WotR Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous - Tips & Tricks & Help

Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous
It is a taking a very long time but I am slowly finding my answers to things about the ending on the WOTR Discord. Hell of a lot of chat to search and scan through though. At least satisfying my curiosity.

I read many things but I think this quote sums up my view of the secret ending - again MAJOR END GAME SPOILER STUFF. This is a short one though :p And its quote that summarizes most of what I have been reading/viewing.

Right? But she doesn't pretend that her dead kid is why she tore open the wound and shoved her kids remnants into you, it was just an extreme motivator. If you think about it, Ascension is essentially convincing a grieving mother that you are their child and should help you ascend to godhood, potentially throwing her away afterwards.

Some quick thoughts on why I see this as dark:

She killed millions to bring her kid back. How many other mothers did she cause to have their own kids lost due to the worldwound and her actions? How many orphans did she make? It is a lame justification and considering how many other people lose their children and don't carry out mass murder I have less sympathy.

To become a god you are basically helping an evil and mentally unbalanced witch and pretending, perhaps, to be her child so she will help you. Your power comes from dead demon lords basically even if you use it for good. I was okay with the mythic part but then working with this evil to make myself a god doesn't sit right. Consequently I see this ending as only for evil characters myself.

Joxer has a valid point if you do it to make your followers ascend they are not making the evil choice as then they have no say in it - of course that is more evil on your part by doing it whether they want you to or not.

In conclusion all my additional research still leads me to believe Mythic, which you had no initial choice on, is as far as I can go morally and feel okay about it. I feel Mythic Legend might be the best option if you want to make your soul your very own. I will see how that goes in the next play through.

Last edited:
OK, I finally got irritated after returning from the Abyss and having to rebuild the crusade almost from scratch. So I turned on auto-crusade or whatever its called. Now I see the towns I built at huge cost - with teleporters - have magically vanished, so I have to crawl over the map, constantly sleeping and incurring corruption. I trvael until we're 'exhausted' to avoid sleeping but then you are more likely to be ambushed.

1) How are you supposed to travel across the map (without teleporters) and avoid ending up in a screwed state because of corruption? You have to sleep. And you have to explore, since the paths are hidden - so back and forth, means you are more likely to have to sleep. The 'reduce corruption' ritual does very little, even if it works. And the corruption reduction places you find also only knock it down a small amount - they should reset it to 0.

2) Why did my towns vanish? I spent vast amounts of time and money building all that. If they are going to disallow teleports, have some late-game way of moving around without getting totallys crewed over by corruption.

3) there is no longer a skip day button - parts of the map (everything I can see that I need to get too) seems to be blocked behind demon fotresses. So I can't actually do anything. Am I supposed to stay at home sleeping repeatedly until something happens? If so, that's really poor design.

I really have 0 interest in the crusading part of the game - but it is not clear how you are supposed to play without controlling this aspect. Walling off areas is all fine and well, but I need to know *why* and *when* they will open up.

I assumed that the auto-crusade mode would manage the battles and low level logistics, not the higher level functions (decrees - all of that is gone). That certainly wasn't made clear.

@joxer; - From this post the year may not matter:

You must enter the final location named Threshold on the map, not sooner or later then Third Week of Gozran. It is in between 16 and 21 dates of this month. According to Redditor Nalikill he achieved this ending on 4716, so it appears to be a month requirement not a year. Meaning as long as you do the ending between the dates of 16 of Gozran and 21st of Gozran you should achieve the ending.

Well OMG lol thanks for that.
In the replay I am trying not to rest unless I really don't have any other option just to save on time.
Ah well… Time to get rid of that annoying "custom". ;)

One more question, not for you only but for everyone who finished the game at least once.
If there was only one choice in the end, a binary one, to help either "mentally unbalanced witch" (Areelu) or mentally unbalanced bitch (the queen), who would you help? Who's scar on you was a heavier burden?
I believe you know my answer, but I'm interested what others think. :evilgrin:

OK, I finally got irritated after returning from the Abyss and having to rebuild the crusade almost from scratch.
You've returned with 3 million of cash in your pocket.
You rebuild everything in 5 minutes of your time.

But you need to skip (sleep) 3 days in order to use generals again.

