Kingmaker - Meet the New Turn-Based Option

I wonder if we're seeing the emergence of a new trend in western isometric RPGs… RTwP and TB included? It pleases everyone! It's like if Trump and Obama were president at the same time … everyone would be happy
Turn-based being Obama and RTwP Trump ? Yep :)

Turn based mod (don't know about the official one) had the option to switch it off and on at will. TB for serious fights, RT for trivial, perfecto.

Pretty cool to hear. Skipped the game because of RTwP. However if the turnbased mode is as "good" as in POE2, I will skip it anyways. Looking forward to some impressions about that mode and comparisons vs POE2.

I'll try Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous. That will have a turn-based option from the start.
I think that's precisely why they're including it in Kingmaker now. It's a great way to let it be tested in the real world. A lot of folks will replay it and give valuable feedback. Also it won't be too much additional effort as it's the same engine.

I assume the definitive upgrades are free to those that own kingmaker already?
I'll have to take a look at past news threads and updates for a definite answer. Though based on other games like Pillar's of Eternity I'd say yes on the PC not consoles.
I wonder if we're seeing the emergence of a new trend in western isometric RPGs… RTwP and TB included? It pleases everyone! It's like if Trump and Obama were president at the same time … everyone would be happy.

Nah, just kidding, people would still find things to bitch about. =)

So please everyone? Now I know your kidding as that will never happen.:lol:
Nope, that can't be right. I like both combat systems.
Me as well just prefer RTwP due to Baldur's Gate.:nod:

Tried out Kingmaker, just to see if it's even worth to install the turn-based mod: GUI is horrifically small, small icons, small fonts, small tooltips everywhere, even with the ridiculous 1.2 text size. The team made bad UI design decisions regards size, not filling out the whole screen - I think they thought that everybody uses wide-monitors now so they just conveniently support that.. - , just the "movie-screen space" in the center for resolution 1280x1024. :D Bad engine decision regards trainwreck Unity, which has the worst in Font Size + UI Scale Support.
FUN FACTOR:
Also the game is NOT fun, but forced-happy and LAME INTRO + it carries the horrible plague of long and boring dialogue texts and the narration - character voices are mostly insufferable. Bad choices plague this one. Maybe the character creation art direction is okay and would be nice, if I could see much of it.. :D But of course not. Its all for wide monitors now, which is good as Kingmaker is a bad game anyway.

UI:
Bad sizing & layout of character generation screen. Who the FCK had the stupid idea that the main menu should sloooOOoOowly turn into view in 3D? Anyway. Bad game. If it walks ugly, if it quacks ugly, then its a rotten duck!

REFUNDED

A V O I D W A R E!!!

Tried out Kingmaker, just to see if it's even worth to install the turn-based mod: GUI is horrifically small, small icons, small fonts, small tooltips everywhere, even with the ridiculous 1.2 size. The team made bad UI design decisions regards size. Also the game is NOT fun, but carries the horrible plague of long and boring dialogue texts and the character voices are mostly insufferable.

Bad sizing & layout of character generation screen. Who the FCK had the bad idea that the main menu should sloooOOoOowly turn into view in 3D? Anyway. Bad game.

REFUNDED

A V O I D W A R E!!!

Go play your primitive, shallow games with oversized GUI then.

Good that I've been waiting with Kingmaker. ;)

If anyone wants to see, what a magnificent UI design looks like, try amazing Spaceland. Its sci-fi, has exciting intro that draws you in with a good story & fitting soundtrack. Very well made little game! Also perfect reference for anybody, who wants to design games, so you can see, how game development is really well done once veteran developers take the stage!! Highly recommended to calm you in these stressful times.

If anyone wants to see, what a magnificent UI design looks like, try amazing Spaceland. Its sci-fi, has exciting intro that draws you in with a good story & fitting soundtrack. Very well made little game! Also perfect reference for anybody, who wants to design games, so you can see, how game development is really well done once veteran developers take the stage!! Highly recommended to calm you in these stressful times.
Don't peddle your phone malware to us.

To see that turn based it what people actually want these days, gives me this surreal feeling. Some games are designed to work best with rtwp while others are designed to be turn based. I wonder if it is even worth of effort money wise to do such massive overhaul later.

To see that turn based it what people actually want these days, gives me this surreal feeling. Some games are designed to work best with rtwp while others are designed to be turn based. I wonder if it is even worth of effort money wise to do such massive overhaul later.

Yep, absolutely. I mean I welcome it. But it's not worth much if the alternative mode sucks then.

Imho the TB mode in POE2 barely worked. And if you look at the first games which had both modes at release, like Fallout Tactics and XCom Apocalypse, both modes worked worse than pure TB did in the predecessors.

It either has to be done right, or it doesnt need to be done at all. And doing it that late after release, I am not sure how useful it is anyways. But maybe thats the idea, just give the game a little push, get it into the news again.

Tried out Kingmaker, just to see if it's even worth to install the turn-based mod: GUI is horrifically small, small icons, small fonts, small tooltips everywhere, even with the ridiculous 1.2 text size. The team made bad UI design decisions regards size, not filling out the whole screen - I think they thought that everybody uses wide-monitors now so they just conveniently support that.. - , just the "movie-screen space" in the center for resolution 1280x1024. :D Bad engine decision regards trainwreck Unity, which has the worst in Font Size + UI Scale Support.
FUN FACTOR:
Also the game is NOT fun, but forced-happy and LAME INTRO + it carries the horrible plague of long and boring dialogue texts and the narration - character voices are mostly insufferable. Bad choices plague this one. Maybe the character creation art direction is okay and would be nice, if I could see much of it.. :D But of course not. Its all for wide monitors now, which is good as Kingmaker is a bad game anyway.

UI:
Bad sizing & layout of character generation screen. Who the FCK had the stupid idea that the main menu should sloooOOoOowly turn into view in 3D? Anyway. Bad game. If it walks ugly, if it quacks ugly, then its a rotten duck!

REFUNDED

A V O I D W A R E!!!

I am sorry, but if your main point to say that the game is an "avoidware" is the UI size, maybe what you need is a larger monitor (or even glasses??). I found that playing in my desktop with a larger monitor is way more pleasant than playing on my laptop's monitor. Moreover, PF rules are complex and IMO the devs did a great job in the UI with the amount of information they had to deal with. Given that you asked for a refund, you probably couldn't even pass the intro, so I won't even consider what you said about the story. Just keep in mind that this game is based on a very successful tabletop RPG campaign, that's even getting a second edition.

Back
Top Bottom