The Waylanders - Review @ Wccf Tech

Redglyph

proud GASP member
Wccf Tech reviewed The Waylanders, which releases tomorrow.

The Waylanders Review - Harsh is the Life of a Celtic Warrior

Over the years, role-playing games have explored a lot of different settings ranging from the typical high-fantasy, D&D-inspired settings to sci-fi settings, but very few games have explored Celtic myths and lore. It's surprising, given that Celtic culture is extremely rich and well-suited for a video game setting, like the much more popular ancient Norse culture.

Being among the few games featuring a Celtic setting, The Waylanders definitely stands out from the competition in that regard. The fact that some of the story and gameplay mechanics are built around it could have elevated the game further if it wasn't for the shoddy execution and a severe lack of polish.

[...]

With its unique setting and interesting story mechanics powered by time-traveling, great sense of scale, and nice visuals, The Waylanders had the potential to be a remarkable role-playing game. The uneven pacing of the story, writing with wild quality shifts, the rather run-of-the-mill combat, the clunky interface, and a general lack of polish, however, make the game often frustrating to play, preventing it from reaching the heights it could have achieved.

Score: 6/10

Pros:

• Unique Celtic setting with nicely developed lore
  • Personable characters
  • Interesting time-traveling story mechanics
  • Nice visuals and sense of scale
  • Plenty of customization options...
Cons:

• ... that can be a little difficult to take full advantage of, due to the lack of in-depth tutorials
  • Clunky interface, with horrible controller support
  • Unexciting combat
  • General lack of polish that makes completing the simplest of actions frustrating
More information.

I haven’t followed this game closely, beyond watching a couple of streamers early impression videos, but I’ve been low-key looking forward to it. This review isn’t very positive. I’m not going to let one reviewer spoil my enthusiasm but it’s enough for me to move this title into my wait-and-see column.

I haven’t followed this game closely, beyond watching a couple of streamers early impression videos, but I’ve been low-key looking forward to it. This review isn’t very positive. I’m not going to let one reviewer spoil my enthusiasm but it’s enough for me to move this title into my wait-and-see column.

I'm not really following this game to be honest, though I've seen a few other reviews from the same author and it was usually fair. This one is a little sad indeed but you're right, let's wait for other opinions.

I suspect the consensus will be a resounding, "meh."

I love RTwP party based RPG but I think I will stay away from this one

Unless @wolfgrimdark; try out the game again and report positive impression ;)

I love RTwP party based RPG but I think I will stay away from this one

Unless @wolfgrimdark; try out the game again and report positive impression ;)

Since it has been close to release (or so they say) I haven't played any more. I got through a bunch of content - enough to get to the future time line and do some things - and I don't consider it horrible but it also isn't something keeping me up late at night playing.

I do own the game, however, so when its finally released I intend to give it a fair shake again. It was the voice over and dialogue, along with lack of environmental objects (set dressing I guess you would call it), that put me off the most.

I plan on making a post once I have played it more though.

Back
Top Bottom