Microsoft buys Logitech ?

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Hello, everyone,

I just read a rumor about Microsoft buying Logitech.

If so, this would give them "superior power" in the market of mice etc. .

Monopolism is a good thing. For those who hold them.

Alrik

I buy Logitech gear because it's NOT M$!! That would be a VERY bad thing!!

Anything is better than M$!! :)

Logitech makes great gear, it would suck to see them absorbed into the collective. I can only hope that this is not true. Seriously, their kit has been far and away the best gear for me as long as I can remember. Tragedy, if true.

My latest razor mouse is better than anything ms or logitech ever offered. Theres plenty of mousemakers over there.

Microsoft mouse are not totally bad either. They even used to make the best of joysticks until cancelling the production due to the quality been too high or somthing.

Anything is better than M$!! :)

Couldn't agree more. I bought a microsoft mouse once and the dang thang didn't even work. It was wireless but it would lose connection all the time. I went back to Logitech and never had another problem, I don't buy wireless anymore too.

Isn't there some sort of law against one company owning everything in the known world?

Isn't there some sort of law against one company owning everything in the known world?
Well, there are monopoly laws just about everywhere, but also ways to be dominant without actually being a monopoly ...

I have actually had great experience with my MS Intellimouse Explorers ... to the point of not having bought a new mouse in ~5 years or so since buying a 5-pack.

I'm currently using an PS/2 mouse by ... Compaq. ;)
But manufactured by Logitech.

Well, I'm still curious how this rumor will turn out ...

Well its definitely a rumour

http://www.reuters.com/article/technology-media-telco-SP/idUSL1049519220080111

I'm not seeing any sources that would give it substance though. Logitech has been hurt in recent days by MS's continued push into selling webcam's and other such devices that logitech makes.

I wonder if this is some sort of strategy for the XBox because they don't seem to be interested in just shutting them down. Logitech dominates; they aren't a small upstart chipping away at MS's market.

Logitech's stock is up 12% because of it. Apparently they are a Swiss company.

There is a separate rumour at the same time that MS is looking to buy Yahoo.

---

On RAZR mice, are those things really expensive and super precise? Something like 6000dpi?

My latest razor mouse is better than anything ms or logitech ever offered. Theres plenty of mousemakers over there.
Bah, Razer hasn't made anything remotely close to the comfort my MX 700 or my MX 1000 provide *to me*. Everyone's different where mice are concerned in my experience. It's like the folks at Logitech are designing with my hands in mind, I love 'em. ;)

It seems to be that MS apparently have abandoned the PC and now is trying to get everyone to an Xbox 360, so that they can sell all things Xbox to them i.e. controllers, webcams, and other stuff. MS also wants to make it so that you can download movies from (their?) online site(s) to you Xbox 360 so you can watch them on your TV. I thought this could already done on PC?

In an article in a Danish newspaper about the recently held CES electronics convention, the writer states quite calmly that big corporations like Sony or MS or other in the video/tv/movie industry wants you to buy everything from them. This means that if cannot own a Sony TV, a Philips DVD-recorder and an Xbox 360, since they don't come from the big corporations. This actually limits the freedom of the consumers. If big corporations like MS, Sony, Philips etc. get away with this, this could also mean that only PS3 players could play with each other over PSN and only Xbox 360 owners are allowed to play with each other over Xbox live. And if they have a Philips TV, they can't see anything anyway, since it probably won't support the showing of the content.

Quite frankly, I don't understand why Microsoft and all the other big corporations are hurrying into markets in which they have no qualifications instead of just continue doing what they do best e.g. MS making great operating systems, Sony making TV etc. Why do they have to compete, trying to shuffle everything they can into one product, selling and making stuff in areas in which they clearly not that competent :S

of all my 'quipment, the mouse has been the last to undergo any type of high tech upgrade other than going to laser (shudders at the thought of old ball mice). I use the Dell mouse that came w/ my pc!

