Age of Conan - Hands On Impressions @ MMORPG.com

Inauro

Watcher
MMORPG.com's Keith Cross spends some quality time with Age of Conan.
That’s the simple design that makes combat in Conan more active than in many other MMOs, but it’s not the only thing that makes combat fun. At higher levels this system becomes more in-depth when you gain access to special moves and combos. A special move is handled in the same way as in other MMOs, maybe a hit does more damage, maybe you can knock a foe back… the list goes on. But what makes them fun is that if you follow up a special move with specific directional attacks, you do a combo and do mare damage. If you finish an adversary with a combo you have a chance to perform one of the finishing moves that Age of Conan is becoming famous for, like a good old-fashioned decapitation.
More information.

Sounds like when reading about Warhammer it will be PvP only, but still not sure about Age of Conan. It talks about a Solo campaign from level 5 to 20 but wasn't specific as to the Online stage after level 20, anyone familiar?

Thanks. :)

I'm not quite sure what your question is, but i'll try to answer what i think you're asking.

From the information Funcom has released to date, we know that levels 1-20 will be spent in a solo RPG campaign. These early levels are intended to teach players the fundamentals of the game and Funcom hopes it will lead to a more experienced pool of players in the online component. Less of the "n00b" factor, if you will.

As for the MMO component of the game, that is slated to take place after level 20. It will feature PvE, PvP and the usual MMO tropes of questing, adventuring and (no doubt) grinding endless mobs until you hit the level cap and quit in frustration only to realise there's really nothing better out there after which you come back for the expansion pack... and so on.

Does that help at all?

In Age of Conan there will be the end-game comprised mostly of open-PvP in outer wildlands that will encourage guild-versus-guild warfare over a limited number of guild-owned & controlled castle-keeps. Also there are various other forms of minor PvP in Age of Conan, such as drunken bar-fights and instanced zones. Overall it seems to be less focused on PvP as Warhammer Online or Darkfall Online, except in the end-game. I'm more interested in Age of Conan for its PvE aspects, really. It seems to me that WAR and Darkfall will serve my PvP cravings, a lot moreso than Age of Conan will. I'm probably going to be playing all three games so that says something.

Also the MMO portion occurs after you exit the single-player, which has now been reduced from levels 1-10 instead of 1-20. They found out in beta testing that players would rather get through the single-player faster in order to play the real MMO.

Inauro said:
(no doubt) grinding endless mobs until you hit the level cap and quit in frustration only to realise there's really nothing better out there after which you come back for the expansion pack... and so on.

Does that help at all?

Lol, that was beautifully put and apologizes my intended question didn't come out clearly, yes I wondered if AoC would have PvE.
Thanks. :)

Ammon777 said:
Overall it seems to be less focused on PvP as Warhammer Online or Darkfall Online
Seriously, I missed this on Darkfall, too then as I thought (hoped?) it was PvE on some servers, also. Too, bad. :(

Back
Top Bottom