Fallout 76 - New Trailer

You guys realize there's zero new footage in this trailer, right?

A bunch of sites, including this one, have gotten trolled by this "new" trailer since yesterday. :)

I'm tired of the ironic "happy 1950s post-nuclear" schtick thing anyway. "LOL @ Nuka Cola., amirite??" OMG so ironic and funnyLOL.

I'm tired of Norse mythology settings and snow and ice too. Maybe I need a break from CRPGs…

I have zero interest in more PvP crap. Unless some shocking breakthrough happens, this game will become an endless pissing match of nerfs, balancing issues, and angry player bases split into various unhappy factions. Destiny 2 is actually really fun, but would have been a much better game if the developers could concentrate of pure power fantasy and forget about "balance" issues. PvP demands everything be more and more bland, as the devs throw all their resources into various PvP balance issues and tweaks while the open world stays largely generic reskins of the same enemies ad infinitum. Bad guys are mostly all humanoids within a modest size range of each other. Cannon fodder, bullet sponges with boring AI.

I'm tired of the ironic "happy 1950s post-nuclear" schtick thing anyway. "LOL @ Nuka Cola., amirite??" OMG so ironic and funnyLOL.
You're not alone there. The setting was great novelty in Fallout 1 and 2, but since then I think it's been suffering from 2 problems: (1) Fatigue / over-playedness, (2) Bethesda has shown that they don't really even understand the setting (nuking each other for sport in Fallout 76? Uh...)

Or Detroit. Since Detroit already looks like it's been through an apocalypse, it wouldn't be hard to translate it into a game world. ;)

I went through Detroit in 96 and 2004. You are right, some of the streets were worse than I seen overseas.

This one is not on my radar with the PVP and players having access to Nukes!! Coop with buddies would be much better. Im placing my hopes in Anthem now instead, so crossing my fingers :)

You're not alone there. The setting was great novelty in Fallout 1 and 2, but since then I think it's been suffering from 2 problems: (1) Fatigue / over-playedness, (2) Bethesda has shown that they don't really even understand the setting (nuking each other for sport in Fallout 76? Uh…)

You can't go around nuking people. You can target only a specific area not specific player. Players in the drop zone get warning so they can easily escape. The purpose is to create high level irradiated zone. It's endgame (so it won't be easy to launch) and it's not permanent. Player bases can't be nuked to oblivion.

To be honest, the whole nuke concept is what I don't like about Fallout 76 the most as it's ridiculous (last thing I would want to do is nuke stuff). But, people get all sorts of wrong ideas, it's not so bad. Thing is Bethesda didn't do a very good job explaining how the game will work (largely because they will be changing things based on testing) so people assume the worst.

Doesn't matter if it's people or not, it's irrelevant to the point. Just the fact you would casually lob nukes around cause you can is completely antithetical to what Fallout was originally supposed to be about and stand for. Note that this idiocy isn't completely new, Bethesda put in a mini-nuke weapon as early as Fallout 3. Now they've just taken it to a new level.

But you pretty much said it yourself, the mere notion that you would lob a nuclear missile just to irradiate areas so you can create new "valuable resources" is completely laughable. That isn't Fallout, it's a parody of Fallout.

I'm loath to link to Kotaku, but this article probably does a much better job of explaining some things than I could:
https://kotaku.com/fallout-76s-approach-to-nukes-seems-like-a-shift-for-th-1826744659

Now, this is what I don't like: "It's not Fallout" Yes, it is. There are orthodox fans of the originals, there are orthodox fans of Fallout 3 or 4, there are orthodox fans of New Vegas. Everyone will say different things about what is or isn't Fallout.

I prefer to keep an open eyes and accept that the series evolves and spreads beyond the original. As long they don't do a reboot of the whole series they're all Fallouts, including Fallout Tactics, abominable Brotherhood of Steel or even Fallout Shelter.

You won't say KotOR is not a Star Wars just because it's completely different from preceding space simulators or action games.

Personally, I'm not going to use the nukes in Fallout 76 at all because of how stupid I find it to be. But, I'm not going to condemn the game just because of it.