What got you irritated made me despise the queen even more.
I assumed that the auto-crusade mode would manage the battles and low level logistics, not the higher level functions (decrees - all of that is gone). That certainly wasn't made clear.
All I know about the automode that it locks out several quests.
Even if it was a horrible version of gwent, and it isn't, locked quests means a huge NO in my book.

Last edited:
Thanks Purple and aye I understand, however … EVEN BIGGER END GAME SPOILERS AHEAD …

… regardless of of how she views you (and I had good enough approval for her to say her experiment was a success), good or bad, it doesn't change how your character was made, if I understood what I was reading correctly … which I may not be.

She wanted her child back including their memories. She had learned (from the notes at Noct's palace) that after a soul is judged only in ultra rare cases do memories come back … like for the divine. So she thought if she took her child's soul (touched by the abyss) with that of a pure mortal soul (your characters) and sewed them together, and then made your character mythic, that her child's memories would return.

Whether your character has good approval or bad, whether success or failure, the soul of your character is still that combination of her childs' soul and the characters soul. At least that is what I was thinking based on what I learned. Unless you remove it which seems to be what you do with the Mythic Legend approach.

Maybe she says it is a failure because the child's soul never awakens. That doesn't mean it is gone only that the memories failed to wake up. In the ML quest she wants to start over with you and that requires getting rid of your characters soul so she has her child's back … but I admit I am a bit unclear on what that was truly about.

Maybe she thinks it is a failure because her child's soul died or faded away, in which case it may no longer be part of your character. I was thinking it simply became completely absorbed into your characters soul over time, becoming one, much like the souls of supernatural creatures become one out of multiple human souls - since that ties into the lore. That still feels a little odd to me but then the whole idea of souls combining to make a new entity is strange.

So maybe she feels some of the memories have come back and are impacting you and so is a success .. or, if no memories came back, and/or the soul was absorbed, or faded, or died (not sure which), then she says it was a failure.

I guess in the "success" ending she feels her child now lives on through your character in some way so she is content.

I also read up on the secret ending, now that I know the basic story and finished once, and now know more about her secret lab and that if you carry out certain steps in the game you can gain full approval and work with her so you ascend … I guess becoming a god … and if you have enough crystals then Areelu and your companions can also ascend.

All pretty cool although what she did was very selfish and evil - killing millions to bring back the life of her child … and, of course, to remove herself and her child from ever having to worry about the gods and the "cycle" again. So not sure I would ever want to ascend (fully to godhood versus remaining mythic or becoming mortal again) knowing I would have to work with that evil … very doubtful.

That, however, is just me and I tend to RP more myself, or characters I am very close to, like Lobo, and hence rather focused on certain boundaries they don't cross.

All in all a very cool and deep ending though - I loved it even if I was a bit queasy about having her child's soul mixed in with my characters like that. Just feels a little strange.

I think Owlcats deliberately left it a bit vague so people can make their own head canon.

I don't feel comfortable going for a secret ending because (mega spoiler ahead - don't read if you haven't finished the game):

while I understand why Areelu did what she did, I think what she did is not right - so much death and destructon caused for a selfish reason.

At the same time though, I felt the hatred towards gods as she did - especially Pharasma. I hated the fact the best I can do for Areelu is to convince Pharasma not to sentence Areelu to the abyss (same fate as her daughter). I mean, it kinda started because Pharasma was petty enough to sentence a child to such horrible fate. Sending Areelu to the abyss, I can say is fair but not her child - and if Pharasma didn't do this, maybe Areelu didn't end up in such crazed state.

I don't know - this game made me dislike Pharasma and Iomedae quite a bit. Fan of Desna though lol

@joxer; - you need to get army project done for Plura's fall research to obtain the knowledge on timing of the secret ending - there should be a guide available for secret ending on Steam.

Yea Desna is my favorite of the Pathfinder Gods. Like everything about her really. Second would be Gozreh but that is only because of RP reasons since he is the closest to the god all my characters follow in all my own personal stories and lore.

Iomade to me is the typical lawful good kind of character and hence not very high on my list.

Pharasma ... it really boggles my mind why she did what she did. But that is something there seems to be no clue about in the game.

I liked the Queen, then hated her, then grew to understand her, and, in the end, I saved and supported her. In return I remember she loosened up a lot, saying that she truly regretted any hurt she had given my character and even given him a blessing of "May Iomade bless you ... or whichever higher power you follow" which I think for her was a lot of growth lol :)

So in the end I did a full 360 and came back around to liking her - which I guess will answer Joxer's question as well.

