Horrible Tornados ! - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » Horrible Tornados !

Default Horrible Tornados !

December 15th, 2021, 15:59
Hello,

I was very shocked by the photos and the reports of that Tornados that were going through Kentucky … It looked horrible on those photos …

Is everybody safe ? I don't know who from the Watch members is living there, but I'm very worried right now …

Alrik
--
"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)

December 15th, 2021, 16:24
Tornado's & Twisters are common in certain states every year mostly in summer/spring.

I've rarely seen them in winter but lately weather patterns have erratic for years now. It's warmer with rain were it used to cold and with snow. So climate change in effect.
--
“Opinions are like assholes, everybody's got one and everyone thinks everyone else's stinks.”

Couchpotato

Jaded Old-Timer

Mentioned: 162 Post(s)

December 15th, 2021, 18:37
We had many of them Autumn & Winter last year, though it's probably not as bad here. Except the floods we had in Summer, but they were not accompanied by a tornado.

I had a stupid typhoon alert on my phone today, and a moment of panic before I realized it was for the Philippines… I sympathize and it may be selfish, but I really didn't need that.

Redglyph

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)

December 15th, 2021, 19:04
I used to frequently see tornados where I used to live, in Maryland. You get used to them after a time, yet it's always in the back of your mind, similar to living in hurricane alley. Keep a dash-and-go bag handy, stock emergency supplies, and always be ready to help those less able.

Carnifex

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)

December 15th, 2021, 20:08
The magnitude of the tornados hitting that area this year is not common. The amount of death and destruction far exceeds the norm.

I don't know anyone (well) in Kentucky, but I have friends in Iowa, Nebraska… I'm a bit nervous. Apparently one is set to rip through Omaha today.

JFarrell71

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
+1:

December 15th, 2021, 20:44
I live in Ohio. That's just North of Kentucky. We usually get the majority of tornados in April-June. The tornados missed my area this time but it was windy as hell and bad thunderstorms. Which is unusual for December. My dogs usually get November-March off from thunder and lightning.
--
"From knowledge springs Power, just as weakness stems from Ignorance."

Hastar

Unspeakable
RPGWatch Donor

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)

December 15th, 2021, 21:36
Welcome to the new tomorrow. For those of you lucky to see the world in 30 years; you are into a treat or at least a bit of weather excitement.

notdart

Watcher

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

December 15th, 2021, 23:14
The Almanac has called for heavy storms for the autumn/winter in the States this year plus, so for now it seems spot-on. That's been my weather bible for almost fifty years, it's fairly reliable, and beats some nubile yokel trying to prognosticate and hurting my ears with their incessant babbling.

Carnifex

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)

December 16th, 2021, 01:08
Originally Posted by Hastar View Post
I live in Ohio. That's just North of Kentucky. We usually get the majority of tornados in April-June. The tornados missed my area this time but it was windy as hell and bad thunderstorms. Which is unusual for December. My dogs usually get November-March off from thunder and lightning.
It's frakkin' nuts! 72F/22C here in KC in the middle of December! I had to turn the A/C on after playing Mechwarrior 5 for a few hours and heating up my room. The average high is 43F/6C. Needless to say, we've got a record high today. It isn't just a blip, either. It's been warm for about three weeks now.

VERY windy today - looks like a "gust front" (thin line of intense but fast moving storms) headed in soon that will knock the temps down a little. At least I can turn off the A/C!

P.S. The average just covers 1991 to 2020's weather.
--
The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views….
-- Doctor Who in "Face of Evil"

Zloth

I smell a… wumpus!?

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
+1:

December 16th, 2021, 02:18
Until a few weeks ago, I was less than a mile from the Kentucky state line, although further east than the tornados reached. They're saying the huge one that did all the damage set a record for distance, something like 220 miles on the ground from start to finish. Could have gotten much uglier than it did (not to minimize anything at all) because the tornado's path points fairly directly at Louisville and the Ohio River valley would have given it both additional power and a funnel to follow.

Where I live now, we got 60mph winds and thunderstorms. Enough to keep me wary since I don't know the ins-n-outs of this house yet, but never really to the point of being scary.
--
Sorry. No pearls of wisdom in this oyster.
Dallas Cowboys: Can we be done with the offseason? / / Detroit Red Wings: At least we get a new coach

dteowner

Shoegazer

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)

December 17th, 2021, 14:27
On a selfish personal note, I would like to complain about a side of climate change that is driving me nuts. The ground doesn't freeze where I live until January now and my dogs are ruining my house with their muddy paws with all this damn rain in December.
--
"From knowledge springs Power, just as weakness stems from Ignorance."

Hastar

Unspeakable
RPGWatch Donor

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » Horrible Tornados !