HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Techraptor explains the character generation in Pathfinder: Kingmaker:

Chargen - Character Generation for Pathfinder: Kingmaker

A Beginners Guide to Building your First Character

The Definitive Edition of Pathfinder: Kingmaker is finally coming to consoles with an all new turn-based mode, and with that, it is a chance to introduce Pathfinder to a whole new audience. Kingmaker is a long, classic computer RPG that adapts the crunchiness--the complexity of the mechanics--of the tabletop quite well, but it also serves as a major barrier of entry for those looking to get into the title with relative ease.

Simply put, every aspect of Pathfinder: Kingmaker is an exercise of the player's knowledge of the game's mechanics, from dealing with random-rolled attacks to manipulating numbers based on resistances, saving throws, and abilities. Character creation is a hallmark of many great RPGs, and for Kingmaker this is taken to another level by being incredibly detailed. The Definitive Edition alone offers 16 different classes, nine races, and a multitude of options to fully customize your character.

With Kingmaker coming to consoles, perhaps it's time to give a general explanation for character generation, so everyone can at least understand the intricate mechanics at play here. So this guide will do just that: walk through the basic character-creation process and provide some insight for players to help guide them through character creation.

Please note: This guide is intended for newer players who are curious about crunchy computer-role playing games, but have little to no experience with them. Pathfinder as a tabletop game is notoriously (and arguably needlessly) complex, and many guides over-rely on the jargon without ever explaining what most of that terminology means.

[...]
More information.

Well kudos to them but it's a little to late for most PC players. I'm guessing they only posted this article because the game is almost ready to be released on consoles.:)

Well kudos to them but it's a little to late for most PC players. I'm guessing they only posted this article because the game is almost ready to be released on consoles.:)

Or for those who wait for the definitive editions or, like me, who become interested thanks to turn based mode. :)

With games like this its never too late. Me for example, when replaying cRPG with complex character building, I often spend great amounts of time just choosing interesting build options and testing them, before I make final choice for the replay. And going through different guides and forums for interesting opinions and ideas is part of the fun. :)

Cant wait to go through it once again after TB mode is oficially released.

Yeah I'll give it a spin with turn-based, if that can keep combat engaging and interesting all through the game it will help a lot to be able to get past Act 3 this time.

Turn-based…blah..blah..hate RTwP…blah..and so on.
Sorry I usually ignore these posts.:rolleyes:

Nothing else to say really just that I'm tired of reading them.

Anyway there is nothing new in the game except a few fixes and the TB option so hardly definite anything. It's just a fancy name to attract attention for the console versions.

Obsidian and Larian did the same thing.:)

Anyway there is nothing new in the game except a few fixes and the TB option so hardly definite anything. It's just a fancy name to attract attention for the console versions.

With TB mode I just may play a magic using class. Not a fan of magic users in RTwP. Such a good game I just may have to give it another go. Have played with the Paladin and Ranger.

With TB mode I just may play a magic using class. Not a fan of magic users in RTwP. Such a good game I just may have to give it another go. Have played with the Paladin and Ranger.
That I can agree on usually the fighters kill the enemy before you cast a spell. You can blame the rule-set where it takes a few seconds to cast higher levels of magic.

In PoE and Original Sin 1&2 the spells were cast immediately so its a big difference. So I don't know if its changed or how it's implemented in the new turn-based mode.

You could go on with the list much longer as its usual behaviour for developers and publishers these days. Just saying.

You could go on with the list much longer as its usual behaviour for developers and publishers these days. Just saying.
Yeah I just didn't list them. In theory it's poor practice but in the business sense you can't blame them. They are trying to make more money off an older product that's all.

Also chose Paladin for my first playthrough. Was bit disappointed when I found out alignment can be corrected in town with single click. Well whatever, nothing is perfect I guess.

Also chose Paladin for my first playthrough. Was bit disappointed when I found out alignment can be corrected in town with single click. Well whatever, nothing is perfect I guess.

But you can choose not to "fix" your alignment :)

I personally have no issues playing arcane classes in RTwP. I finished my second run as empyreal sorceress without any problem. It's a great addition to the game since you can switch in and out of TB mode but I doubt I will ever use it.

In an article meant to introduce Pathfinder to new players, it mentions the new turn-based mode in a single sentence. And yet, here we are, with most posters repeating themselves on RTWP vs Turn-Based opinions.

There's gotta be a psychological diagnosis for this; Beat the dead horse you're familiar with syndrome?

Looks like someone needs a nap or forgot to take his medications.:lol:
But you can choose not to "fix" your alignment

I personally have no issues playing arcane classes in RTwP. I finished my second run as empyreal sorceress without any problem. It's a great addition to the game since you can switch in and out of TB mode but I doubt I will ever use it.
Don't think I ever used the reset alignment option. I see why others might consider it immersion breaking though. I'll probably try TB as you can toggle it on and off.

Anyhow someone shared a short video from there time playing TB.

Link - https://www.reddit.com/r/Pathfinder...ficial_turnbased_mode_beta_thought_id_post_a/

But you can choose not to "fix" your alignment :)

During my first playthrough I didnt realize this option is in the game and went through allignment correction the hard way. But Im not sure I would be able to resist using this option if I knew about it. I would start to doubt reason why developers put it in. It would make me question if the reason is ithat this gameplay aspect is not balanced well so they "removed" it this way from game.

During my first playthrough I didnt realize this option is in the game and went through allignment correction the hard way. But Im not sure I would be able to resist using this option if I knew about it. I would start to doubt reason why developers put it in. It would make me question if the reason is ithat this gameplay aspect is not balanced well so they "removed" it this way from game.

IIRC, this feature wasn't in the initial release - it was added due to fan feedback.

Isn't alignment "fix" a difficulty option? As long as it's an option I can toggle off I'm fine with it, but I agree it's preferable to actually not be able to do it once I'm invested in a playthrough.

Isn't alignment "fix" a difficulty option? As long as it's an option I can toggle off I'm fine with it, but I agree it's preferable to actually not be able to do it once I'm invested in a playthrough.

It's using a particular scroll sold by priest merchants in the capital.

I've replayed the game recently. It is as great as I had in mind. (Of course still with flaws.)

And after again considering pros and cons I'm now certain for myself that I don't like the time restrictions in quests and kingdom management. While it adds to the game, I just can't and enjoy it as I enjoy other games. There's aconstant feeling of being rushed. I don't want that in my RPGs.

It'll be interesting to see how the console folks will like it.

A Beginners Guide to Building your First Character

Usually this means for me get out CheatEngine and modify character creation points to make a demigod, 1st level "D&D character" who shows very promising skills even at gamebegin. Try to beat the SHT out of NPCs, rob them, steal everything, heist banks, rob caves. Essentially become a Yakuza.

Because hacking the game and smashing the carefully designed game-world - designers spent lots of hours on to balance - gives me the real satisfaction. :> :sarcasm:

Evil-Grin.jpg

Back
Top Bottom