What I've Been Watching: The Catch-All Film Thread

Moved that Bellingcat part, for obvious reasons (at least for me they were).

Watched the director's cut of Watchmen again last night. It's so much better than the rest of Zack Snyder's films that it's almost hard to believe it came from him.
It's the script taken from the brilliant comic that did the trick. It's just not possible to ruin it. Unlerss perhaps one is Uwe Boll...

Also rewatched A Quiet Place since I plan on seeing the sequel very soon. I think I enjoyed it a little more this time around. It's actually pretty solid for a modern horror film.
That one was fun quite a bit when you pretend you didn't see the most silent baby that ever was.
Also, the shotgun solution, okay combo method it is, but cmon.
I'll watch the sequel too for some laughs.

Midsommar.
Style over substance garbage I always recommend skipping unless one is florist and needs some ideas for arrangements.
Inexperienced viewer might find some stuff disturbing though, especially if skipped worldwide cinema masterpieces like brazilian Elite Squad with necklacing scene, otherwise everything feels meh.

His other movie was full of subtle references, I expect Midsommar is no different.
His other movie was full of nothing (not to say bs), but absolutely amazing performance by Toni Collette saved it from being unwatchable.
Still, I recommend it only to her fans, noone else.

Style over substance garbage I always recommend skipping unless one is florist and needs some ideas for arrangements.
Inexperienced viewer might find some stuff disturbing though, especially if skipped worldwide cinema masterpieces like brazilian Elite Squad with necklacing scene, otherwise everything feels meh.

Anybody tell you this “matter-of-fact” and blunt try-hard way of speaking leaves an impression of either immaturity and/or arrogance?

Anyways, I’ve enjoyed Midsommar overall. Not garbage, not one bit. I also liked that it had a distinct visual style.

Rewatched Relatos Salvajes (Wild Tales) - six tales of revenge. Lol - forgot how much I liked that crazy movie.

Anybody tell you this “matter-of-fact� and blunt try-hard way of speaking leaves an impression of either immaturity and/or arrogance?
Everyone did.
That won't change.
I found the movie pathetically bad, a waste of time and money, potentially scary only to children and still can't believe people are more disturbed by death from fast suffocation than 20 minutes of agony while trapped in tires.
On top of that the visitors meeting their demise idea was covered numerous times in far better movies like all time classic And Soon The Darkness without extreme xenophobic subtext.
Or vice versa where those (ignorant, naive, stupid, name it) visitors cause tragedies in the not so old The Night of Sunflowers.
Just an opinion.

But don't forget what I wrote in my first post.
It's style over substance movie (at least is not without any substance) which can be enough for audiences who enjoy style only.

Wonder Woman 1984: Not bad for what it is - a biff, pop, pow superhero movie for little girls... or at least what 50 year old guys like Geoff Johns (writer) and Zack Snyder (producer) and me think appeals to little girls. Unfortunately that's a narrow demographic, and at odds with the tone of the DC movies before Shazam. Gal Gadot looks the best she ever has as WW in part due to the more classic looking costume. Not enough full furry Cheetah by a long shot, and there is a LOT of very wonky CGI. I'd describe it as a well intentioned missfire.

Watched Raya And The Last Dragon … Nice movie, teaching us that dragons do not need to look dark and grim and dangerous …

Although it is a family movie, it looks and feels very much female oriented … I still have yet to see a movie which has a balance betwen both …

Female oriented Disney movies have strong characters and a deeper psychologically oriented plot (Frozen 1 & 2, Tangled, Raya), meanwhile male oriented Disney mocvies have weak characters and a flat forgettable plot (Ralph, Onward).

I fear that we won't see a movie which has all of them together within the next decades.

I see no balance.

A Quiet Place Part II

Decent enough if you liked the first one. I enjoyed it for the most part but found the ending somewhat abrupt and unsatisfying.

I like how it picks up from exactly where the first movie ends. You can watch them back to back and it's literally one movie.

I rewatched, since my SO hadn't, Django Unchained. I remember being somewhat underwhelmed by it the first time, and I think I had a similar experience this time. It's good. Definitely not bad. But not great. Nothing compared to Inglorious Basterds which I find similar. Also, Hateful Eight is a way better western. Django might be, without thinking too much, one of his worst, for me at least. Having just looked over all his movies, yeah I think it might be my least favorite.

Also, Hateful Eight is a way better western. Django might be, without thinking too much, one of his worst, for me at least. Having just looked over all his movies, yeah I think it might be my least favorite.

5fdp0e.jpg

I watched the Christmas horror movie Better Watch Out last night. Some good Australian actors (especially Levi Miller and Olivia DeJonge) and a good ending made it an overall plus for me despite some tonal shift weirdness and PG-13 feel (despite being rated R)

I liked Django. It was slightly screwed up by the self-indulgent third-and-a-half act, but Christoph Waltz's line made it, for me: "I'm sorry - I just couldn't resist."

Yeah - I'll lose all my chips to take you down, you total @+#& !

I also liked Django, but it was my least favorite. Not sure why. It’s decent overall but somehow I wasn’t left with much. I actually had almost completely forgotten the plot, aside from the mission to get Django’s wife back. It’s been 8 years, but I’m not sure I so easily forgot his other movies.

Put me in the same category, I enjoyed Django for what it was, yet certainly preferred the Hateful Eight, and agree it's the superior western. I wouldn't be against QT doing more of that genre, for sure.

Saw Bad Education. Pretty good movie about some public school teachers embezzling school funds.

What I’d really like to see is a similar movie on how the US military lost 21 trillion, or other mismanagement with some seriously large funds. Funny how these sorts of movies are always on the public school teacher stealing, and never on the true fat cats, with very few exceptions. It’s almost as if there’s no issue in destroying trust in the public school system, but god forbid other institutions be dragged through the mud.

Anyway, I’d still recommend the movie.

"Help!" by The Beatles ! - A pretty crazy movie, almost unthinkable by todays's standards …

It has things that remind one of Monty Python, and in general, the movie was made in an sense of innocence that is unthinkable to day. It's a *very* childish movie, in fact !

Watching that movie is like … looking back into time - into a time that will never ever come back again. It's a bit like … looking back into paradise … of the Beatles era.

Back
Top Bottom