Top 10 CRPGs of all time

Purists will hate me since I have games some wouldn't consider RPGs, but it's my list so buggar off. I also have to admit that ever-increasing graphics technology goes a long way toward my enjoyment of a game, even though I've been playing since the early 1980's.

1) Jagged Alliance 2. I'm not a mod guy, really at all, but mods made this game so re-playable and customizable that you could play a thousand hours and still never get tired of it. My dream remains that someone will make a proper sequel with updated technology without trying to get cute.

2) The Witcher 3: I enjoyed the first 2 games of the franchise, but the third stands alone as arguably the single greatest pure-RPG ever created. There's just so much content, excellent writing, stories, detail, depth… While I wasn't much of a fan of Geralt himself, I felt more for Yennefer, Ciri and Triss than I care to admit.

3) Mass Effect (trilogy): I'm not going to pick one, as each of the 3 does something a little different that I liked. What it lacks in story cohesion it makes up for with well written characters and dialogue. Garrus, Ashley, Jack and Tali were the best companions I've ever had in a game. I look forward to getting started with Andromeda after a few patches.

4) Fallout: New Vegas: Sooo many stories… The only Fallout game that I felt like I was surviving in a wasteland. I also got the overall concept of the NCR vs Cesar's Legion fighting over the only known power source and center of commerce-- it just makes sense. I usually go into survival RPGs as a bad-ass, male soldier-type, but by the end of my New Vegas run I had settled on a small, female assassin with a cowboy hat and sunglasses. When a game begs you to get that far out of your normal PC comfort zone, it's a huge accomplishment…

5) Neverwinter Nights 2: It was the first game in which I really enjoyed nearly all the companions. It felt like my perfect D&D adventuring party, as if the writers knew exactly what I wanted at the time. Also, while I played and liked Baldur's Gate(s) and original Neverwinter Nights, to have a rotating/tiltable camera was like breaking free of the chains. I get that handcrafted maps are hip, but I never preferred the confines of isometric perpective.

6) Star Wars: Galaxies. (boo, hiss! MMO! Kill the witch!) This game became a bit of an obsession for me as I was "that guy" who built up the largest mining operation on the server, became filthy rich and had to check in for a couple hours a day like it was a job to keep my empire and guild running. It was like a second job, and it taught me a valuable lesson about what/how far I'm willing to go for an imaginary lifestyle. I had to step away completely. Funny story-- I went back years later when SWG was in its death throes, during a 'free weekend'. My chacter was still there, and I logged in just long enough to walk up to a noob player and make him filthy rich, before logging, never to return. It was the Star Wars equivilent of winning the lottery, so I hope he spent it wisely.

7) Anarchy Online/Dark Age of Camelot: Lumped them togther as I played them nearly simultaneously. My first 'real' MMO experience.

8) Neverwinter Nights: The tragic story of Aribeth… Oh Aribeth… Why? Whhhhy? HoTU was actually better than the original game.

9) Baldur's Gate: I liked it more than BG2, which to this day I have never finished. I've tried 2-3 times to 'get into' BG2, but I can't get past the 2nd act. BG1 I've finished multiple times.

10) Wasteland 2: Director's Cut. Great fun once the DC was released, even if the story wasn't the best.

Not on the list/why:

Oblivion: Loved this game until I realized I was only halfway through it but I had already maxed out equipment level. It was a scaling debacle and I never finished it, but for awhile it was brilliant.

Skyrim: Enjoyed the first 2 acts, but once dragons became easy to kill and I mastered all of the smithing options, I quickly lost interest and never finished the main story. I also felt the world just seemed so dead, with lifeless NPCs, horrible facial art/animations, etc. Plus, perma-winter gets me depressed.

X-Com: Even I won't call this an RPG, but if it IS, it would be top-5 on this list.

Elite: Dangerous: What virtual reality was created for. I played the shit out of this for about 8 months until recently, but realized there's not a lot to do once you have the perfectly engineered, high-level ship. I plan on coming back once more content is released, because right now, space is pretty lonely when you can't walk around.

Dragon Age: Inquisition. Almost made my top-10 list. Loads of content, fun exploration, but I didn't really like any of the characters outside of Sera-- and that's HUGE for an RPG. I usually like BioWare game characters, but here, not so much…

Fallout (others): Fallout 3 was actually my first experience with the franchise, but it wasn't as good as NV. Fallout 4 has some really cool features, but Boston was boring as hell to me and once I found out the dozens of hours I spend on settlements didn't mean squat… I did finish the game, but really have no interest in returning, which is telling.

