Realms Beyond - Combat Beta released

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
The combat beta version of Realms Beyond has been released for backers:

Combat Beta Released to Backers

The long-awaited combat beta of Realms Beyond has been finally released to backers whose reward tier includes combat beta access. Assemble your party and enter the Halls of Challenge to brave tough fights that will put all your skills to the test!

The purpose of the combat beta is to provide feedback and bug reports to us, so if you are among those with access to it, we ask you to report any issues to us. The easiest way to do so is in our official Discord server, where we have opened a dedicated combat beta channel. You can also use our official forums at realms-beyond.com (account registration required). You can also write to support[at]ceres-games.com.

While the combat beta is not available to the public, there is no NDA on it. You can take screenshots, talk about your experience on forums and social media, or even record yourself playing it on YouTube or Twitch.

Since this is essentially a closed beta, please keep in mind that there are still bugs to be ironed out, balance is not perfect, and some features are missing. We will deal with those issues as we receive your reports. As of now, we have not yet implemented a savegame feature. If you want to speed up animations in combat, hold down <SPACE>. If you have any questions - or suggestions - feel free to contact us about them.

Happy playing, and may you survive the trials of the Halls of Challenge!
More information.

I found out I didn't back high enough to try this....anyone in that can give impressions?

I found out I didn't back high enough to try this….anyone in that can give impressions?

There are still bugs and crashes (as you might expect from an early closed beta) but it is already quite fun. Not surprisingly it reminds me a lot of Temple of Elemental Evil. Some features are currently disabled; no saving in the beta currently, you create characters but leveling up is currently automatic (you don't choose new feats or spells if applicable) and the druid class isn't available yet (apparently still working on some their unique abilities). There are plans to add a combat tutorial for the main game but anyone familiar with 3.5e probably won't need one.

The visuals look really nice IMO. Really beautiful environments, cool looking armor, etc.

I streamed some of my playthroughs and will probably do again tomorrow.

Note: While you don't currently learn new spells on level up, wizards and clerics can buy scrolls from the merchant and learn the spell if it's a spell of appropriate level. Remember all spellcasters in Realms Beyond function like 3.5e sorcerers / favored souls.

Last edited:
There are still bugs and crashes (as you might expect from an early closed beta) but it is already quite fun. Not surprisingly it reminds me a lot of Temple of Elemental Evil. Some features are currently disabled; no saving in the beta currently, aside from the characters you are created and the druid class isn't available yet (apparently still working on some their unique abilities). There are plans to add a combat tutorial for the main game but anyone familiar with 3.5e probably won't need one.

The visuals look really nice IMO. Really beautiful environments, cool looking armor, etc.

Cool thank you so much…funny how every game has trouble with the druids…

edit: middle of combat..."it's not my day today" nonchalantly. hahhaah

Hah, I learned my lesson the hard way; undead are highly resistant to slashing and piercing weapons. So I created a new party where most of the characters focus on blunt weapons... I suppose later I'll encounter some enemies with resistance to bludgeoning.

I've been watching a few of the streamed betas. They're on the slow side, but that's probably due to unfamiliarity. To me the one thing lacking are effect icons below the row of combatants. I'd like to see at a glance who is under a spell's influence.

According to latest 5 hour gameplay video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfcizd3BgmM

Looks very solid! The amount of graphics content they put into the game is massive: it must have been a grueling work. I'm shuddering at the thought of how many hours they slaved away, until they nailed this amazing, detailed look. Jesus!! :-oOOoOoo

There are still bugs and crashes (as you might expect from an early closed beta) but it is already quite fun. Not surprisingly it reminds me a lot of Temple of Elemental Evil. Some features are currently disabled; no saving in the beta currently, you create characters but leveling up is currently automatic (you don't choose new feats or spells if applicable) and the druid class isn't available yet (apparently still working on some their unique abilities). There are plans to add a combat tutorial for the main game but anyone familiar with 3.5e probably won't need one.

Note: While you don't currently learn new spells on level up, wizards and clerics can buy scrolls from the merchant and learn the spell if it's a spell of appropriate level. Remember all spellcasters in Realms Beyond function like 3.5e sorcerers / favored souls.
All spellcasters? Wizards, Bards and Clerics to?

Uh... both point buy and dice rolling for abilities in character generation. Now I have to roll endlessly until I get at least 16 everywhere.

Uh… both point buy and dice rolling for abilities in character generation. Now I have to roll endlessly until I get at least 16 everywhere.

But that's the best part!

For my latest Baldur's Gate playthrough I actually implemented a bot doing the rolls until a desired result. That's not cheating!

All spellcasters? Wizards, Bards and Clerics to?

All spellcasters. Bards won't be in the game at launch though (they were a stretch goal that wasn't reached so they'll only be added in an expansion... unless modders do it first).

The eight classes that will be in the game are Fighter, Ranger, Barbarian, Paladin, Cleric, Wizard, Rogue, and Druid. They're also planning to have some prestige classes but the final list of those is TBD.

According to latest 5 hour gameplay video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfcizd3BgmM

Looks very solid! The amount of graphics content they put into the game is massive: it must have been a grueling work. I'm shuddering at the thought of how many hours they slaved away, until they nailed this amazing, detailed look. Jesus!! :-oOOoOoo
Jesus that looks amazing.

For my latest Baldur's Gate playthrough I actually implemented a bot doing the rolls until a desired result. That's not cheating!

You go on telling yourself that. Lying to yourself might be preferable to cheating? ;)

You go on telling yourself that. Lying to yourself might be preferable to cheating? ;)
You must admit that this one is a little different. It's still true to the rules: roll as often as you like until you like the result.
I'd say it's just cheesy.

But of course I can understand that some consider it cheating.

Last edited:
Bah when I cheat I cheat all the way.:p

Nothing like trainers or editors.

Not ashamed about it either as some games are just to long.

Hopefully a real beta with story is released in a few months.

I'll be waiting for for more videos @daveyd.:thumbsup:

I used Shadowkeeper for my last run. Made a figther/mage and couldn't bother spending hours to reach the 95 points minimum…
I'm a cheat.

I used Shadowkeeper for my last run. Made a figther/mage and couldn't bother spending hours to reach the 95 points minimum…
I'm a cheat.
With tools like that or manual hex editing I always fear to break my game. So I'm cautious and if ever I only use tools like the above.

Last edited:
I had a bug with Jaheira and shadowkeeper.
I changed her alignement to good because otherwise she kept complaining every five minutes about my leadership choices (when the party reputation is over 18), and it broke my game.

Had to start again and endure Jaheira constant whining about balance and neutrality during all of BG1 (she's cool in BG2).

Matt Chat Live with Realms Beyond and SKALD.

Back
Top Bottom