Paranoia: Happiness is Mandatory - Whatever happened to it? @ PC Gamer - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Paranoia: Happiness is Mandatory - Whatever happened to it? @ PC Gamer

Default Paranoia: Happiness is Mandatory - Whatever happened to it? @ PC Gamer

January 3rd, 2021, 10:40
PC Gamer asks "What happenend to Paranoia: Happiness is Mandatory"?

Whatever happened to Paranoia?

In December of 2019, Paranoia: Happiness is Mandatory, a sci-fi RPG set in an isolated dystopian city called Alpha Complex, came out on the Epic Games Store. Within two months it had been delisted, removed from sale with no explanation from the developer or publisher, and calls for comment received no reply. A Steam page remained up, promising that it would arrive there after its year of Epic exclusivity. It did not. Over a year later, there's still no explanation.

You're forgiven for not knowing any of this. Paranoia: Happiness is Mandatory, did not exactly set the world on fire. It was a very old-fashioned isometric CRPG, which is another way of saying "an RPG where the combat kind of sucks." So yes, its realtime-with-pause shootouts were messy, but that's no more of a surprise to anyone familiar with this kind of game than it would be if I told you the hacking minigame was fiddly and annoying. By the way, the hacking minigame was fiddly and annoying.

[…]
Thanks Zloth!

More information.

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
RPGWatch Team
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)

January 3rd, 2021, 11:13
I'm a Paranoia (the Pen&Paper rpg) fan, but I didn't touch that one after reading the first reviews, so I didn't even realize that it was gone from the stores (or I did realize and forgot it), which is kind of sad.

Irian

Atheistic Pirate

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

January 3rd, 2021, 16:50
"a very old-fashioned isometric CRPG, which is another way of saying "an RPG where the combat kind of sucks." So yes, its realtime-with-pause shootouts were messy"

Typical nonsense from a worthless review source.

Telstar

CRPG lover

January 3rd, 2021, 18:49
You have, perhaps, forgotten the joys of trying to keep your party from attacking the next mob in Infinity and Aurora based engines, @Telstar?
--
The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views….
-- Doctor Who in "Face of Evil"

Zloth

I smell a… wumpus!?

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)

January 3rd, 2021, 19:09
Ha..Ha..Ha can't stop laughing as the game was a complete flop. It's not even available for purchase on Steam anymore either. Guess it got pulled off the store front.

Yes it has a page still but you can't buy it anymore.

Edit: It was an epic exclusive and it was pulled off Epic as well.
--
“Opinions are like assholes, everybody's got one and everyone thinks everyone else's stinks.”

Couchpotato

Rotten Potato

Mentioned: 164 Post(s)

January 3rd, 2021, 20:36
Just overall a bad game. Had nothing to do with isometric.
--
How about all games have a single huge lootbox you pay for up front that contains all the options, items, skins, unlocks etc? I'd pay for that!!

Wisdom

Torch & Pitchfork Vendor
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)

January 4th, 2021, 00:38
If you read to the end, you'll see this was another game published by Big Ben, which published the Sinking City, which was yanked because of a dispute between that publisher and the developer. Since the published and developer refuse to discuss why Paranoia was removed, I'd assume its a legal matter. The author doesn't think the game was so bad as to diserve being pulled because of its quality.

forgottenlor

Font of Useless Knowledge
RPGWatch Team

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)

January 4th, 2021, 00:49
Originally Posted by forgottenlor View Post
If you read to the end, you'll see this was another game published by Big Ben, which published the Sinking City, which was yanked because of a dispute between that publisher and the developer. Since the published and developer refuse to discuss why Paranoia was removed, I'd assume its a legal matter. The author doesn't think the game was so bad as to diserve being pulled because of its quality.
I wonder if someone should tell both publishers and developers that nobody in the history of ever has ever re-released a game after a dispute to any success.

Not to mention that the majority of cases that these disputes that end up in pulling games from storefronts end up with 2 parties squabbling over pennies. The games usually arent' successful in their own right.
--
How about all games have a single huge lootbox you pay for up front that contains all the options, items, skins, unlocks etc? I'd pay for that!!

Wisdom

Torch & Pitchfork Vendor
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)

January 4th, 2021, 03:05
The whole situation, whatever it was, bummed me out a bit. I didn't have high hopes, but I was very interested as I love the Paranoia setting.

JFarrell71

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)

January 4th, 2021, 03:19
I've heard of the game but had no idea it was based on a PnP setting.

Googled it and came across the Metacritic page. Ouch…was it really that bad? Maybe they'll patch it up and rerelease it.

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 135 Post(s)

January 5th, 2021, 02:30
There's no lack of irony in the reviewer being given the bureaucratic run-around.

rjshae

Periapt vs Paronomasia
RPGWatch Donor

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)

January 5th, 2021, 05:15
As someone that played the pen and paper version back in the day, the culmination of this entire story just has me in stitches. It could be one of the best marketing stunts I've ever heard of, were it a stunt! =p

Carnifex

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 67 Post(s)

January 5th, 2021, 14:50
I think it's somehow fitting that a "Paranoia" game was pulled without explanation from the market. (And I liked the old tabletop game, way back in the 90's.)

Then again, it's quite possible the game is still available for download… if you have the security clearance for it.

--
My mother said that dreams aren't real. But nightmares are.

FurtiveNyctophile

Sentinel

January 6th, 2021, 00:10
Originally Posted by Zloth View Post
You have, perhaps, forgotten the joys of trying to keep your party from attacking the next mob in Infinity and Aurora based engines, @Telstar?

Never had problems with that, and I have played them all.

Telstar

CRPG lover

January 6th, 2021, 00:11
Originally Posted by Couchpotato View Post
Edit: It was an epic exclusive and it was pulled off Epic as well.
So there is a very likely chance that will be there as a freebie.

Telstar

CRPG lover

January 6th, 2021, 04:42
Free until the corporation shows up to wrest it from your greedy hands…..eeeep, here they come now!

Carnifex

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Paranoia: Happiness is Mandatory - Whatever happened to it? @ PC Gamer