Perhaps my favorite part of the ending was the story line of the Redeemer Queen.

@Wolf;- thanks for the mod sugegstion - think it's too late, I have played on for some hours - my last save game is way back. I'll just contyinue and see how it pans out.
@joxer; - yeah the issue wasn't money to buy units, it is the slow rate at which you get units...so slow...and then my morale started going down because I was skipping time to try and get enough units so I could actually attack. As an eample, often amies have 500-1000+ units...I had max unit size of about 200. Result: slaughter (mine). And all because the rate of getting new units was so horribly slow. And so many units are useles s- I received (1) silver dragon - jeez, absolutely useless. And Azata whatnots - also uselss. I just don't have the energy to play the crusade mini-game.

Anyway, I managed to find a path to the south that wasn't there before (I'd explored that map section), so I can now access the areas (I think) that appeared blocked. Travel and corruption is still an issue - which makes no sense given that I'm practically a demi-god (and my armies could travel without any corruption issues). So I have to walk all the way back to drezen to get rid of it... There was a hint at my Azata quarters that there woiuld be an alternative. But that hasn't happened yet.

Won't quote, just refer to previous few posts.

I don't care about gods in this setting.
The game however shows you some and one is Iomedae.
The blueprint of unbearable paladins, all fancy, spectacular, pompous and disgusting in their holier than thou attitude.
If there was a way to destroy her, I'd do it, but the game doesn't allow it.

The rate of getting new units is not slow. You're supposed to be able to recruit all units that were generated in last 6 ingame months in Drezen.
See, the greedy queen stole what she could, but did not want to pay for new units just like some players have a problem to part with 15K pocketchange to recruit Greybor. ;)

Yes new trashmob packs have a huge number of units, but your AoE general and your archers instadestroy everything.
Archers. Not infantry and not cavalry.
The dragon is not archers. You will get a decree to recruit azata archers which are better than standard marksmen, but you won't be able to recruit as many.
When you combine trainable archers, decree archers and merc archers, you'll steamroll everything.

I can't show you chapter5 pic yet (ch4 currently in the replay), but here is my chapter 3 end pic on how a deadly army looks - notice there are no moneywasted HK in it:
pic.jpg

You won't be able to have the same setup in ch5 though, clerics will be gone, but you do have other type of trainable infantry to use instead.
Mongrel shooters you see on the pic won't be available till you do their quest is another example. But that's where azata archers come as an alternative unit. ;)

And there will be no Azata HQ alternative.
That might happen postgame, but I won't be buying DLC.

Last edited:
Chapter 4 hint (demon city).

In my first playthrough I didn't solve the titan rune "puzzle".
It's not among quests in the journal so I didn't know what's it about - thought it's a myth path specific quest. It's not, anyone can solve it.
While I won't be spoiling how to solve the puzzle unless someone wants me to write, it leads you to a supertough fight, almost impossible to beat.
True sight is mandatory (you didn't kill a certain companion yet, right?).
You also need to spam as many summons you can and definetly have at least two archers with you.

IMO this one should be one of the last things to do in that area, it's that hard.

Among tons of useless loot however you'll find something that will be very useful for MC.
A book that ups your CH +2 permanently, which will partially counter the effect from -4 CH should you accept "the gift" in mines.

Basically, if you won't accept the gift later, you don't need to bother with this "quest" at all.

You get an achievement for doing it, so you know if that's your thing.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

One more ch4 hint/spoiler.
When you enter abyss city the first inaccessible container (dimension door needed) contains a musthave weapon.
Inside other such inaccessible without teleportation containers all over the map are full of junk.
All but one.
In the so called "upper city" in the area with elevator to mage's tower.
You know where Lann/Wendu quest happens? Dimension door the party above the entrance.
You 'll find +10 persuasion goggles.
I'm saying don't bother with all roofs, just that one.

You need the cash from selling all that loot so you will loot *everything*?
Believe me even without all that +1, +2, +3 junk, you will be filthy rich without wasting time on looting useless garbage.
Besides you saved millions by killing Greybor, so where's the logic? :D

Last edited:
I think there's a bug with Balor in Drezen or I'm not understanding something. He's at 0HP according to the indicator and he gets hit for 100s damage per round yet doesn't die.

Am I missing something ?

