Graywalkers - Content Update August 21st

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
New content for Graywalkers Purgatory will release August 21st. Screenshots at the link.

We wanted to announce that we are moving the release of the new Content Update #1 for Graywalkers Purgatory to August 21, 2020. We felt that we needed to do a bit more testing, balancing and polishing before we get the update in your hands.

Despite the delay though, we are excited to get the game in your hands when it does. The introduction of the Overwatch feature in the game is pretty good and we've even improved it beyond other Overwatch features from other games. Characters can now get abilities that improve their capabilities with regards to overwatch. By default, overwatch triggers when any movement or attack is made by an opponent within range. The new abilities now affect how well you function with or against Overwatch.

Also, we're just polishing and testing the missions we have. We will be including about 10-12 missions with the content update but we have much more ready to follow in the months to come. We are hoping to release 1-2 new missions every month at the minimum after the content update. This brings the mission count to at least 20 missions in the game

In addition, the extra time will allow us to introduce a few more nice small features like an improved Inventory system, highlighting for interactive objects, and some minor improvements that we did not get to mention but have already included.

So we apologize for this delay but we promise it will be worth the wait. Thank you again to all the Graywalkers out there who bought the game and continue to support us.

[...]
Thanks Farflame!

More information.

Couple years ago their cemetery map looked so nice, I congratulated them on the familiarity to XCOM: EW.

Is there an estimation on when it will leave EA?

I laugh at that question as it has no answer. As it's been six years since it was funded. I could give a rough estimate of whenever they feel the need to complete the game.

Anyway latest developer comments suggest they are trying to get the game on GOG.

Well from the news-bit content Update#1 isn't even released yet. That suggests the game is far from being complete. Just my guess though. Take it with a grain of salt.

It's as if leeching on players for years without pressure or commitment with an unfinished product is more profitable than actually working properly on it to finish it sell it legally. Who knew?

This Early Access thing, doing so much good to the industry and its consuners.

But hey, at least they post a dev blog every month or two, so that means they are sweating blood on daily basis to get the product finished for those who already paid. Right?

I laugh at that question as it has no answer. As it's been six years since it was funded. I could give a rough estimate of whenever they feel the need to complete the game.

Anyway latest developer comments suggest they are trying to get the game on GOG.

Worst possible decision from their part GOG will be, as the game is looking to be instantly pirated. Any of their updates on GOG too will land in pirate hands meaning potential loss of customer base.

Apparently they like to learn lessons the hard way, like the soldiers of D-Day, (156,000 American, British and Canadian forces landed on five beaches along a 50-mile stretch of the heavily fortified coast of France’s Normandy region.) They learned the hard way too..

Solution:
Release exclusively on Steam and let their income stabilize in the following months / year as they finish the game & improve on it. Then when Steam sales flatten and get stuck, release on GOG. Always be on the lookout for pirated releases of the game and as soon as a pirated version appears on the net, update the game instantly on Steam only. Delay.. delay.. the update to GOG, in order to increase sales.

We'll probably do the same, hard pass on GOG, when the financial survival of the developer is at stake!

Worst possible decision from their part GOG will be, as the game is looking to be instantly pirated. Any of their updates on GOG too will land in pirate hands meaning potential loss of customer base.

Apparently they like to learn lessons the hard way, like the soldiers of D-Day, (156,000 American, British and Canadian forces landed on five beaches along a 50-mile stretch of the heavily fortified coast of France’s Normandy region.) They learned the hard way too..

Solution:
Release exclusively on Steam and let their income stabilize in the following months / year as they finish the game & improve on it. Then when Steam sales flatten and get stuck, release on GOG. Always be on the lookout for pirated releases of the game and as soon as a pirated version appears on the net, update the game instantly on Steam only. Delay.. delay.. the update to GOG, in order to increase sales.

We'll probably do the same, hard pass on GOG, when the financial survival of the developer is at stake!
Okay…You do know Steam releases get cracked easily as well, but hey I'll concede and say your right about the pirates. It's a lot easier to pirate the DRM-free release.