It's small, fit's right in the palm of my paw, has a wheel/button on top.... what more do I need??? Before I used this one, I used a Logitech one of the exact same type except a different color. Any other mice just seem too big and unwieldy.

As far as MS buying Logitech, it wont break my heart. I use MS products, and Logitech products, and like both.

On RAZR mice, are those things really expensive and super precise? Something like 6000dpi?

My razor deathadder cost like 45(?) € and it won the Esreality 2007 test that is the one and only mouse benchmark there is:

http://www.esreality.com/?a=longpost&id=1300293&page=5

The instant I switched my ms explorer to the deathadder my killscores rose in FPS games like TF2. Som classes like sniper and scout where I was not so good before - became my favorites.

Whether mouse is good or not is not just about dpi. Its much more than that:

Perfect Control
When you move your mouse it may result in turning your viewpoint in an FPS game, moving the cursor in an RTS game, or something else like rotating a tank turret. In each case the importance of using a mouse is the proportionate response. If you move the mouse slowly you expect to turn slowly or the cursor to scroll slowly. If you move quickly you want to be turning faster or the cursor to move quickly across the screen. If someone creeps up behind you in a game you want to be able to make a wild flick of the mouse to face your opponent quickly and return fire. The ideal mouse response is a linear one, where moving the mouse twice as fast results in a response of "twice as much". I define Perfect Control as the top speed up to which the mouse performs exactly as it should.

Malfunction Speed
Another important factor in choosing a mouse is the fastest speed you can move before it gives up and decides to fire the next rocket at your feet. I call this the Malfunction Speed, where the mouse loses control and effectively stops working. When you flick your mouse beyond the Malfunction Speed, anything can happen. You may either end up looking in any random direction or just find you haven't turned around at all. All optical and laser mice must have a Malfunction Speed, so we want it to be as high as possible so you don't notice it.

Dots-per-inch
With a printer, the DPI (dots per inch) tells you how well the printer can translate information from the computer onto paper. For a mouse, the DPI value tells you how well the mouse can translate your hand movements to the computer. It would seem that a higher DPI would theoretically mean a better mouse? Before you run out to buy the highest DPI mouse we should think carefully about how much DPI is actually useful on a computer that spends most of its time displaying images made up of pixels. I discuss this a little more on the next page.

http://www.esreality.com/?a=longpost&id=1265679&page=1

Bah, Razer hasn't made anything remotely close to the comfort my MX 700 or my MX 1000 provide *to me*. Everyone's different where mice are concerned in my experience. It's like the folks at Logitech are designing with my hands in mind, I love 'em. ;)

Whether mouse fits ones hand depends on ones hand of course. Som mouse are better suited to move with palm while others are best used with fingers and sofort.

If you have a big hand then a small mouse might not work for you. Personally I like smaller mouses that are best suited to move with fingers. The deathadder works just great atleast for me.

Last edited:
In an article in a Danish newspaper about the recently held CES electronics convention, the writer states quite calmly that big corporations like Sony or MS or other in the video/tv/movie industry wants you to buy everything from them.

First steps towards the Megacompanies we often hear about in some Sci-Fi stories.

Whether mouse fits ones hand depends on ones hand of course. Som mouse are better suited to move with palm while others are best used with fingers and sofort.

If you have a big hand then a small mouse might not work for you. Personally I like smaller mouses that are best suited to move with fingers.
Yep, ergonomics first for me and then technical superiority. Too bad too because I do understand the technical merits of the Razer line. They do have a few more models since last I looked also. Too bad I can't try them out since no one around here stocks them to my knowledge... The units I have been able to sample are from friends at LAN parties...

Logitech would be quite expensive. They are the world´s leading brand for mice and keyboards, and they have been very successful over the last decade. One record quarter after the other, growing all the time. Logitech has money on the bank and they are healthy. They don´t need to sell.

Back
Top Bottom