Now, this is what I don't like: "It's not Fallout" Yes, it is. There are orthodox fans of the originals, there are orthodox fans of Fallout 3 or 4, there are orthodox fans of New Vegas. Everyone will say different things about what is or isn't Fallout.
No, you're ignoring the context of the discussion. Started off as a complaint from someone tired of the setting, and my point was that one of the reasons for the setting sucking so much lately is that Bethesda has no clue about what the Fallout setting was supposed to be. So when I said "That isn't Fallout", what I meant is that Bethesda continues to display their cluelessness about what the Fallout setting was originally supposed to be, as they warp it into basically a parody of itself. Of course it's a "Fallout game", they own the trademark, but that's beside the point.

But, I'm not going to condemn the game just because of it.
Neither am I. Instead, I'll condemn it because it's a shitty cash grab.

I can't disagree more and you completely missed my point. But, that's what discussions are about. Please understand that your definition of Fallout is not universal.

IMO Bethesda's Fallouts are lacking compared to original Fallouts in some areas (story, dialogues, humor), but excel in others (worldbuilding, exploration, mod support).

Haters gonna hate.

You'd think some of these guys slept with the dudes from Interplay the way they moan and squirm around about Fallout. It was a barely successful game from a bajillion years ago, at least by PC standards. You are correct. It isn't the Fallouts you remember. These are actually very successful not tiny niche titles played by very few. Who would want to develop a failure? Obsidian? They're good at it at least. Lots and lots of practice.

This site has reached a new low when people are so vigorously defending a non RPG just because it is being made by Bethesda. Shame, shame, shame...

I miss the old Fallout, but it's done and buried. Bethesda has decided to go with a more commercially successful formula. Time to stop whining and move on with our lives.

Doesn't matter if it's people or not, it's irrelevant to the point. Just the fact you would casually lob nukes around cause you can is completely antithetical to what Fallout was originally supposed to be about and stand for. Note that this idiocy isn't completely new, Bethesda put in a mini-nuke weapon as early as Fallout 3. Now they've just taken it to a new level.

But you pretty much said it yourself, the mere notion that you would lob a nuclear missile just to irradiate areas so you can create new "valuable resources" is completely laughable. That isn't Fallout, it's a parody of Fallout.

I'm loath to link to Kotaku, but this article probably does a much better job of explaining some things than I could:
https://kotaku.com/fallout-76s-approach-to-nukes-seems-like-a-shift-for-th-1826744659

If this were Fallout 5 we were talking about I'd agree, but FO 76 isn't an entry in the main series. It's a multiplayer spin-off nothing more.

The author of the Kotaku article seems to miss that. She makes references to earlier FO games as if Bethesda is doing something wrong by not following the exact same ideology here. It's a multiplayer focused game though and the first one in the series. It's going to be fundamentally different in a lot of ways, and people need to get over it already and stop pretending they know better than Bethesda how it should be done.

#NotMyFallout

Finally a correct use for that tag :)

The good thing is, we have the Fallouts that are worth playing now and forever. I was always hopeful that an iteration would come along that would contend up against the first two games, but now I'm almost certain that will never happen. New Vegas, Fallout Tactics, and Fallout three are at least worth playing, but Fallout four was practically straight up garbage.

You'd think some of these guys slept with the dudes from Interplay the way they moan and squirm around about Fallout. It was a barely successful game from a bajillion years ago, at least by PC standards.

You're right, nut; Bethesda musta been off their rocker to buy the rights to a game that was barely successful from a bajillion years ago.

If you Bethesda apologists can't wrap your heads around the fact that Fallout 1/2 had far greater choices than "LOL RAIDERS! LOL ZOMBIES!", then you're blind to realize that the fact people bash this company isn't because they're in love with what Fallout was, so much as what it might have been - before Bethesda got their hands on it and turned the franchise into some generic shoot-em-up devoid of any originality. Enjoy your recycled Supermutants, Raiders, and zombies (aka ghouls) in Fallout 76, 5,6,7,8. Perhaps the protagonist will be looking for their mother in the next installment.

Personally speaking, I've given up on Bethesda. They are creatively bankrupt as a studio, churning out the same game every few years to legions of fans who love playing dressup more than they do a decent questline.

Back
Top Bottom