GOG.com has fired a significant number of employees

I've read about it elsewhere - it's not anything significant and is business as usual. According to GOG it's about restructuring where a few were fired some new hired and currently GOG wants to hire 20ish people, dunno for what jobs though.
In other words, if GOG was trying to launch whatever phone rubbish, decided they don't need it and now fired phone developers, ah, well, tough luck for them.

There is however some suspicious source that says GOG is in financial problems. Dunno nothing about that, on the other hand, was there any time when GOG wasn't having financial problems? Was there any time when you didn't have financial problems? It's not EA.

Spring is coming, companies are flushing employees to make their finances looks better on the short term.

*yawn*

Saying that, if those digital retailers can't even turn a profit with 30% cut because of low sales in a month, how the hell are Discord and Epic going to survive long term?

So GOG fired twelve workers and everyone freaks out? Seriously come back to me when they lay off 800 employees like Activision Blizzard,and other larger companies.

In the meantime the reddit threads are hilarious as they all spout doom and gloom.

Lol are you serious comparing gog with activision
Yes because the internet replies make it sound like its the end of GOG.

800 vs 12 whats worse I wonder?:p

Anyway Joxer's reply above is correct.

It's perfect as a small-scale nostalgia hub - but that's about it.

If they seriously hired to compete with the big boys, which I kinda doubt, then I'm not exactly surprised they have to scale back.

But who knows, really.

800 or 12 only means something within the context of the size of the thing. I have no idea how many people worked for GOG in a capacity that relates to these people - and I'm (almost) sure none of you have a clue, either - as that's not really your thing :)

I can already hear the Googling starting, though.

I got a nice news headline for everyone.:biggrin:

"GOG Fires 12 Employees Internet Overreacts Again"

It's hard to know if it's an overreaction with zero insight.

Of course, it's easy if you operate from an agenda that's not about trying to figure out the truth.

If there is zero insight available, it definitely is an overreaction.

It would be interesting to know how many employees gog has - i.e, what percentage or type of employees were layed off. 12 seems like a small number but I would not be surprise if gog was in order of 50 to 100 so it might be as many as 15%...

So GOG fired twelve workers and everyone freaks out? Seriously come back to me when they lay off 800 employees like Activision Blizzard,and other larger companies.

In the meantime the reddit threads are hilarious as they all spout doom and gloom.

Well the article had a lot of details; the store (gog.com) is barely breaking even the last couple of months so they were adjusting head-count to match decrease revenue. The mentioned that the recent witcher game didn't sell that well (not surprising) and that epic/discord are putting pressure to on the industry to cut % per sale. This could be harsh on gog since a lof of their games are 'good old games' at low prices.

If there is zero insight available, it definitely is an overreaction.

I haven’t bought anything from gog in probably a year or maybe 2. Come to thing of it I don’t even remember what my login is.

I only buy old games from them and I just don’t have any time for older games anymore. My backlog is full of newer games I don’t have time to play.

Well the article had a lot of details; the store (gog.com) is barely breaking even the last couple of months so they were adjusting head-count to match decrease revenue. The mentioned that the recent witcher game didn't sell that well (not surprising) and that epic/discord are putting pressure to on the industry to cut % per sale. This could be harsh on gog since a lof of their games are 'good old games' at low prices.

Those are all fair points, yet to see whether those layoffs are significant, we'd need the rough number of employees.

Posted on GOG Forums - https://www.gog.com/forum/general/conclusion_of_the_bfair_price_packageb_program_9b7f5/post199
First of all, thank you for your support. This was not an easy decision to discontinue the FPP program and we're grateful to you for understanding the reasons behind it.

We see that quite a few of you raised concerns about GOG's future. As a part of publicly traded company, we can't comment on any financial results until they are officially reported, but we want to ensure you everything is good with GOG. Being part of a big gaming company, some reports - especially some given by significant media outlets - can often sound much scarier than reality.

You've been also concerned about your access to the games you’ve purchased on GOG. We've covered this topic years ago and it's been in our User Agreement for a long time (please check the section 17.3). This is not only a legal obligation to you but a core part of our ethics as a company.

But don’t worry, all is good, and we have a great plan for the future of GOG. We can’t wait for you to see some of the exciting things we have coming very soon.

This was the first year I bought a game on GOG in a long time. The process was done fairly well, but yea, it could be smoother, not a huge fan of the GOG Galaxy client thingie. In any case, I doubt this is anything more than a small blip of "restructuring" or whatever the corporate speak is these days of trying to run a business and save money. There is still a market of gamers out there who don't want DRM in their games, in my view.

There is still a market of gamers out there who don't want DRM in their games, in my view.

Not many probably
9sf1BYT.jpg

also giving away free games if you got them on steam surely wasnt a smart move financially

Back
Top Bottom