WotR Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous - Tips & Tricks & Help

Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous
Anyone got an update on when physical items will ship? My anticipation is reaching unheard of heights. I notice there is now a "Physical Rewards" tab on the backer portal with a message saying "Soon you will be able to find here the information about the shipping of physical rewards, and track you delivery as well.".

I am enjoying reading the tidbits you guys are posting and there haven't been any big spoilers so far (outside of spoiler tags) so keep posting!

I'm definitely curious if anyone has fully figured out the mechanics of the tavern assault yet. I've read a lot of conflicting info on it like "it always happens on the 21st" which is obviously not the case. It seems very difficult to tell what triggers it, what delays it and whether any outcome is caused by bugs or being intentional.
It would be interesting to know what is the "working as intended" version of the whole chain of events.

I certainly haven't, but there does definitely seem to be some randomness to it (it's not triggered on a particular date). The first time I received the messenger and went back and fought the defense, I lost/was losing, and I had neglected to save for a while. So I reloaded and went back to the Tower to re-trigger the event where you spy on the demons. I did everything the same, but this time the messenger didn't show up. So I kept playing, well beyond the point I had before, traveling all the way to the Blackwing Library and doing that part.

You can remove 1 negative point with Lesser Restoration spell, either a scroll, or a divine caster but that costs 1 diamond dust in that case. I used to consume it like candy in Kingmaker ;) Greater Restoration should work too, I think it removes them all at once, so it may be more interesting if you character is really crippled.

You have the details a bit off, so I hope you don't mind the correction.

Lesser Restoration restores 1-3 points of attribute damage, I believe. That's what it does in the tabletop, anyway, and I know for a fact that it's more than a flat 1 point in this game (as I can specifically recall it restoring 2 points at least once.)

There are potions of restoration, not just scrolls and casters.

Also, there's a spell in between Lesser and Greater Restoration, just "Restoration", and I think that's what you're referring to. (Restoration or higher also restores levels lost to drain.... I hate losing levels)

Lesser Restoration restores 1-3 points of attribute damage, I believe. That's what it does in the tabletop, anyway, and I know for a fact that it's more than a flat 1 point in this game (as I can specifically recall it restoring 2 points at least once.)

Also, there's a spell in between Lesser and Greater Restoration, just "Restoration", and I think that's what you're referring to. (Restoration or higher also restores levels lost to drain…. I hate losing levels)

Just to be a little helpful here

Lesser Restoration:
- Removes Fatigue
- Restores 1d4 Stat point damage on any one single stat

Restoration
- Removes Fatigue and Exhaustion
- Restores full stat point damage
- Restores all temporary negative levels
- Restores one permanent negative level

Greater Restoration
- Reomoves Fatigue, Exhaustion, Confusion, Insanity, Charm
- Restores full health
- Restores all stat point damage
- Restores all (temporary and permanent) negative levels

There's a setting "Remove negative effects on rest" that would remove it in one rest but it's unlikely set with the difficulty level you chose.

Instead, you should get back 1 point per rest, but Woljif must have several negative points, you can see that on the character page, or maybe on the avatar, by hovering the mouse.

You can remove 1 negative point with Lesser Restoration spell, either a scroll, or a divine caster but that costs 1 diamond dust in that case. I used to consume it like candy in Kingmaker ;) Greater Restoration should work too, I think it removes them all at once, so it may be more interesting if you character is really crippled.

The divine spell Death Ward should protect from those nasty effects, if you got them from an enemy.

Thanks, I already tried pretty much all of that but no dice. I don't have access to a Greater Restoration spell. Lesser Restoration did nothing at all. My guess is I'd need that Greater spell or a "professional" cleric to remove his permanent stats damage. It's a different kind of damage than the one Seelah suffered. Seelah was down to 5 strength and that went back up +1 by resting but Woljif has something nastier (don't remember what it's called right now) that never went away even from literally weeks of resting (all the while the tavern battle never triggered automatically).

Oh well, it's not a problem since I was just messing around anyway and trying a different main character. I do not plan to fully play through the game in earnest until there is all the DLC and a final patch.
The lesson (for me) from these current test runs is to avoid certain parts of the market square during the early game (at least before the tavern battle). The Undead were pretty tough on 'Core' difficulty. It's probably better to just pick up Ember from the "easy" part of the Market, then head to the Tower and the Library instead of trying to fully explore the Market map early on.

Especially on 'Core' (and higher) the no. 1 rule of classic RPGs needs to be adhered to strictly: Save early, save often. In different slots. There is a lot of trial & error involved if you go into certain areas "blind" for the first time.

My Aasimar has lesser restoration as a race skill. Does it still cost the diamond dust? Just curious. I haven't been affected yet as I'm only in the Tavern after the maze and haven't done any quests. I do love the
+1 Shortsword of Flame
that you find there :)

@Moriendor; @JFarrell71; regarding the question about Defender's Heart above (everyone decided to post all of a sudden :p)

It's not necessarily on the 21st, I reloaded an old game and slept a little bit until the 22nd, came back to the Defender's Heart without seeing any messenger.

I slept a few times there and saw one on the 25th. Maybe it was there before (he stands outside the bedroom), but definitely after the 22nd.

