Disgaea 5 - Launches 22nd October

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
@Gamingbolt After some delay Disgaea 5 is set to launch October 22nd.

Disgaea 5 Complete was announced to be coming to PC, but then saw a delay with no specific new release date shared. The good news is, we now have one, and it’s not that far off. NIS America announced today that the PC port of Disgaea 5 Complete will be coming to PC later this month, on October 22 to be specific.

[...]
More information.

I haven't played any Disgaea games since the first one many years ago. Has the formula changed or is it pretty much the same as the last four games in the series?o_O

The games are fairly similar, with the overall stories changing a bit from game to game. I already own this for the Switch, and will be buying it for the computer as well. I'm hoping the port over is a good one.

I only played maybe three hours' worth on the Switch, but I'm eager to play more. I've just really not cared for gaming anymore unless it is done on my computer, to be honest.

I really enjoyed Disgaea 1 but I was never able to get into the later ones that much. I think the story of the first was part of what appealed to me, it was just pretty unique. Later versions just didn't really do anything all that interesting with it, and the novelty was gone.

Even though I like JRPGs and tactical games, the Disgaeas have never appealed to me. It's the focus on grinding that drives me away.

I loved the first, hated the second, and skipped 3 & 4. But I picked up 5 on the PS4 shortly after it came out and played it through start to finish without an interruption. That rarely ever happens for me these days. There have been some additions since the 2nd for sure, though I can't compare it to 3 or 4.

They've added Evilities which work like passive traits. There's a board game like mini-game where you can gain stats and aptitude. There's also a feature to send team members to explore random Netherworlds and gain items and prisoners.

I liked it enough to buy 6 when it comes out and am considering going back to grab 4 which I've heard has one of the best casts in the series.

I've only played the ones that have been available for the computer, if I didn't state that earlier. I've heard both good and bad concerning both game three and four, but don't have first hand knowledge of either. Should they ever be released for the computer, I'll be taking a look at both.

I've enjoyed all of the Disgaea games to one degree or another, but always with some caveats. These games are built around grinding in order to accomplish things beyond simply playing through the story. If you don't like grinding, you will hate these games. If you are the type that wants to collect badges or do everything, you will hate them even more. The true key to these games is find the levels and abilities/switches/gadgets that allow you to grind as efficiently as possible. Maxxing stats, perfecting characters, perfecting items, etc... it's all post-game stuff really.

Also, the stories tend to be crazy, JRPG/Anime style stuff, with some of them being ok and some being awful. I like the tactical gameplay and I tend to tune out/ignore the story for the most part. If you are getting these for the story and their style is not your thing, again you will probably have a strong dislike for the games.

Honestly, I am continually surprised that this series survives in the US.

Back
Top Bottom