Need recommendation

P

purpleblob

Hey all :)

I'm looking for RPG (or games with RPG elements) I can play in short bursts (so... nothing as complex as Kingmaker!)

It will be nice if it's something old (so I can pick it up cheap :p), preferably high fantasy setting and would be a bonus if it has co-op mode as well.

Was looking at Kingdoms of Amalur - is this any good?

Kingdoms of Amalur has plenty of mixed reviews but I enjoyed playing it.

Some games games that fit your criteria might be…

Hunted: The Demon's Forge
Fable III
Jade Empire
Dragon's Dogma
NieR:Automata
Divine Divinity
Grim Dawn
Victor Vran
The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing Final Cut

Kingdoms of Amalur has plenty of mixed reviews but I enjoyed playing it.

Some games games that fit your criteria might be…

Hunted: The Demon's Forge
Fable III - isn't the main protagonist set as a male character?
Jade Empire - played and finished :)
Dragon's Dogma
NieR:Automata
Divine Divinity
Grim Dawn - tried and didn't like it :(
Victor Vran
The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing Final Cut

Thanks, Couch!! Will check them out :)

Monster Hunter World :D

Isn't this released recently?

I doubt you would like Kingdoms of Amalur much. It's a third-person action-RPG with simplistic combat. Doesn't really seem like your kind of game.

I'd say to try Sword Coast Legends, since I know you like D&D, but I don't think you can still do co-op since the servers were shut down.

Have you already played Divinity: Original Sin? If not, you should definitely give that a look.

I doubt you would like Kingdoms of Amalur much. It's a third-person action-RPG with simplistic combat. Doesn't really seem like your kind of game.

I'd say to try Sword Coast Legends, since I know you like D&D, but I don't think you can still do co-op since the servers were shut down.

Have you already played Divinity: Original Sin? If not, you should definitely give that a look.

I own both Sword Coast Legends and D:OS but didn't enjoy them much. I might give them both another spin....

You pick your gender in the beginning of Fable 3.

Aha, ok, I will check it out too then :)

I would avoid Monster Hunter World as it is not an rpg or party based rpg.
-
There are 5 or 6 games in the Legend of Hero series that are all suppose to be pretty good and most are not very expensive.
-
Also I would highly recommend VC and VC4 (valkyria chronicles) they are a solid mix of turn base strategy combat and story.
-
Then if you want something super light there is the sorcery series (1-4). they are book oriented rpg but pretty decent.

@you; I'm trying to look up sorcery series but unsure which one you are referring to. Can you please provide me with the link? Thanks!!

@Couchpotato; Thanks for link!! :)

I liked the shadowrun series but they are pretty somethign or other. Have no clue if you will care for them but they are very different than stuff like fable. I would skip Lords of Xulima at this point - the start of the game is absolutely fantastic (first 20 hours or so) but it is 100+ hours long and drags midway (imho). It could easily have been cut to 50 hours and more polished the second 1/2 of the game. It isn't bad - it just gets old after a while and nothing really was memorable after the first 10 or 20 hours. Btw when I say more polished what I really mean is made more interesting - there really weren't any bugs or poor execution per sey like (for example) bards tale vi it just didn't have the same impact later on and became repetitive/grind. I think if they had focused on a tighter story with more events later on it would have been more enjoyable in the long haul.

Isn't this released recently?

Yes. Amazing game!

I'm looking for RPG (or games with RPG elements) I can play in short bursts (so… nothing as complex as Kingmaker!)
It's an action RPG in a 3rd person style (like Amalur) with all the RPG elements. Great for short bursts because a hunt is limited to 50 minutes maximum then back to town.

It will be nice if it's something old (so I can pick it up cheap ), preferably high fantasy setting and would be a bonus if it has co-op mode as well.
It's on Steam sale right now so you can pick it up cheap. It's got swords and dragons and adventure. It's pretty much made for co-op. (with 2 players you both take your pet Palico. With 1 player you can have your pet, a neutral monster and a wild cat join you for a party of 4)

I'm let down by nearly every game I play but MHW even taught me a thing or two about good aRPG design.

Crypt Of The NecroDancer

You'll mostly end up failing anyway, but that with some nice dance music ! ;)

I would certainly recommend the shadowrun series. They are perfect for short bursts. They are mission based games but with a solid rpg system underneath them.

Other games that may be of interest would be rollers of the realm, which is a pinball rpg. Very innovative and fun, but short.

Banner saga is quite good too as its ashory game anyway and you could just play a few hours at a time. It's not very difficult and allows for burst plays.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

I'd give Sword Coast Legends another spin. I know you like characters and the game has some pretty great ones, with super top-notch voice acting. It starts slow but gets really good, the story is intriguing and twist-filled and it's got good character development and gameplay. I'd suggest that one for ya. They really nailed it with story and characters with voice acting.

Rats, the Divinity: Original Sin games are my go-to for somebody that wants co-op.

Pillars of Eternity games are very much in the Baldur's Gate style but I'm sure you know about them.

One off my wish list (i.e. I don't know if it's good or not):
Tower of Time: https://store.steampowered.com/app/617480 Supposed to have a good story and you can do the combat as real time, slow time, or pause'able.

Crypt Of The NecroDancer

You'll mostly end up failing anyway, but that with some nice dance music ! ;)

Fail in what?

Anyway, seeing that I already own 3 of recommended games, I thought I will give them another spin:

Sword Coast Legends - I think my expectation was quite high at release.
D:OS - played it with hubby in co-op mode but we both didn't like inventory system and humour. Combat was fun but slow…
Shadowrun: Dragonfall - I can't remember why I shelved it lol

Tower of Time look interesting so I might pick that up too :)

Thanks everyone!!

If you can accept Japanese graphics, the I'd highly recommend Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky. Its a long game, but its story driven, and its mechanics are pretty easy to understand.
If you want something shorter, and don't a mind a non fantasy setting then Shadowrun: Dragonfall and Shadowrun:Hong Kong are both good games. Hong Kong is actually less dark and easier, so it might be the better choice.
If you want to try something story intensive and pretty offbeat, you might also consider Sunless Sea. It requires a lot of reading, but in many ways its kind of relaxed, the mechanics are simple to learn to. I played it in short bursts myself, like 20-30 minutes at a time and enjoyed it more than I thought I would.

Back
Top Bottom