT solution for you!! How about YOU volunteer to review some games, even old Dosbox games. Heck, I recently wrote a retrospective on Arena which is dosbox and I'm still planning to write one eventually for Daggerfall. Write some and submit them to Dhruin; he'll be fair!!

roqua, I have the PERFECT solution for you!! How about YOU volunteer to review some games, even old Dosbox games. Heck, I recently wrote a retrospective on Arena which is dosbox and I'm still planning to write one eventually for Daggerfall. Write some and submit them to Dhruin; he'll be fair!!

Well if we cant trust rpgd...watch then what we can!!?

Back
Top Bottom