Microsoft Games - Will buy Activision Blizzard - Page 3 - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Microsoft Games - Will buy Activision Blizzard

Default Microsoft Games - Will buy Activision Blizzard

January 19th, 2022, 12:43
Originally Posted by JFarrell71 View Post
Can you please stick to Youtube with this sort of thing? It's pointless spam. If you have something to contribute and you're the first one to do it, great. Otherwise, keep it to yourself.
41st!
lackblogger is offline

lackblogger

lackblogger's Avatar
SasqWatch

#41

Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 4,378
Mentioned: 91 Post(s)

Default 

January 19th, 2022, 12:50
I loathe corporates and the way they run business and I dont believe any corporate buyout can lead to improvement on field of innovation and creativity. If such things happen in corporate structure, its only exception that proves the rule.
Andrew23 is offline

Andrew23

Andrew23's Avatar
Keeper of the Watch

#42

Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 929
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)

Default 

January 19th, 2022, 15:16
Originally Posted by Andrew23 View Post
I loathe corporates and the way they run business and I dont believe any corporate buyout can lead to improvement on field of innovation and creativity. If such things happen in corporate structure, its only exception that proves the rule.
It's quite the opposite, imho, because corporations always buy out the new ideas (read : small companies) and put their inventions intoi the drawer, to protect the corporations' busioness in a most conservative ( literally ! ) way.
--
"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)
Alrik Fassbauer is offline

Alrik Fassbauer

Alrik Fassbauer's Avatar
TL;DR
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

#43

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Old Europe
Posts: 20,726
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)

Default 

January 19th, 2022, 18:39
Originally Posted by SveNitoR View Post
If he laughs all the way to the bank and the company gets better as well, that's win-win
It's not easy changing a companies working attitude or conditions. Not saying it's not impossible but most of the time it's just PR nonsense and lip-service to the public.

As for me I just want more SP games without battle.net from Blizzard.

Edit: Oh yeah and a remake or sequel of Arcanum as it's an IP of Activision Blizzard. Just make sure Obsidian or inXile get the job. Probably won't happen though.
--
“Opinions are like assholes, everybody's got one and everyone thinks everyone else's stinks.”
Couchpotato is offline

Couchpotato

Couchpotato's Avatar
Jaded Old-Timer

#44

Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Spudlandia
Posts: 28,616
Mentioned: 162 Post(s)

Default 

January 19th, 2022, 18:56
Originally Posted by Couchpotato View Post
Edit: Oh yeah and a remake or sequel of Arcanum as it's an IP of Activision Blizzard. Just make sure Obsidian or inXile get the job. Probably won't happen though.
I'd laugh if it got hyped and big-budgeted and then released really buggy and clunky. Would make for entertaining reading for sure.
lackblogger is offline

lackblogger

lackblogger's Avatar
SasqWatch

#45

Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 4,378
Mentioned: 91 Post(s)

Default 

January 19th, 2022, 18:56
Indeed, being able to play some of the classic games without that ugly battle net would be a huge boon for consumers. I'm also forced to agree with Andrew23, these types of acquisitions rarely if ever work out to the benefit of the poor consumers, so we'll have to watch and see how this all shakes out.
Carnifex is offline

Carnifex

SasqWatch

#46

Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Holly Hill, FL.
Posts: 15,272
Mentioned: 66 Post(s)

Default 

January 20th, 2022, 00:34
Originally Posted by Couchpotato View Post
As for me I just want more SP games without battle.net from Blizzard.

