Star Control: Origins - Available Now

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
Stardock's Star Control: Origins has been launched today from Steam and Stardock.

After 5 years of development to become Stardock's biggest release ever, we're pleased to announce Star Control®: OriginsTM, our sci-fi adventure RPG is now available.
blocked.gif
In Star Control: Origins' adventure mode, players will take control of Earth's first interstellar ship to discover dozens of unique alien races, one of which is the mysterious Scryve who apparently want to completely destroy all traces of human life. Befriend strange extraterrestrials, gather resources from thousands of planets, and engage any hostile aliens as you set out to save humanity from a number of unknown threats.
blocked.gif
Players looking to directly engage in space combat will want to check out the Fleet Battles mode. In it, players can partake in multiplayer ship-to-ship combat against opponents both online and locally as they pilot vessels featured in adventure mode and custom ships created within the Ship Crafting system. Players have total control over how a custom ship looks, as well as what weapons and defenses it'll wield.

More information.

Didn't think it was going to release so soon. Now I have another game I have to play.I'll probably add it to my backlog, and instead play Pathfinder: Kingmaker in seven days.

Build-your-own-ship screen looks a bit like Gal Civ 3.

Initial reviews from beta testers, people more interested in stating their opinion than playing, and people giving a parting shot before requesting a refund is 90% positive.

To many games, to little time! I'm getting this for sure, but I'll wait until I actually have the time to play it.

To many games, to little time! I'm getting this for sure, but I'll wait until I actually have the time to play it.
Yep and it gets worse as the months go on as more games get released. On the bright side I never run out of games to play as my backlog is very long right now.:whew:

Graphics looks like intended for 2-5 year olds, and it's not in a Nintendo way at all (these games can look childish but they also have tons of style). No idea about the gameplay though.

I must be that age then because I actually like the art direction. When so many games are dark and realistic a more light hearted and colourful game is a welcome change of scenery.

I must be that age then because I actually like the art direction. When so many games are dark and realistic a more light hearted and colourful game is a welcome change of scenery.
The outrage I see is mostly from fans of old games. As I seem to recall the court case against the original owners of the Ip and Stardock. Was the lawsuit dropped? Who won?

I'm much more interested in Starflight 3 if it gets funded. I don't care for the overall style here, and I dislike how small the planets are.

It's a bit different looking for a space faring game, but that wouldn't stop me from playing it. I'll be keeping an eye on this one, and might just grab it on a sale or price drop at some point.

Strangely, for me, the aliens were the least of the problems - they just looked fun/colourful in an inoffensive sort of way. The humans, however, looked straight off modern-little-kids TV in a very "shiny", "mommy knows best" sort of way. Ugh. Similarly the gameplay presentation also had a kind of "play-doh" look which seemed questionable. I'll pass on this one, I think, unless gameplay reports are good.

I believe that his point wasn't colors but Nintendo. To you it might be welcome, in my case anything Nintendo needs to be banned and forgotten.
Before you say it, I know, indies currently have better chances on switch than on steam, but one good step can't redeem all Nintendo's sins.
Yes, I'm evil and vurt gets + from me.

Hmm....well I played the last of the Star Control series (3?) and was a huge fan of it. It was mostly the writing and story that I loved though, as well as the feel of exploring the galaxy. The game mechanics were kind of forgettable.

So I guess the question is whether they managed to bring that back to the new game or not. I'll also probably check it out at some point, but September just has so many games I'm interested in.

I believe that his point wasn't colors but Nintendo. To you it might be welcome, in my case anything Nintendo needs to be banned and forgotten.
Before you say it, I know, indies currently have better chances on switch than on steam, but one good step can't redeem all Nintendo's sins.
Yes, I'm evil and vurt gets + from me.

I've actually always disliked the Nintento vibe as well, but that's not what I'm getting from this. Haven't played it yet though, so I might have to reconsider that stance when I do.

The small planets bug me a bit, too, but there's a LOT of them. If they were a more reasonable size, that would be too much exploring, even for me. So: jarring but I think I can deal with it.

Cute looking doesn't bug me, really. Overacting does. (I'm sitting just 3ft away, please don't exaggerate like I'm in a movie theater!)

Hopefully they will improve the planet exploration if the game sells well. It sounds like the game is actually doing fairly well from initial comments i've seen on steam. Don't own it - deep backlog but i think if it continues to improve i might bite.

It's a buy for me at some point, too, but not right now. Between Sword Coast Legends, Bard's Tale IV and Kingmaker, I'm set for about the next 2 years of gameplay. :D

I bought this last night and have now played about 2.5 hours. Going to play again tonight. The game is fun. There's nothing complex about it, at all. The graphics are mostly cartoonish, at least for the characters. They're OK, nothing great. But the game play is actually fun. I would recommend it. Just don't expect a serious and deep space RPG. It's not that, it's just sort of a light mostly laid back game experience with an interesting story and characters, with the occasional good humor. I've experienced a couple of laugh out loud moments already, no spoilers.

Back
Top Bottom