So whats the game you keep mentioning you are working on?o_O

Solution:

You know that every game is pirated day 1, with the only exceptions being games with Denuvo protection and microsoft's. Or some obscure games that pirates don't care.

It's as if leeching on players for years without pressure or commitment with an unfinished product is more profitable than actually working properly on it to finish it sell it legally. Who knew?
I guess the difference is that in case of EA you get your money during development.
It could still that having EA is less profitable overall. However it could still make sense for the developer when they otherwise would have to close down due to budget shortage.

You know that every game is pirated day 1, with the only exceptions being games with Denuvo protection and microsoft's. Or some obscure games that pirates don't care.

I'm probably the minority here.

Denuvo is the devil and I'll intentionally use a cracked version. Theres very few games that Denuvo can't be stripped from, it just takes groups a week/month or so to do. I've never cared about playing day 1 anyway.

On the flipside I'd pay double for a GoG release and definitely support a large share of indie developers.

Pirated games are cancer, not because of the morality implications ie stealing is still stealing even if you do it annonymously and online, and by doing it you don't support the people who give you dozens of hours of entertainment, which is greedy and immoral both.

But also you get no support, updates, patches, online features/rewards, etc and normally what you get instead is a nice package of trojans and activity tracking bugs with the package.

The only use piracy used to have for someone who actually wants to enjoy playing games was to try out things you're not sure if they're worth buying, but not even that these days, since Steam for example allows you to very liberally purchase games and refund them if you don't like them while actually stating in the reason for the refund that you don't like them.

I mean, if you're broke, have no job and live with your mum with an old computer that barely runs current games, but can't give up on getting new things to play, sure, pirate away, since that's the best you get. But I wouldn't play a pirated game I care about even if was given money for it.

This Early Access thing, doing so much good to the industry and its consuners.

But hey, at least they post a dev blog every month or two, so that means they are sweating blood on daily basis to get the product finished for those who already paid. Right?

I backed this game, because 6 years ago I liked their pitch. That said they are developing very slowly. They had 2 kickstarters, but the money is long gone. What they did put on early access were a number of missions that are supposedly precursors to the campaign to develop the backgrounds of particular characters. Most of the systems apparently work fairly well, but the game is a very low on content at the moment, at least there is only a small percentage of what they wanted to put in the game.
They hoped the early access release would give them more funds to speed up finishing the game, but according to their Kickstarter updates the early access was a dismal financial failure. They are now pinning their hopes on being able to attract more players and more funds with a big update.
I'm honestly not sure if the game will ever be finished as they initially evisioned it.
I personally will play it whenever they decide its finished or that its no longer feasable to finish it.
I think they are a team with a lot of passion, but like with many Kickstarter projects, they were inexperienced with game development and things have taken vastly longer than they had planned, and I unfortunately doubt they'll ever make a cent off this games that hasn't already been spent.

I mean, if you're broke, have no job and live with your mum with an old computer that barely runs current games, but can't give up on getting new things to play, sure, pirate away, since that's the best you get.

Even that is not an excuse to pirate games. You can easily get free games from Steam, GoG, Uplay, and EPIC stores without paying an penny as part of their many offers each month. If that is not enough to keep one busy until the day they die, there is a ton of free and legitimate abandonware that can keep you busy for even longer!

I'm probably the minority here.

Denuvo is the devil and I'll intentionally use a cracked version. Theres very few games that Denuvo can't be stripped from, it just takes groups a week/month or so to do. I've never cared about playing day 1 anyway.

You probably don't gain much from using the cracked version. Denuvo is so deeply woven into the code of the game that it's not stripped out - they just insert work-arounds to trick it.

The only case I know of where they actually stripped it out was Assassin's Creed: Origins, where, long after the standard crack was released, a hacking group spent months working on actually removing Denuvo, which was described as a herculean task. They did it as a proof of concept, and to investigate whether there would be a performance difference without Denuvo. The benchmarks showed that loading times were improved, but the actual game performance difference was within the margin of error.

Back
Top Bottom