Edit: Oh yeah and a remake or sequel of Arcanum as it's an IP of Activision Blizzard. Just make sure Obsidian or inXile get the job. Probably won't happen though.
I might sound crazy for saying this but I want to see SP RPG with WoW graphics

Hey, I didn't know Blizzard owned Arcanum IP.
--
Favourite RPGs: Baldur's Gate 2, Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous, NWN: The Aielund Saga, Pathfinder: Kingmaker, Icewind Dale
purpleblob1 is offline

purpleblob1

purpleblob1's Avatar
Princess

#47

Join Date: Sep 2021
Posts: 604
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)

Default 

January 20th, 2022, 03:34
Originally Posted by purpleblob1 View Post
I might sound crazy for saying this but I want to see SP RPG with WoW graphics

Hey, I didn't know Blizzard owned Arcanum IP.
Activision owns the Arcanum IP and they merged with Blizzard years back and now Microsoft. It would be a nice IP to resurrect given Microsoft's interest in RPG's.
Originally Posted by lackblogger View Post
I'd laugh if it got hyped and big-budgeted and then released really buggy and clunky. Would make for entertaining reading for sure.
I have no doubt it wouldn't be a buggy mess, but that's just normal nowadays. Look at the latest Pathfinder CRPGs they are the buggiest RPGs made and this forum loves them.
--
“Opinions are like assholes, everybody's got one and everyone thinks everyone else's stinks.”
Couchpotato is offline

Couchpotato

Couchpotato's Avatar
Jaded Old-Timer

#48

Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Spudlandia
Posts: 28,616
Mentioned: 162 Post(s)

Default 

January 20th, 2022, 04:47
Originally Posted by Couchpotato View Post
Activision owns the Arcanum IP and they merged with Blizzard years back and now Microsoft. It would be a nice IP to resurrect given Microsoft's interest in RPG's.
I have no doubt it wouldn't be a buggy mess, but that's just normal nowadays. Look at the latest Pathfinder CRPGs they are the buggiest RPGs made and this forum loves them.
Tim Cain and Leonard Boyarsky would no doubt be interested. I can imagine Obsidian working on that in future.
Silver is offline

Silver

Silver's Avatar
Spaceman
RPGWatch Team

#49

Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 9,050
Mentioned: 80 Post(s)

Default 

January 20th, 2022, 05:02
Originally Posted by Silver View Post
Tim Cain and Leonard Boyarsky would no doubt be interested. I can imagine Obsidian working on that in future.
Whats weird is inXile is rumored to have a steampunk RPG in development. Maybe it's a spiritual sequel to Arcanum as Microsoft knew the deal would go through eventually.
--
“Opinions are like assholes, everybody's got one and everyone thinks everyone else's stinks.”
Last edited by Couchpotato; January 20th, 2022 at 06:07.
Couchpotato is offline

Couchpotato

Couchpotato's Avatar
Jaded Old-Timer

#50

Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Spudlandia
Posts: 28,616
Mentioned: 162 Post(s)
+1:

Default 

January 20th, 2022, 17:59
It's clear they are making gaming netflix… Poor play station…
Dolby is offline

Dolby

Watchdog

#51

Join Date: Nov 2019
Posts: 128
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)

Default 

January 20th, 2022, 23:55
Xbox CEO Phil Spencer talking about reviving old Activision games.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/video…-phil-spencer/

He actually mentions King's Quest and Hexen among others, but I'm not sure how serious he is. I don't see Microsoft greenlighting what would probably amount to being niche games at this point.
JDR13 is online now

JDR13

JDR13's Avatar
SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

#52

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Florida, US
Posts: 32,695
Mentioned: 135 Post(s)

Default 

January 21st, 2022, 01:14
Those are two great franchises to at least mention, for sure. They might be considered niche yet I suspect plenty would pony up a few bucks to play both these days, new releases I mean.
Carnifex is offline

Carnifex

SasqWatch

#53

Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Holly Hill, FL.
Posts: 15,272
Mentioned: 66 Post(s)

Default 

January 21st, 2022, 02:46
Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
Xbox CEO Phil Spencer talking about reviving old Activision games.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/video…-phil-spencer/

He actually mentions King's Quest and Hexen among others, but I'm not sure how serious he is. I don't see Microsoft greenlighting what would probably amount to being niche games at this point.
With gamepass those franchises don't have to be mega sellers which makes it much more likely we'll see something.
Silver is offline

Silver

Silver's Avatar
Spaceman
RPGWatch Team

#54

Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 9,050
Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
+1:

Default 

January 21st, 2022, 03:15
Originally Posted by MAHak View Post
My exact thought.
I hope they don't give it the Awoved treatment though, not at least until they have published an isometric or two!
What am I missing here? Does Activision own the rights? I know Troika developed…

Now would be a good time to revive the franchise with BG3 and relative success of other throwback iso RPG's under their fold, such as PoE and the Wastelands.

