General News - Turn-Based Lovers' Best RPGs - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » General News - Turn-Based Lovers' Best RPGs

Default General News - Turn-Based Lovers' Best RPGs

December 15th, 2021, 15:06
Turn-Based Lovers wrote about the best isometric RPGs. They have also released a video with a subset of the list. Thanks Andrea Ciocca!

THE BEST ISOMETRIC TURN-BASED RPGS

A continuously updated list of the best isometric Turn-Based RPGs out there till now.

In this article we cover some of the best and playable Isometric Turn-Based RPGs. Games in the vein of the very first Fallout and Baldur's Gate that defined the genre and its sub-genres back in day. One that remains a firm favourite of developers even today. With games that retain an isometric perspective, while offering new and improved mechanics.

[…]

CRITERIA & PURPOSE OF THE LIST

Our aim in creating this list of the best RPGs with isometric presentation, is not to rank games but to collect and showcase them all. Updating this list whenever there is a new release and to listen to suggestions about games we missed. All with the aim of making this list as comprehensive as possible. All the Turn-Based RPGs shown below are sorted per release date, starting with the oldest first.

[…]

loading…

In this video we cover some of the best and playable Isometric Turn-Based RPGs. Games in the vein of the very first Fallout and Baldur's Gate that defined the genre and its sub-genres back in day. For the video version, we started from 2013 till the end of 2021 while in the written article you will find even some of the great classics. Link below. Enjoy
More information.

Redglyph

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)

December 15th, 2021, 15:11
Well what a surprise Baldur's Gate III is mentioned again.

Not bad for a game that's not even officially released.
--
“Opinions are like assholes, everybody's got one and everyone thinks everyone else's stinks.”

Couchpotato

Jaded Old-Timer

Mentioned: 162 Post(s)

December 15th, 2021, 15:54
They basically mention all of them!

vanedor

Keeper of the Watch

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)

December 15th, 2021, 19:08
Lots to look forward to for us, whoopeee!

Carnifex

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)

December 15th, 2021, 19:56
In related news, Colony Ship just got a big update that includes an 'Easy' difficulty level.
Tempted…

https://store.steampowered.com/app/6…_Playing_Game/

connus

Watcher

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

December 16th, 2021, 05:05
That list looks a lot like my list of favorite games ever. It's almost like I have a type.

--
My mother said that dreams aren't real. But nightmares are.

FurtiveNyctophile

Sentinel

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

December 16th, 2021, 06:44
Wish I could say the same but I play more RPGs then just TB games.

My list would probably be double the size.
--
“Opinions are like assholes, everybody's got one and everyone thinks everyone else's stinks.”

Couchpotato

Jaded Old-Timer

+1:

December 16th, 2021, 11:03
Originally Posted by Couchpotato View Post
Wish I could say the same but I play more RPGs then just TB games.

My list would probably be double the size.
Yeah, it's time we found a Youtuber "Real-time with pause lovers"
It's strange that TB is getting more and more popular - at least, that's the impression I get. It was there way before video games, so logic would have had it the other way round. We should have started with TB games and progressed towards RTwP.

Well, we sort of had that, and I suppose we're in a 2nd cycle, except it goes backwards (I don't mean that as a regression, I like both styles).

Redglyph

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)

December 16th, 2021, 11:10
Yeah it's the whole genre revival act again as TB games went out of favor for many years due to publishers/developers considering them not worth the money/resources anymore.

Nowadays many independent developers consider TB easier/cheaper to implement.
--

Couchpotato

Jaded Old-Timer

December 16th, 2021, 15:38
Turn-Based games bring in more groups of people. Wargamers, tabletop gamers, strategists, old-school RPG fans, and just older people that want to take their time. It's easy to see why it's more popular, bigger tent.

I enjoyed real-time strategy games when I was younger and they were new but after a few years, I got bored with them. I don't enjoy feeling rushed when I'm gaming so that's just my preference.
--
"From knowledge springs Power, just as weakness stems from Ignorance."

Hastar

Unspeakable
RPGWatch Donor

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)

December 16th, 2021, 18:39
I need to schedule a time to visit Colony Ship myself, thanks for the reminder!

Carnifex

SasqWatch

December 16th, 2021, 22:25
I'm just sad that I'm in minority once again.

People complain they don't have enough time to play games and yet they want to take their time during combat --> sounds like they want short TB RPGs while I want 100 hour RTwP RPGs. I hate spending my entire weekday's leisure time in a single combat so definitely prefer RTwP.

purpleblob1

Princess

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)

December 16th, 2021, 22:38
Purple, I've just sunk almost one hundred thirty hours into a game called God Wars: the complete Legend. It's similar to Final Fantasy: Tactics, so if something like that appeals, maybe check it out.

Oh, and apparently I'm not finished yet, lol. I did some epic battle yesterday that I thought ended the game, the credits rolled and all, then popped me onto a new screen with more fights!

Carnifex

SasqWatch

December 17th, 2021, 11:05
Originally Posted by purpleblob1 View Post
Being in minority is not a thing to be sad about.

But your comment draw my interest on how the actual distribution is. And I actually found a peer-reviewed scientific paper in which the authors (Mäkelä/Schmidt) describe a meta analysis of combat systems. It's quite an interesting read. As a nice little detail, RPGWatch was also part of the meta analsysis.
--
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.
- George Bernard Shaw

Currently playing: Black Geyser

Morrandir

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)

December 17th, 2021, 14:18
Originally Posted by purpleblob1 View Post

People complain they don't have enough time to play games and yet they want to take their time during combat --> sounds like they want short TB RPGs while I want 100 hour RTwP RPGs. I hate spending my entire weekday's leisure time in a single combat so definitely prefer RTwP.
I want long TB RPGs like Underrail and Lords of Xulima. TB battles can be fast if done right. Usually fast and deadly combat like in Fallout and Underrail. I also enjoy long TB battles like in Battle Brothers. Those battles usually take place later in the game when your mercenary group is going against large squads of orcs and undead.

Many of us started gaming with Wizardry, Bard's Tale, and Might and Magic. For me, turn-based games will always be king.

If I'm controlling a single character like in Skyrim or Gothic then I love real-time combat.
--
"From knowledge springs Power, just as weakness stems from Ignorance."

Hastar

Unspeakable
RPGWatch Donor

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)

December 17th, 2021, 14:25
I like good turn-based combat games, good real-time combat games and good RTWP-combat games and dislike all the bad ones.

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
RPGWatch Team
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 128 Post(s)
+1:
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » General News - Turn-Based Lovers' Best RPGs