EDIT: I used dispel and then it worked somehow

EDIT2: I retried the fight and he just needs to be at 0HP for a while it seems.

Attachments

• Balor (2).jpg
    Balor (2).jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:
No bug.
Use Coup de Grace (ability, click on any party member then on A in the circle (S is for spells, A for abilities and B for belt).

I think there's a bug with Balor in Drezen or I'm not understanding something. He's at 0HP according to the indicator and he gets hit for 100s damage per round yet doesn't die.

Am I missing something ?

EDIT: I used dispel and then it worked somehow

EDIT2: I retried the fight and he just needs to be at 0HP for a while it seems.

For some enemies, you need to check of they have regenration and if so, use the inspect button to find out how to remove regen.

The Balor in Drezen in particular, however, is not tied to regeneration or vulnerabilities, as far as I can tell - the reason he doesn't go down I believe is because it is a scripted encounter.

It's one of those "you can't kill this enemy here and now cus it's inconvenient to the way we wrote the story" moments that some games like to pull off now and then.

The reason you got him to 0 HP is mostly because you are playing a very easy difficulty, and you're just trumping what was intended to be a struggle to survive for a few rounds until he departs promising you to actually feel like killing you at some other time because according to him, right now you are not worth his time. Later on, you find other similar encounters.

I don't like that kind of thing, I feel it's cheap and detrimental to the narrative, but it is what it is. And yeah, it's not a bug, it's intended. Just stand around a few rounds until the script triggers the sequence in which he muahahas and leaves and the story will move on.

The Balor in Drezen in particular, however, is not tied to regeneration or vulnerabilities, as far as I can tell - the reason he doesn't go down I believe is because it is a scripted encounter.

It's one of those "you can't kill this enemy here and now cus it's inconvenient to the way we wrote the story" moments that some games like to pull off now and then.

The reason you got him to 0 HP is mostly because you are playing a very easy difficulty, and you're just trumping what was intended to be a struggle to survive for a few rounds until he departs promising you to actually feel like killing you at some other time because according to him, right now you are not worth his time. Later on, you find other similar encounters.

I don't like that kind of thing, I feel it's cheap and detrimental to the narrative, but it is what it is. And yeah, it's not a bug, it's intended. Just stand around a few rounds until the script triggers the sequence in which he muahahas and leaves and the story will move on.

Thanks for the explanation Nereida.

If you complete everything in Act 3, considering you're 45 hours in already, it will easily take you to the 100 hour mark before you end the Act. Which is fine, enjoy yourself ;)

Pladio do please clear the rumors that Aeon can convert certain person (sideswitcher;)) into an actual companion. Some sources say yes, some no, but they all agree in one thing that only Aeon specific dialogue can persuade that person into returning back.
I'd do it myself but I need to do the lich playthrough, don't have time for Aeon too. :(

……………………………………….

Due to a bug I got in the replay, here goes a hint related to that bug.
Posted it in another thread - if you pass the decree of upgrading outpost to bastion and not upgrade right after the decree ends, you won't be able to upgrade later.
Sounds confusing? It's not, you'll see yourself what am I talking about during chapter 3.

Should you care, should you bother?
Yes and no.
The reason to upgrade outposts is to be able to build some more stuff in them and one of those is the teleportation circle that allows you to instantly appear in any bastion that has it. Outposts cannot have it, that's why you need to upgrade.
But you can't upgrade all outposts, just a few.
Also keep in mind that you can upgrade only an outpost that has minimum of 3 buildings inside. You'll actually build 4 musthaves in every outpost (Supply Center and three Garrisons) which means every outpost of yours will end up upgradeable, but as I said, the number of bastions you can have is capped.

IMO there are only two key outposts you should upgrade and add teleportation circle inside: Vilareth Ford's and Tower of Yath. Those two will save you days of plodding over roads and resting due to exhaustion. All others are not as beneficial as these two.
So make sure you do the upgrading decree only when you have liberated these on the map and built all 4 musthave buildings inside.
VFord is available in chapter 2 already as it's south of Drezen, but ToYath you'll grab only in late chapter 3.

Is the bastion upgrade bug still there?

Is the bastion upgrade bug still there?

I believe it is, I haven't seen any patch notes indicating it was fixed. To avoid it, simply upgrade a bastion as soon as you complete the Decree, or at least before you complete next. Better safe than sorry!

Back
Top Bottom