Edit: NM, I see someone answered that above!
rossrjensen is offline

rossrjensen

Keeper of the Watch
Original Sin Donor

#55

Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 791
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Default 

January 21st, 2022, 06:55
Originally Posted by rossrjensen View Post
What am I missing here? Does Activision own the rights? I know Troika developed…
Yes. They were initially owned by Vivendi Games, the parent company of Sierra, but Vivendi merged with Activision maybe around 2014?
JDR13 is online now

JDR13

JDR13's Avatar
SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

#56

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Florida, US
Posts: 32,695
Mentioned: 135 Post(s)

Default 

January 21st, 2022, 13:22
Originally Posted by Silver View Post
With gamepass those franchises don't have to be mega sellers which makes it much more likely we'll see something.
Are you sure? I mean with GaaS of course they need to count sales, but still there still will be some evaluation which games make sense (in regards to revenue) to develop and which not.
--
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.
- George Bernard Shaw


Currently playing: Black Geyser
Morrandir is offline

Morrandir

Morrandir's Avatar
SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

#57

Join Date: May 2013
Location: Germany
Posts: 4,371
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)

Default 

January 21st, 2022, 13:37
Originally Posted by Morrandir View Post
Are you sure? I mean with GaaS of course they need to count sales, but still there still will be some evaluation which games make sense (in regards to revenue) to develop and which not.
Phil Spencer has said in the past that niche titles are much more likely to have a future with gamepass. I'm not sure what IP is still relevant or interesting to modern audiences, although that sounds like corporate speak to me, but with the right developer I'm sure a good game could be made.
Silver is offline

Silver

Silver's Avatar
Spaceman
RPGWatch Team

#58

Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 9,050
Mentioned: 80 Post(s)

Default 

January 21st, 2022, 14:10
Originally Posted by Silver View Post
Phil Spencer has said in the past that niche titles are much more likely to have a future with gamepass.
I gave this statement a few minutes of thought, but I couldn't come up with a justification.
I mean yes, they can use gamepass to evaluate which types of niche games are played and which are not and then derive which niche games attract how many new custiomers to cover development cost.
But a big enough company can do this without gamepass (or similar) by just selling the product and looking at sales numbers.
Also they could find out that it doesn't make sense at all to develop niche games which would result in these games not having a future.

Oh well, perhaps I'm missing something.
--
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.
- George Bernard Shaw


Currently playing: Black Geyser
Morrandir is offline

Morrandir

Morrandir's Avatar
SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

#59

Join Date: May 2013
Location: Germany
Posts: 4,371
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)

Default 

January 21st, 2022, 22:23
Originally Posted by Morrandir View Post
I gave this statement a few minutes of thought, but I couldn't come up with a justification.
I mean yes, they can use gamepass to evaluate which types of niche games are played and which are not and then derive which niche games attract how many new custiomers to cover development cost.
But a big enough company can do this without gamepass (or similar) by just selling the product and looking at sales numbers.
Also they could find out that it doesn't make sense at all to develop niche games which would result in these games not having a future.

Oh well, perhaps I'm missing something.
Phil is keen on having a variety of offerings so that gamepass has broad appeal. Thats the logic he cited.
Silver is offline

Silver

Silver's Avatar
Spaceman
RPGWatch Team

#60

Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 9,050
Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Microsoft Games - Will buy Activision Blizzard
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT +2. The time now is 07:33.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by DragonByte Security (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2022 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2022 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright by RPGWatch