ATOM RPG - Interview @ Hardcore Droid

Redglyph

proud GASP member
@Farflame; spotted that Hardcore Droid had interviewed the creators of ATOM RPG. Thanks for the link!

An Interview with Atent Games, Creators of ATOM RPG

A Love Letter to Classic RPGs

Developed by the skilled indie team at Atent Games, ATOM RPG satisfies our craving for classic turn-based CRPGs of the past. Officially launched in 2018, the game came about in part thanks to a successful Kickstarter campaign with over 1,100 backers. But, as explained on the Kickstarter page, Atent's post-apocalyptic RPG is a passion project that would have been completed no matter the outcome of the crowdfunding operation.

That dedication is evident in the result: a detailed, nonlinear world with immersive writing; deep, multi-choice dialogues; and a compelling setting that clamors for exploration. Set in an alternative history in which a world war between the Soviet Union and the Western Bloc ended in a devastating clash of nuclear bombs, civilization in ATOM RPG has nearly ceased to exist. The survivors make do with what remains and try to rebuild in the post-nuclear wasteland.

Hardcore Droid recently had the opportunity to interview Anton Krasilnikov, a writer and designer for Atent Games who has racked up over 10 years in game development. Here are some of the insights that he shared with us about the creation of ATOM RPG.

Your team is located in four different countries. How did you come together as a team of developers?

We met online, on indie developer forums and social media sites, but some of us already knew each other before the team formed. For example, our writers and programmers were co-workers on other projects to begin with.

[...]
More information.

I liked a lot about this game - but the writing was really, really not that good.

By the way, does someone know if Atent Games and AtomTeam are the same? I'm confused now.
From what I understand it's a new studio formed from the AtomTeam.
AtentGames is a company created from Atom Team - multinational game indie-development studio based in Cyprus, Ukraine, Russia and Latvia.
So more like a new name and hiring of more talent.

From what I understand it's a new studio formed from the AtomTeam.
So more like a new name and hiring of more talent.

Thanks! I missed that one, I was too fixated on the team posing in front of Pripyat buildings ;)

I wonder why they changed. Apparently AtomTeam was founded in 2014 (based in Riga, Letvia) and is still active with ~10 employees, and Atent Games was founded in 2019 (based in Cyprus) and has 1 employee (no date for this information).

So maybe the climate is better over there, or perhaps there are other advantages like a low tax regime. ;)

I have the feeling this shouldn't have a bad impact on the games they make.

Back
Top Bottom