This' a no brainer. I can speak only of those released after '95 though.

Like the top three isometric kings.

BG 2
Fallout 2
Planescape

Then come the sweet, early 2000s. In no particular order.

KotOR
NwN 1
Morrowind
Wizardry 8
Bloodlines
Arcanum
ToEE

PS don't laugh but I didn't play Jagged Alliance or M&M 7: Blood and Honor. A grave error I intend to remedy soon.

Last edited:
I would not include D:OS on that list; I mean it is a fun game but it has serious problem with lack of a story, bad balance in the mechanics (esp later in the game) et all. Don't take me wrong I liked the game but definitly not top 10. Its weird; I liked D:OS better than wasteland on first place because the mechanics were so much better; but on second play i prefer wasteland because i paid more attention to hidden details in the story.
-
And yes i did mention d:eek:s in two posts above but i've had time to reflect.

It's not in my top 10, as I mentioned it's in my "honorable mention" due to some major flaws :p

This' a no brainer. I can speak only of those released after '95 though.

Like the top three isometric kings. All released pre-2000.

BG 2
Fallout 2
Planescape

Then come the sweet, early 2000s. In no particular order.

KotOR
NwN 1
Morrowind
Wizardry 8
Bloodlines
Arcanum
ToEE

PS don't laugh but I didn't play Jagged Alliance or M&M 7: Blood and Honor. A grave error I intend to remedy soon.

Great list, luj. Just nitpicking, BG2 was released in September 2000 :p

Whoops :D

Dragon Age: Inquisition. Almost made my top-10 list. Loads of content, fun exploration, but I didn't really like any of the characters outside of Sera-- and that's HUGE for an RPG. I usually like BioWare game characters, but here, not so much…
You didn't like the whole Cassandra/Varric thing? I thought that was great fun. So was Bull. Oh, and that demon guy who's name I forgot and never quite made sense. He was fun!

Edit: COLE! That was his name!

Last edited:
You didn't like the whole Cassandra/Varric thing? I thought that was great fun. So was Bull. Oh, and that demon guy who's name I forgot and never quite made sense. He was fun!

I was never a fan of Varric, in either DA game. I don't like obnoxious dudes in my party, I didn't want a ranged party member, and I have a thing against dwarves in fantasy games (long story)-- so he checked all "leave behind" boxes even though I realize he was supposed to be your PC's best friend.

And Freddie Prinze is like nails on a chalkboard to me, which explains why Bull and James Vega are my least favorite BioWare characters, probably ever. I liked the idea of Bull, but Prinze just gave him a more gruff James Vega voice…

Sorry but I have to disagree.
TW3 is totally opposite from TES.
I haven't found the explanation.

Single character, real time, huge, wide world, very open, weak to exploit obstacles and get out of the arena syndrome, similar types of combats, tedious collecting, tedious crafting, more. For me they are clones.

The only thing distinctive is firstly TW3 brought some innovation into simulating a world, and overall the writing is a lot better. It's far to be enough to make them opposite.

My favorite as far as I can remember now:
1. Planescape: Torment
2. Baldur's Gate: 2
3. Fallout: 2
4. Witcher: 3
5. The Elder Scrolls: Skyrim
6. Pillars of Eternity
7. Divinity: Original Sin
8. Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
9. Gothic: 2
10. Neverwinter Nights

1 Heroes of M & M III Hd Editor
2 The Witcher 3
3 The Witcher 2
4 Icewind Dale EE
5 Divinity oginal Sin EE
6 Morrowind
7 Gothic 3
8 Dragon Age: origins
9 Risen 1
10 Planetscape Torment

I decided to separate out my favourites by type of rpg.

My top 10 isometric rpgs

1) Baldurs Gate 2 not including throne of bhaal
2) Fallout 2
3) Baldurs Gate + expansion
4) Quest for Glory series excluding 5
5) Starcon 2
6) Divinity Original Sin EE
7) Ultima 7 first part
8) Fallout 1
9) Planescape Torment
10) Shadowrun Returns: Dragonfall

My top 10 action rpgs
1) The Elder Scrolls III Morrowind
2) Gothic 1 & 2
3) Risen
4) Mount & Blade: Warband
5) Might and Magic VI
7) System Shock 2
8) Fallout New Vegas
9) The Witcher
10) Dishonored

*Betrayal at Krondor doesn't fit either category so I guess its in a class of its own?