I tried to let him die when meeting him outside the DH. He only passes out though, and gets back up after the combat (yes, it was naughty). :D

Last edited:
@Redglyph; Yes, the date almost certainly plays no role in the course of events except maybe with regard to your ARRIVAL at the tavern. I have read posts from people who said they arrived at the tavern, rested just once and the battle started right away. Maybe they arrived on or after the 21st. That is exactly the type of stuff that would be interesting to know for figuring out how exactly this part of the game is working mechanically (and if it is at all working as intended in the first place).

My current party arrived at the tavern on the 19th. Then we headed off to the market. As I said before, I had to rest many days inside the market map to heal the stats damage since Seelah couldn't even move anymore.

The minimum rest time was always 23 hours. I could not go lower even if I unchecked that "recommended" box. I must have rested for at least a week straight to heal Seelah back up from her strength of 5. I never got a messenger or anything.

Then I traveled to the library, finished that map and then I went back to the tavern to try to heal Woljif by resting there. I literally rested for weeks at the tavern (but never left the room between rests) and the tavern defense battle never triggered.
It was only after those weeks of resting that, when I finally left the room, I was told to go see Irabeth immediately but even then she had that dialogue option that allowed me to back out of the dialogue for more preparations (as if the weeks before weren't enough ;) ).

I'm really curious how all of this is actually supposed to work. So many people tell a different story of what happened to them after arriving at the tavern for the first time. There is no official guide book or strategy guide, right? That would be interesting since it should contain the version as intended by Owlcat.

Also, there's a spell in between Lesser and Greater Restoration, just "Restoration", and I think that's what you're referring to. (Restoration or higher also restores levels lost to drain…. I hate losing levels)
Yes, thanks! I misread my notes, for Lesser Restoration it's 1d4 points restored on one ability score (as said above) for a temporary drain. Wasn't fully awake when writing that ;)

Thanks, I already tried pretty much all of that but no dice. I don't have access to a Greater Restoration spell. Lesser Restoration did nothing at all. My guess is I'd need that Greater spell or a "professional" cleric to remove his permanent stats damage. It's a different kind of damage than the one Seelah suffered. Seelah was down to 5 strength and that went back up +1 by resting but Woljif has something nastier (don't remember what it's called right now) that never went away even from literally weeks of resting (all the while the tavern battle never triggered automatically).
Without knowing exactly what the situation was, it's hard to go further, but the Restoration spells work fine to restore permanent ability damage once the origin of the effect (spell) has stopped.

That could also come from corruption, which is different, I'm not sure you can restore them with any spell at that point since the origin remains active (corruption I, II, … progressively impacting your different abilities on top of other stats). But those effects are shared identically among all the characters, which was not your case.

Whatever it was, it sounds nasty. :)

Last edited:

Could it be a curse ? Or an illness ? Or poison ?

Just as an example, I had learning lessons with Mummy Rot in DDO, and with some illnesses, too (I think one was called "cackling fever" or so , and it never went away on its own).

Maybe higher fortitude values are necessary ?

Besides, I have a new patch loading.

Could it be a curse ? Or an illness ? Or poison ?

Just as an example, I had learning lessons with Mummy Rot in DDO, and with some illnesses, too (I think one was called "cackling fever" or so , and it never went away on its own).

I just checked in-game and it's called a "Bewildering Injury". There is no indication in the description how to fix it. While I was in-game, I also checked the date by the way. It is "12 Rova" in my game so I have definitely rested for weeks. No change of condition.

Here is a screenshot:

As I said, it is no big deal since I'm just toying around at the moment. A full playthrough is scheduled to happen once the game has been fully patched with all DLC on board.

Oh, I just googled it and major DUH effect :) . This is actually not an injury that Woljif is suffering from but one of his buffs! That's why it can not be "healed", of course. LOL. I completely misunderstood the status effect. Sorry about that!

Oh, I just googled it and major DUH effect :) . This is actually not an injury that Woljif is suffering from but one of his buffs! That's why it can not be "healed", of course. LOL. I completely misunderstood the status effect. Sorry about that!
I was just about to say... That must have been annoying to look for an effect that you think is negative :D

It surprised me too the first time I saw it on my rogue, the image looked like a debuff. I always try to check what they are since I've been traumatized by the ability drains in Kingmaker ;)

Indeed, it's one of three "stances" you can optionally choose from when doing sneak attacks starting at 4th level. But they shouldn't show on the avatar below (or at the top in TB) because they're not effects you happen to get, they're only abilities you enable willingly (like rage, and so on). Besides, their icon is already "glowing" to show they're active :-/ The avatar is already quite the clusterfuck of effects as it is in a regular combat, no need to add more IMO.

image.png

I found out that there are "stances" by chance.
And they are there only for some classes, if I understood that correctly.

I found out that there are "stances" by chance.
And they are there only for some classes, if I understood that correctly.
Each class has specific abilities you can enable, they should be either in the class progression chart for the specific ones, on the character page, or in the special ability / feats. You can open the ability panel (the one on the screenshot above) to see those of the party characters, at their current level. Some are common.

It's easy to forget about them or lose track. Like the Acrobatics (Mobility) that all classes have (I believe?) - the blue guy with two curved blades, which reduces the chance of suffering from attacks of opportunity. Took me a long time before realizing what it was. Or Coup de Grace.

Speaking of stances, one that is very important is "Fighting Defensively". Consider investing 3 points on Mobility for your main tank to trade -4AB for +3AC while this is active. This is especially useful early in the game when you have no good items and spells, and later too, in higher difficulty settings. Without it, any group of enemies will eat through your frontline in no time.

Back
Top Bottom