Goodbye from me

Hi everyone.

Thanks for all the lovely responses. I will perhaps take a break and come back later.

Those of you who are wondering why I am leaving - part of the reason is my love for RTwP which only few of you share but also the fact I was getting tired of getting into discussions lately with those with differing opinion to me. Maybe the life is tiring me out - I've been getting stressed with just about any human interactions in general (including family) - just want to avoid any conflict at all cost.

So, once my mind is cleared and I no longer feel the desire to run away from everyone, I will come back.

Again, thanks for all your posts and hope to see you guys all again in future.

Edit: Also just want to clarify on the whole RTwP thing. When the majority of people's opinion/taste/preferance leans to one side, it feels like there's no point presenting different opinion - simply because people will pile on posts disagreeing with you. And to me, it was rather clear RTwP fans are in minority. Hell, some even said I'm clearly retarded for liking flawed/inferrior/subpar system. Yes, in those exact words (although it happened else where not on this forums). When you get enough of those, you just lose will to respond anywhere. There may be others who may agree with me but stay silent - which kinda doesn't help me to know there are others like me, hence, come to a conclusion my voice is not needed.

I guess that may provide more context on why I feel out of place, why I'm tired of getting into the discussions that are clearly lopsided.

Last edited:
Sorry for being late to get on the bandwagon of those who don’t like you to leave. I hope you do come back to share your views with us and I also hope you continue to send in those wonderful reviews.

Anyway i've been using the internet for over 30 years (yea folks its been around a long time); and I will say that back in the late 80's and early 90's when mostly college seniors, grad students, and faculty use the internet life was different than in the late 90's early 2000's when the rest of the world join. It isn't even about disagreeing over a topic but the words use by people discussing these topics changed as well as the anger level at disagreement. Oh well kind of miss the early years.

[Yea yea there were bboards even older but those weren't real time - they were only quasi real-time so they don't count ;) ]
It's called Eternal September if you haven't heard the term before :lol:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eternal_September

Edit: Also just want to clarify on the whole RTwP thing. When the majority of people's opinion/taste/preferance leans to one side, it feels like there's no point presenting different opinion - simply because people will pile on posts disagreeing with you. And to me, it was rather clear RTwP fans are in minority. Hell, some even said I'm clearly retarded for liking flawed/inferrior/subpar system. Yes, in those exact words (although it happened else where not on this forums). When you get enough of those, you just lose will to respond anywhere. There may be others who may agree with me but stay silent - which kinda doesn't help me to know there are others like me, hence, come to a conclusion my voice is not needed.
What about ChienAboyeur's relentless, years-long campaign to convince everyone that people who enjoy turn-based just suck too much at RTwP and need to Get Good? Not enough? :lol:

@purpleblob;
Thanks for the extra information. Much appreciated.
Conflicts can be very tiring, they suck all the energy away from you. Especially when you got the feeling you have no one at your side and have to fight, fight after fight, on your own. I understand the need for some space, calm and peace.

Please, do come back once you feel things are not as stressful. Remember at the Watch (at least) you have got the ability to put the most fierce opponents on your ignore list, and you can always PM me to seek my assistence.

I am not reading every post or thread, and the threads I do check, it is more like scanning the general attitude, to see whether there is a certain level of animosity, and if so to see whether the TOS is still acted upon, for there are just too many posts and too many other things to do. So if you feel being harassed that could go under my radar.
But when informed I’ll look into in it or keep track of it of course.

For now you could also try the option of staying with us, but not reading the posts in the News threads, just Off Topic. I still remember pictures of beautiful bouquets you make, and of awesome finger food. :)

Your voice is unique at the Watch, purple, it sounds loud and clear above the murmur of men :), please do not mute that nice sound forever.

Last edited:
Hi everyone.

Thanks for all the lovely responses. I will perhaps take a break and come back later.
That would be nice.
I appreciated you're insights and love your passion for your favorite games. And I'd like to see more of it at a later time.

Those of you who are wondering why I am leaving - part of the reason is my love for RTwP which only few of you share but also the fact I was getting tired of getting into discussions lately with those with differing opinion to me
This might be a bit too theoretical, but perhaps it'll help you in the future: a dissens does not need to lead to an argument.
Especially when it comes to art and leisure activities. There is no need to defend your taste. You know that nobody has a right to tell you what you should like and what not. Don't fight if that is tiring you. Just leave it be.

Now rest well and come back soon! :)

Your voice is unique at the Watch, purple, it sounds loud and clear above the murmur of men :), please do not mute that nice sound forever.
Well said.

Last edited:
Hi everyone.

Those of you who are wondering why I am leaving - part of the reason is my love for RTwP which only few of you share but also the fact I was getting tired of getting into discussions lately with those with differing opinion to me. Maybe the life is tiring me out - I've been getting stressed with just about any human interactions in general (including family) - just want to avoid any conflict at all cost.

So, once my mind is cleared and I no longer feel the desire to run away from everyone, I will come back.

Again, thanks for all your posts and hope to see you guys all again in future.

I guess that may provide more context on why I feel out of place, why I'm tired of getting into the discussions that are clearly lopsided.

I'm normally fairly open and direct when it comes to preferring RTwP over TB. I just haven't been very active recently, mainly due to work.

