Logic Artists - Expeditions Developer Closing Down - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Logic Artists - Expeditions Developer Closing Down

Default Logic Artists - Expeditions Developer Closing Down

January 22nd, 2022, 23:02
@TechRaptor Logic Artists, having just released Expeditions: Rome will be closing down and the developers will join Dynasty Studios to make NFT games.

There's bad news for fans of the Expeditions franchise -- Expeditions: Rome developer Logic Artists is closing down and joining Dynasty Studios to make NFT games.

Expeditions: Rome has launched today, a little more than a year after the game was first revealed. It's a solid entry in the franchise, but it also looks like it may be the last: Logic Artists is closing down and joining Dynasty Studios to make NFT games.

[…]
More information.

Silver

Spaceman
RPGWatch Team

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)

January 22nd, 2022, 23:22
Check this thread too, where @purpleblob1 has already posted a few news and reactions about this.

Redglyph

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)

January 23rd, 2022, 00:05
I was worried about the post-release support for Expeditions:Rome but the article says the franchise belongs to THQ Nordic and that "The creation of Dynasty will not affect the support of Rome nor the DLC plans."
--
Sou tricolor de coração!

Sie sind das Essen und Wir sind die Jäger!

henriquejr

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)

January 23rd, 2022, 00:53
joining Dynasty Studios to make NFT games.

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 135 Post(s)

January 23rd, 2022, 01:01
What's an NFT game ?

Pladio

Guardian of Nonsense
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin Donor

January 23rd, 2022, 01:08
Not Fucking Trying
--
Proud leader of the Shit Games Liberation Front
All your shit games are belong to us

FIRST KNIGHT OF THE ORDER OF THE BLOB

Shagnak

SGLF Founder

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)

January 23rd, 2022, 01:26
Logic Artists, having just released Expeditions: Rome will be closing down and the developers will join Dynasty Studios to make NFT games.
--
"I cannot define the real problem, therefore I suspect there's no real problem, but I'm not sure there's no real problem."
Richard Feynman
Last edited by Ripper; January 23rd, 2022 at 01:54.

Ripper

Бажаю успіху

Mentioned: 121 Post(s)
+1:

January 23rd, 2022, 03:28
Originally Posted by Pladio View Post
What's an NFT game ?
Think of all the online games that offer thousands of DLC, but instead they sell a limited number of digital items in both SP and MP. It's basically playing to earn as it's coined nowadays. So NFT's are unique digital collectibles on the internet blockchain.

Link - https://academy.binance.com/en/artic…w-do-they-work
--
“Opinions are like assholes, everybody's got one and everyone thinks everyone else's stinks.”
Last edited by Couchpotato; January 23rd, 2022 at 03:42. Reason: Added Link

Couchpotato

Jaded Old-Timer

Mentioned: 162 Post(s)
+1:

January 23rd, 2022, 03:32
Logic Artists claim THQ Nordic will we be handling the DLC and patches, but how will that work? Will it be a different studio? This does not sound like a good decision.
--
“Opinions are like assholes, everybody's got one and everyone thinks everyone else's stinks.”

Couchpotato

Jaded Old-Timer

Mentioned: 162 Post(s)
+1:

January 23rd, 2022, 04:30
This just sounds all kinds of awful to me. What a shame, I can only hope these folks eventually regain their collective senses.

Carnifex

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
+1:

January 23rd, 2022, 05:51
Agree with the general sentiment. Speaking as a software engineer with 20 years+ experience, there is no way anthing half decent is going to be done with the game now - apart from basic fixes that can be done via the dev toolset.

I actually did get a wierd vibe when I read the interview with them a few days ago.
This is what they said when asked about the future:

Ultimately, I don't know what the future holds for Expeditions, but as long as Rome is successful, I'd love to explore where the series might go in the future.
Guess we know that is a complete hogwash - they would of already been planning the NFT move for months. Surely they wouldn't base the future of the product on the first week of sales?
--
Favourite RPGs of all time: Wizardry 6, Ultima 7/7.2, Fallout2, Planescape Torment, Baldurs Gate 2+TOB, Jagged Alliance 2, Ravenloft: The stone prophet, Gothic 2, Realms of Arkania:Blade of destiny (not the HD version!!) and Secret of the Silver Blades.

bjon045

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)

January 23rd, 2022, 07:03
The marketeers are on another profit-making run I see. Yesterday it was loot boxes, now it's the NFT/blockchain scam.

rjshae

Periapt vs Paronomasia
RPGWatch Donor

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
+1:

January 23rd, 2022, 10:36
I don't necessarily like this decision but I'm all for people getting the most out of life - doing whatever they want, even if it's making money thru sleaze. Not what I'd want to do but as a (non-gaming) dev that feels like good devs are underpaid, I applaud taking the risk ang going for it.

Voqar

PC Gaming Snob

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

January 23rd, 2022, 11:14
Originally Posted by Couchpotato View Post
Logic Artists claim THQ Nordic will we be handling the DLC and patches, but how will that work? Will it be a different studio? This does not sound like a good decision.
That's true, we don't know for sure at this point. But there is no way a DLC and support can be guaranteed without the team staying in place long enough, nobody said this would happen immediately.

What we know is that Dynasty Studios is completely separated from THQ Nordic, Expeditions: Rome and its budget.

As for future games, Jonas said in a couple of posts that not everyone would go to Dynasty Studios, he even said as an ambiguous clue that he had nothing to do with it. It wouldn't be surprising to see a spin-off since those developers have worked together for a long time and they have made very good games. It's not as if there were any sign of decline or wish to disband. But that's wishful thinking, we should know more in a few months.

Redglyph

SasqWatch

January 23rd, 2022, 11:58
That makes me not want to buy Rome out of spite. I know its not logical, but I was buying their games on release before to support a small indie studio I liked. If they're just giving up on these games I may as well wait for the bargain bin.

Pladio

Guardian of Nonsense
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin Donor

January 23rd, 2022, 12:03
Really sorry to hear this, I really like the guys at Logic Artists. I wish them every luck for the future.

Daniel.

darklord

Keeper of the Watch
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
+1:

January 23rd, 2022, 13:02
This is bananas. Hopefully THQ Nordic can find another developer to handle the expeditions franchise because it would suck to not have another expeditions game. I’d love to see a fantasy expeditions next maybe based on a book series.

delijoe

Watcher

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
+1:

January 23rd, 2022, 13:13
Da hell? I did a double-take seeing if it's not April 1st. That's a weird turn.

danutz_plusplus

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
+1:

January 23rd, 2022, 14:01
That makes me not want to buy Rome out of spite. I know its not logical, but I was buying their games on release before to support a small indie studio I liked. If they're just giving up on these games I may as well wait for the bargain bin.
You could see that as supporting what they've done, not what they're about to do. Especially since we don't know what they're about to do.

That being said, I believe that what they're going to do will be good too, even if's not the Expeditions series anymore. If THQ continues the series with another development team, I'll be very cautious; I'd be following the team, not the series.

Redglyph

SasqWatch

January 23rd, 2022, 15:19
Bought it, but haven't played it yet. If sales do well I'm sure something good will be born of the ashes.

skally_wag

Sentinel

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Logic Artists - Expeditions Developer Closing Down