Wasteland 3 - Release Day

Yeah - it even runs on my 12 year old computer with a GTX 970.

Dammit, my 870m falls short of the minimum specs, and it doesn't seem to be coming to Stadia or Geforce Now (presumably because of the Microsoft deal). I'm very jealous of those playing it, it looks great! One day, when I upgrade, one day….

Since everyone is honeymooning about this game, I guess I'll be the one who points some of its many obnoxious flaws.

- The camera is floaty, unresponsive, and very annoying to deal with, and there is no option in the game menus to mitigate this in any way. And this is something you have to deal with constantly, during the whole span of the game. I would have loved if they have thought about it.
- The conversations are slow and laggy, especially on multiplayer. Makes navigating through NPC convos a bit of an ordeal that my partner and I have grown to dread over the little over an hour we've played so far.
- That is when you actually get multiplayer to work. I don't really know if this is Wasteland 3 or xBox app's fault, so in all justice I won't blame the game fully for it, but when we managed to get playing, after several network gimmicks that we wouldn't have managed if my partner wasn't quite savvy on the matter, we don't even get to see each other's IDs or character names, you are just playing with a "Remote Player".
- The vast majority of NPCs are like. So. Fucking. Boring. Could we ask for more generic and dull companions, while we're at it? No accents, no quirks, no life in them. Just cliche stuff all over the place.
- Apparently my 1080 GTX TI can handle Horizon Zero Dawn in ultra settings at 60+ with all its alledged optimization problems, but as soon as you shoot an oil barrel and spil some fire over the ground in Wasteland 3 in not even max settings, with shadows and anti-aliasing off, my FPS drops to 0.5. I suppose my rig is not up to the standards needed to play it.

All that aside, the bits I managed to play were entertaining. Combat feels like a step up from teh previous games, and I like the plot/setting. All in all, worth the £1 I paid to gamepass for it.

Hey, thanks for the feedback, just a couple responses as I can't speak to everything in detail (not a writer or engineer etc.).

- In multiplayer, you can change the Multiplayer Conversation Response Time in the options menu. There is a timer so that the player not controlling the conversation can read along and won't get caught off guard if the other player is a faster reader or skips ahead. However, you can adjust this to taste if both players are fast readers or just want to skip through the dialog.

- If you're not both playing through the same platform, then you need to do direct IP connections as the different online services won't talk to one another. That said, I definitely get where you're coming from, and being able to customize player names in direct IP games is a good suggestion.

That's set to 0, there's still certain "conversation lag". It's not a deal breaker, but it's there, sometimes even in single player.

We're both on Xbox app for PC. The whole thing is a mess, so it's why I don't feel it's fair to blame the game for it, but the multiplayer capabilities at current are definitely less than optimal in that platform.

Since everyone is honeymooning about this game, I guess I'll be the one who points some of its many obnoxious flaws.

- The camera is floaty, unresponsive, and very annoying to deal with, and there is no option in the game menus to mitigate this in any way. And this is something you have to deal with constantly, during the whole span of the game. I would have loved if they have thought about it.
- The conversations are slow and laggy, especially on multiplayer. Makes navigating through NPC convos a bit of an ordeal that my partner and I have grown to dread over the little over an hour we've played so far.
- That is when you actually get multiplayer to work. I don't really know if this is Wasteland 3 or xBox app's fault, so in all justice I won't blame the game fully for it, but when we managed to get playing, after several network gimmicks that we wouldn't have managed if my partner wasn't quite savvy on the matter, we don't even get to see each other's IDs or character names, you are just playing with a "Remote Player".
- The vast majority of NPCs are like. So. Fucking. Boring. Could we ask for more generic and dull companions, while we're at it? No accents, no quirks, no life in them. Just cliche stuff all over the place.
- Apparently my 1080 GTX TI can handle Horizon Zero Dawn in ultra settings at 60+ with all its alledged optimization problems, but as soon as you shoot an oil barrel and spil some fire over the ground in Wasteland 3 in not even max settings, with shadows and anti-aliasing off, my FPS drops to 0.5. I suppose my rig is not up to the standards needed to play it.

All that aside, the bits I managed to play were entertaining. Combat feels like a step up from teh previous games, and I like the plot/setting. All in all, worth the £1 I paid to gamepass for it.

Thank You for the amazing report! I can't wait to NOT buy this game ever! After I successfully managed to avoid Waste-Of-Time I and II and now 3.

Just because it didn't end up being what you would want doesn't mean they didn't think about it. They just came to different conclusions.

That said, the camera is the only thing bugging me at all right now. I wouldn't call it floaty, though… more like rubber bandy. When I'm moving the cursor around in combat it constantly feels like it's tugging me where I don't want to go. I also wish one could adjust the speed of the camera rotation (if that's in the settings somewhere, I didn't find it). There's no weight to it (probably the floaty you're referring to)… never thought I'd actually want acceleration, but it might feel better here.

Last edited:
One other tiny thing that I didn't like, but quickly adapted to.

When you're talking to a key NPC and the view changes to show their fully animated person, the dialogue will advance on its own from screen to screen. The button to advance the dialogue is still on the screen, as it always is, and I mistakenly skipped some dialogue as a result. When you talk to anyone else, only as much dialogue as will fit on the screen at once will display until you push/click that button, and then it will advance to the next bit of dialogue. That's probably an unnecessary bit of disconnect to have the two be different.

Thank You for the amazing report! I can't wait to NOT buy this game ever! After I successfully managed to avoid Waste-Of-Time I and II and now 3.
I can't wait till you release your game. I'll call it poetic justice.:biggrin:

Question for those playing: on the inventory screen, if I move my cursor onto the status icons at the far left, I can't move the cursor anymore. The only thing I can do is exit the menu entirely and go back in. Am I missing something? Seems like a bug.

I played a bit further, and I'm still enjoying it, though it's honestly tedious to deal with the lag all over the place, especially in "hubs" with a number of NPCs, turning the camera or even just pressing Shift to highlight objects makes my computer freeze, that while running the game in a clean Windows 10 install on a high quality SSD, with, as mentioned before, a 1080 GTX TI GPU. I wouldn't have imagined that my setup couldn't handle a game like this, but there it is. The good thing you don't really need the FPS for the most part to enjoy a turn-based RPG, but I'm still hoping for HiddenX to use his admin powers to start a ruckus about Wasteland 3 optimization problems.

The game is running smooth as butter for me running win7 with 1060 GTX and 16 gigs of ram on an ordinary hard drive. Load times can be a little long but nothing that I can't handle. Maybe the problem is ram for some people? I have the GOG version.

I haven't had any bugs, either. Only thing I've noticed is the camera is slightly sluggish when zooming in or out, which isn't terribly unusual in general. Playing on a laptop with 32GB of RAM and a 1080 GTX through the Xbox app for PC.

Switch to fullscreen. The game has issues running in a window. Graphical detail dont help at all with performance. But once you switch to fullscreen its butter smooth.

I can't wait till you release your game. I'll call it poetic justice.:biggrin:

What's the name of the game Mercy is working on? I beg your pardon but if he already said it here, I must have skipped his post, so if anyone can tell me, I'd appreciate that.

Back
Top Bottom