Great list, luj. Just nitpicking, BG2 was released in September 2000 :p

And the expansion was June 2001, so if your first experience was a complete run via some form of Gold or whatever edition then it was likely 2002.

Hey Silver, did you really dislike Throne of Bhaal? I thought it was the weakest part of the series by far, but it still had some good moments and brought things to a fairly satisfactory close. And Watchers Keep was awesome :)

1. Baldur's Gate 2 + ToB
2. Dragon Age: Inquisition
3. Neverwinter Nights with all extensions and mods
4. Mass Effect 3
5. Dragon Age Origin
6. Baldur's Gate 1
7. Mass Effect 2
8. Star Wars: The Old Republic
9. Dragon Age II
10. Mass Effect: Andromeda

1. Baldur's Gate 2 + ToB
2. Dragon Age: Inquisition
3. Neverwinter Nights with all extensions and mods
4. Mass Effect 3
5. Dragon Age Origin
6. Baldur's Gate 1
7. Mass Effect 2
8. Star Wars: The Old Republic
9. Dragon Age II
10. Mass Effect: Andromeda

not-a-bait.jpg

Hey Silver, did you really dislike Throne of Bhaal? I thought it was the weakest part of the series by far, but it still had some good moments and brought things to a fairly satisfactory close. And Watchers Keep was awesome :)

I agree as well - ToB is good in its own way (I actually liked it more than BG1) and It provides worthwhile finale to the series as well.

Lol, Dasale, I can see you are real Bioware fan.

I liked Watchers Keep alot and the new soundtracks but the rest of it was too high level d&d which I'm not fond of. You have to worry about min maxing too much and thats not how I play these games.

I liked Watchers Keep alot and the new soundtracks but the rest of it was too high level d&d which I'm not fond of. You have to worry about min maxing too much and thats not how I play these games.

I wasn't a big fan of Throne of Bhaal either. It felt very linear to me compared to BG 1&2. Just one battle after another and not much exploration (Watcher's Keep aside).

And I agree about high level D&D. I started to feel burned-out toward the end of BG2. There's something about those earlier levels that just felt more exciting to me.

Also, by the time you're in ToB, your party is overloaded with high-level gear. Every weapon and piece of armor is +5 and beyond and has multiple enchantments. It sort of kills the fun of finding new stuff.

I wasn't a big fan of Throne of Bhaal either. It felt very linear to me compared to BG 1&2. Just one battle after another and not much exploration (Watcher's Keep aside).

And I agree about high level D&D. I started to feel burned-out toward the end of BG2. There's something about those earlier levels that just felt more exciting to me.

Agreed, it was too linear as well. Having said that Throne of Bhaal is still much better than alot of full release games today. I just feel that I prefer bg2 as an experience with just Shadows of Amn installed. I would add Watchers Keep to it and nothing else from Throne of Bhaal if I could but only have it available after you have beaten Irenicus. That dungeon messes with the balance of Shadows of Amn and you are tempted to go there earlier. (All that high level loot)

Putting a top 10 together now I'd come up with…

1 Skyrim
2 Morrowind
3 Knights of the Old Republic 2
4 Ultima VII: The Black Gate
5 Ultima VII: Serpent Isle
6 Ultima IV
7 Fallout 4
8 Mass Effect 2
9 Fallout 3
10 Knights of the Old Republic

Just missed out on my top 10, but still in my list of 'RPGs I've give a 10 out of 10 to'

Fallout New Vegas
Dragon Age: Origins
Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines
Baldur's Gate II

If I put together a list at any other time, my order of these 14 games could easily change as I think of a reason game X should be above game Y that I didn't think of this time.

And if we were counting expansions I'd probably have Skyrim's Dragonborn and Fallout 4's Nuka World and Far Harbor in there too

I agree with the comments on Throne of Bhaal - you definitely did start to feel overpowered (my kensai dual wielding Crom Faer and Celestial Fury was a monster :)), it was mainly about the combat, and loot eventually lost its meaning. Having said that, it still had some good moments, especially first time round. Before I figured out the correct tactics, the dark elf with her statues and the dragon that turns invisible to heal itself were real challenges that I enjoyed.

But yeah the best bits of Baldur's Gate II for me were definitely the opening sections in Athkatla where the game just throws quests at you... and they're all interesting and different, with great twists and unexpected outcomes, and you're still building up your party to the point where a +3 sword is pretty exciting.

I should do my own list at some point. Baldur's Gate II would definitely be top of the list, but I start to struggle a bit lower down. I'm probably thinking about it too much :)

Back
Top Bottom