Colony Ship - Major Update - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Colony Ship - Major Update

Default Colony Ship - Major Update

December 15th, 2021, 20:26
Iron Tower Studios released a major update.

First System Update

Welcome to the first system update. The game was released on Early Access in April and until now our focus was on new locations and content. After releasing the Shuttle Bay we took a 3-week 'break' and worked on nothing but the systems.

These changes and improvements reflect the feedback we received over the last 7 months and we'd like to thank everyone who posted suggestions, shared builds, and participated in discussions. That's what Early Access is all about.

Thematically we can split the changes into 7 categories:

Difficulty & Tutorial

Despite our best efforts to keep the difficulty manageable and engage players who struggle, some players find the game frustrating and unplayable rather than challenging. Needless to say, frustrating people was never our goal, so we added Easy difficulty mode and a tutorial explaining key concepts.

Coincidentally, now that we don't have to worry about first-time players, we can make the Hard difficulty a bit more challenging.

Feats & Derived Stats

Charisma now adds Neural Resistance (see Psi Overhaul below). We added 3 new feats (Master Trader, Frog Hunter, Slow Metabolism) and 3 new mutually exclusive mutation feats as quest rewards. Plus balance changes to the existing feats as suggested by the players.

[… Weapons & Armor, Combat & Stealth AI, PSI Overhaul, Fight Balance, Misc …]
More information.

Redglyph

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
+1:

December 15th, 2021, 21:04
There's another long post with the patch notes.

Heh. Did they keep this light-on-dark log on the right? So uncomfortable to read long texts, I was hoping they'd fix that. Or am I the only one feeling that way?

Redglyph

SasqWatch

December 15th, 2021, 21:33
"Coincidentally, now that we don't have to worry about first-time players, we can make the Hard difficulty a bit more challenging."

That's potentially bad news for me. I have a feeling I'll be stuck between choosing a difficulty level that's boring because it's far too easy and one that just aggravates me.

JFarrell71

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
+1:

December 15th, 2021, 21:34
Originally Posted by Redglyph View Post
There's another long post with the patch notes.

Heh. Did they keep this light-on-dark log on the right? So uncomfortable to read long texts, I was hoping they'd fix that. Or am I the only one feeling that way?
I put damn near everything in dark mode, so I'm probably not the person to ask, haha.

JFarrell71

SasqWatch

December 15th, 2021, 21:42
Originally Posted by JFarrell71 View Post
I put damn near everything in dark mode, so I'm probably not the person to ask, haha.
Ah damn, I knew it wouldn't be a popular complaint

I'm often editing code in dark mode, curiously, but the contrast is different and a good choice of font / colour highlighting helps a lot.

Redglyph

SasqWatch

December 15th, 2021, 23:04
"Coincidentally, now that we don't have to worry about first-time players, we can make the Hard difficulty a bit more challenging."

That's potentially bad news for me. I have a feeling I'll be stuck between choosing a difficulty level that's boring because it's far too easy and one that just aggravates me.
I understood this as they will have three difficulty levels. Current difficulty will be normal, hard will be harder and easy will be easier.

BlackVoid

Watchdog

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

December 16th, 2021, 01:04
Originally Posted by BlackVoid View Post
I understood this as they will have three difficulty levels. Current difficulty will be normal, hard will be harder and easy will be easier.
Oh, hopefully so.

JFarrell71

SasqWatch

December 16th, 2021, 02:41
Oh, hopefully so.
That's what they had for dungeon rats. So I'm assuming it'll be the same here.

Pladio

Guardian of Nonsense
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)

December 16th, 2021, 04:53
I am just so, so stoked about this game. The last game I was this stoked about was Vagrus and it's as awesome and as different as I hoped. I've been wanting to play this since it was rumored after playing Age of Decadence, still one of the coolest… experiences, we'll say, I've ever had with a game. I think the storytelling in it was better than the much-vaunted Torment game.

I am really trying not to play this EA at all because I want to play the finished game in all its glory.
--
My mother said that dreams aren't real. But nightmares are.

FurtiveNyctophile

Sentinel

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

December 17th, 2021, 05:42
Originally Posted by Pladio View Post
That's what they had for dungeon rats. So I'm assuming it'll be the same here.
No, as of last year, VD was saying that Colony Ship would not have multiple difficulty levels at all. So it was never the plan to have the same setup as Dungeon Rats.

I interpret this update as saying they've added a 2nd difficulty that they're calling "Easy", and that the original/default difficulty is now named "Hard" - two difficulty levels total.

Stingray

SasqWatch
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)

December 18th, 2021, 00:30
I suppose the psionics gives it a magic-like element. Is it only for enemies, I wonder?

rjshae

Periapt vs Paronomasia
RPGWatch Donor

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Colony Ship - Major Update