What I've Been Watching: The Catch-All Film Thread

I just watched Escape Room (2019) yesterday, its a horror movie. There is a bit of a Saw movie series vibe to it, but its pretty clean, and not gory at all. Its about some weirdo rich elites who watch people (via tv) compete in who can make it out of rooms that are designed to test them, like test their smarts and logic and teamwork skills, and eventually kills them if they don't figure out how to escape the escape rooms.

If you thought this concept is cool, but don't like the gore of the Saw movies, you would like this. I mean, sure, people die in the movie, but its largely non-gory in how they film it. I will give one example - a person drowns in one escape room. Those kinds of non-gory deaths is mostly what is in the film.

It was entertaining enough that
I am going to watch the sequel, Escape Room: Tournament of Champions tonight.

The group of mostly young actors are surprisingly likeable, and aren't dumb and they aren't annoying either like in most modern horror films. They do a good job overall of acting in the movie, and it has a good suspense and we have to solve this puzzle vibe in the movie.

Saw an old comedy yesterday: "Le jour de gloire" (The day of honor). Back in the seventies the french made a lot of IMNSHO very funny crazy comedies, starring Louis de Funes, Pierre Richard and others. Found this movie on Netflixe, hope this means that they will publish more comedies from that era.

pibbur who aknowledges that perhaps he may not find them as funny as he did back then when he was young and innocent.

PS. Yes, I liked the film. DS.
Just to clarify, I suppose you mean "other crazy comedies starring Louis de Funès, Pierre Richard", because they were not in "Le jour de gloire", but Jean Lefèvre (also in a lot of comedies back then), Darry Cowl and other stars from then were. :)

"Le corniaud" and "La grande vadrouille" are among my favourites of that genre and era.

PS: Pierre Richard has never been in a movie with Louis de Funès, it was one of his big regrets at the end of his career ;)

I'm having difficulty deciding between going to the cinema during covid, or just waiting for a 4k version of the hbo film. Does/Will hbomax stream the movie in 4k?

HBO Max does support 4K, but I'm not sure if that means every film is available at that resolution.

I couldn't wait, so I caved and downloaded it. I watched it @1080p, and it looked great, so it probably looks phenomenal in 4k.

Just to clarify, I suppose you mean "other crazy comedies starring Louis de Funès, Pierre Richard", because they were not in "Le jour de gloire"...
Yes.

"Le corniaud" and "La grande vadrouille" are among my favourites of that genre and era.
Thanks for the tip, I'll see if I can find them.

PS: Pierre Richard has never been in a movie with Louis de Funès, it was one of his big regrets at the end of his career ;)
Interesting.

pibburR whose taste in comedy is crazy.

HBO Max does support 4K, but I'm not sure if that means every film is available at that resolution.

I couldn't wait, so I caved and downloaded it. I watched it @1080p, and it looked great, so it probably looks phenomenal in 4k.

Yeah, I also saw it @ 1080p. I'll get the 4k Blurays when they eventually get released. I didn't want to wait any longer.

I also liked it overall. Technically it's very strong. Looks amazing most of the time. I especially loved the locations, sets and costumes. They were all pretty amazing. But I think I also went in with way too much hype. Emotionally, I didn't really get that much from it. Again, it might be because I just had expectations that were way overblown. I'm not really sure what I expected. Anyway, very solid overall. I'm between 8, 8.5 or 9 out of 10 if I were to give it a score.

Yeah, it's usually about expectations. You seemed a lot more hyped about it than I was leading up to release.

It didn't blow my socks off or anything, but it was better than I was expecting. I even didn't mind Jason Momoa as Duncan Idaho, and I was sure I'd hate that casting choice.

I was disappointed though that some characters were changed or not there at all, (No Feyd or Emperor Shaddam?), but I assume the ones that were absent will be in the second half. We also didn't get to see a guild navigator.

Yeah, it's usually about expectations. You seemed a lot more hyped about it than I was leading up to release.

It didn't blow my socks off or anything, but it was better than I was expecting. I even didn't mind Jason Momoa as Duncan Idaho, and I was sure I'd hate that casting choice.

I was disappointed though that some characters were changed or not there at all, (No Feyd or Emperor Shaddam?), but I assume the ones that were absent will be in the second half. We also didn't get to see a guild navigator.

Most of the well-known actors were distracting to me. As it usually happens to me. So that sucks. But oh well.

As far as the worms, I loved them. Too bad it was really dark when we see the one upright. But it looked menacing as hell. That's the best thing about this movie imo. They really got the sense of scale in everything just right.

As far as the worms, I loved them. Too bad it was really dark when we see the one upright. But it looked menacing as hell. That's the best thing about this movie imo. They really got the sense of scale in everything just right.

I thought the worms were done better in Lynch's version.

There were a lot of things I liked more in this version though. Particularly the Sardaukar and Baron Harkonnen.

My fingers are crossed it's funny like the sequel and not ruined by modern politics. Though it would be hilarious to parody them at the end if they reach the modern age.

As for Dune I'll say again nothing beats the ScFy channel trilogy version. Never will.

Yep aren't opinions great I disagree with you once AGAIN but that's nothing new.:biggrin:

Also watched a movie this week that stars Jason Momoa called Sweet Girl. The premise was a father getting revenge for the death of his wife. The ending was a surprise.

The twist is Jason Momoa's character finds himself cornered on top of a stadium, where an FBI Agent reveals that Cooper died two years ago.

It's actually Rachel his young daughter who has been carrying out the vendetta.

Last edited:
Also enjoyed Dune. I haven't seen the 80s version in quite some time, so my collection may be off, but I preferred how this latest rendition spends more time fleshing out the the characters and reasons behind the plot(ting). My only critique, albeit relatively minor, would be that there could have been a couple less Zendaya flashbacks; they started to feel repetitive. Otherwise, it was a good film and I'm looking forward to the rest of the story.

I'm a huge fan of the eighties version of Dune, I've likely viewed the thing at least twenty times, and yes, some of that might be due to being both a huge fan of the books as well as a Lynch junkie. I didn't really care for the Siffy series at all, so I look forward to checking out this version at some time.

Back
Top Bottom