General News - 7 Games with Great Side Quests

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
@Gamasutra Seven games with great side quest design with pointers from Chris Avellone , George Ziets, Mateusz Tomaszkiewicz, Brad Johnson and Bruce Nesmith.

Fallout 2's open-ended quest and skill systems

The Witcher 3's lead quest designer Mateusz Tomaszkiewicz thinks that Fallout 2 has particularly good quest designs. "Tasks are simple, but open-ended," he explains. "You can complete many of them in a variety of ways and it’s done very organically — they don’t seem forced, nor do they involve much hand holding, if any at all." Indeed, the game is so open-ended that most quests can be bypassed altogether — meaning that nearly every quest could be described as a side quest. And the player's actions have consequences — even in the more innocuous quests — that can play out both over the course of their remaining journey and in the ending.

Fallout 2 also cleverly works the skill system into the dialogue, with every stat affecting dialogue choices and results, rather than following the common approach of only checking communication-related skills.

"If you invested heavily in small guns, for example, you might end up using that knowledge to impress someone," says Tomaszkiewicz. "If you know a lot about computers, you could’ve used that fact to reprogram a robot, etc. This use of gameplay-related skills in dialogues and quests was very unique and immersive — something I’d come to expect from a pen & paper RPG, not a video game."

TAKEAWAY: Side quests, like main quests, benefit from an open-endedness that allows for different solutions and playstyles and that ideally also acknowledges all of the player character's relevant skills.

[…]
More information.

That was an interesting article and they did mention many games that I consider having great side quests. There are many crpg's I don't finish but if I start a fun or interesting side quest I almost always finish it.

My case too.
Yakuza 0's quirky substories
I believe I've already posted this game needs to be ported on PC. ASAP.

The GTA*series has also been great on this front, with GTA V's paparazzi side missions and San Andreas' array of optional activities — vigilante missions, firefighting, gang wars, dirt track racing, boxing, and even dating*— among the highlights
No. GTA5 sidequests/sideactivities are mediocre if not plain boredom.

Breaking news: games with decent writers may potentially have decent sidequests!!

In many cases witcher 3 side quests were better than the main quests. Of course witcher 3 also had way too much lame filler quests but that is a different matter...

I would totally agree with some of the witcher three side quests being far more interesting than the main one, at times. Some also did an excellent job of enhancing the over main story in certain ways.

Glad to see Gothic 1 & 2 made the list. I'm going to have to fire them up and revisit Khorinis. It's been too long since I've seen the old place and visited old friends.

Back
Top Bottom