If you ever feel alone in such a debate, just @ me in there and I'll pop by to back up the RTwP camp. :)

I'm normally fairly open and direct when it comes to preferring RTwP over TB. I just haven't been very active recently, mainly due to work.

If you ever feel alone in such a debate, just @ me in there and I'll pop by to back up the RTwP camp. :)

I find the whole camp thing silly, as if one isn't allowed to like both. I might have a preference, but that's quite a difference. Now action combat is a whole different beast that should be purged from the face of the earth…no wait, I can enjoy that too. Nevermind then.

Thanks for the clarification @purpleblob;, I still say you should change your mind. I'll aggressively post that RTWP is king if that'll help.

Last edited:
I find the whole camp thing silly, as if one isn't allowed to like both. I might have a preference, but that's quite a difference. Now action combat is a whole different beast that should be purged from the face of the earth…no wait, I can enjoy that too. Nevermind than.
Ha, that's me as well. I have no predefined favorite. I have a preference for good and don't like bad.

Please take the break and come back. I really enjoy your insight into games.

@purpleblob

I completely understand as I'm on other sites as well where the same crap happens. So I agree just walk away for while and come back one day. I've done it before.

Also for the record once again I love and prefer all types of action combat. Though I will shamefully admit I play turn-based sometimes, but they are not my preference.

Not every RPG has to be turn-based just because it was adapted from table-top rules.:p

Since I like single-character games for the most part, I prefer real time. However, when I play party-based, I don't really have a preference between TB and RTwP.

I enjoy both styles: turn-based is perhaps better for large-scale battles with lots of tactical options, while RTwP is good for smaller parties and faster, more plentiful encounters. But some people seem to get religious about it.

Definitely recommend having a break if you're getting stressed about the discussions here. A few weeks away can work wonders.

back in the day I was feeling sorry for myself a few times about my feelings on this board so I sent emails to Dhruin and Jaz and they both sent very kind responses.

I wrote another one and I thought, "What am I doing?" Why do I care what strangers on the internet think of me? And besides, this is mostly in my head. So I've always checked myself whenever I get that way again.

That's not to say I haven't faced hostility. I've complaining openly about the rise in "Dark and Gritty" "mature" and M rated RPG's with perversions and adult themes and got some strong push back. Just for wanting a return to more Teen rated games I got a response "…I'm sick of your sanctimony" and "…what are you even doing here" even though I've been here a lot longer than they had.

Rather than respond I realized that I may be getting more involved than I should and took a step back. I learned this lesson on the old Horizons boards and on Facebook.

Well that person's not here anymore and last time I saw them posting was on the Codex.

Since then the P&R forums has since been taken off the front page (which was long overdue) so really its gotten even more moderate. I love this place because its mostly adults here and not children trying to one up each other trying to see who can say the most shocking thing.

Taking a break and stepping back is the right thing to do. It will get your head back on straight to what really matters.

I'll will be sorry to see you go, I've never had many discussions with you, but have always read your posts and admired your passion for Kingmaker.
Being one of the few that enjoyed Fallout 76 and admitted to it, I get where your coming from.
"I hope this is Au Revoir, but not Good Bye.

Being one of the few that enjoyed Fallout 76

OMG… really?

seriously though, RPGWatch is just about the only place on the internet where I've seen multiple people say this, and I find that same theme with no end of failed AAA games. No matter which one it is nor how bad it is, there'll be 4 or 5 people on RPGWatch who'll be defending it to the death and all of them claiming they are a persecuted minority even though they always dominate any threads on the topic and are never afraid to accuse 'sane' people of being 'haters'. LOL.

So you'll have to excuse me if I cringe or joke at stuff like this, because if you can't feel 'in a group' at RPGWatch for these kind of games then I have no idea where on the internet would be more 'safe space' for you.

Now imagine me trying to praise and encourage people to play Serpent in the Staglands… not even here will I have two or three posts in a row without someone saying "but the graphics are shit, so this game can fuck off".

And yet SitS is 10x the RPG than practically any game discussed on these boards on a given day is… but even here…

I guess it's all about perspective ;)

we will be glad when you come back. I always enjoyed reading your posts, especially about your appreciation for Baldur's Gate, which I'm in full agreement. :)

Obviously i'd rather not see you go but if you do need some time off then please be well and I'll be glad to read you once more when you come back :).

No matter which one it is nor how bad it is, there'll be 4 or 5 people on RPGWatch who'll be defending it to the death
That's what I don't understand. Why do people apparently feel the need to defend anything in context of their taste in leisure activities? If someone says he doesn't like a game or feature, but I do, why should I have to defend it? It's not that I would win something if I managed to persuade him. I just say my opinion and move on.

I don't understand what you don't understand. Comments are never isolated abstractions that everyone should instinctively ignore once read. The very nature of communication is to engage other people.

Are you implying that your statement is infallible and then hoping to pre-empt any response by implying that any response other than agreement is inherently a hostile act?

Are you not making an attempt at persuasion by suggesting people shouldn't aim for persuasion in their posts?

Are you not replying to someone else's post when you say you don't understand why people reply to things other people have said, which can always be interpreted as attack/defend depending on the extent of one's tactical agenda?

Do you feel my reply to your reply is attacking in nature or just conversational in nature? Aggressive in nature or humorous in nature?

Back
Top Bottom