Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous - Review @ Gamerant

What do you mean army management screen is unaccessible? It can be accessed via both citadel table or in the world map - certainly a lot more accessible than Kingmaker kingdom management.

When you are in a given area, instead of the region map. I spend most time there, i rest in an area usually and I would like to move the army because the day passed, or check the crusade manage, but I cannot.

I do agrree that is better than kingdom management, but not by much. And the bugs are trivial, not gamebreaking at least.

Memory leakages and loading times for even the tiniest of transitions, adding up to horrendous stuttering even in high powered machines.

Not true. There is zero stuttering (9900k with a 2070 and of course SSD). The loading times are 10x better than in Kingmaker but still could be improved.

HoMM/KB minigame was only added to it.

I did enjoy the homm-style battles, until I faced unbalanced demon generals. Thanks god they made the game open to mods and that fixed the two most annoying things: the said generals and the random encounters every 5 seconds in the region map (I'm using crusade autowin and movement/evade random encounters).

PS: I have yet to find a mod that delays fatigue by 10 times - the third most annoying thing, which was exactly the same in KM.

I liked the crusade management, but compared to kingdom management it was a bit disappointing. It didn't have the complexity, I enjoyed so much in Kingmaker.

One thing I really missed was more flavor and detail to conquered lands. Regional specializations, variety in resources, opportunities and challenges. Some unique features to each fort. That sort of thing. By Chapter 5, I pretty much didn't care about any of my generic fortresses, whereas in Kingmaker I enjoyed developing every settlement.

The HoM&M gameplay addition was nice, but otherwise it felt like a step back.

Owlcat also made some silly mapping mistakes that irked me. For example, Keeper's Canyon is correctly placed (at the confluence of West Sellen and the river flowing near Drezen) and described in Chapter Two when your army defeats a demon fort there.

In Chapter Three, however, it is suddenly located as a buildable fort just south of Drezen (where in Chapter Two was just some unnamed fort). It may seem unimportant, but to me it breaks immersion.

Also I can't remember how many times my armies conquered Tower of Yath at different parts of the map in Chapter Five. Four times maybe?

Not true. There is zero stuttering (9900k with a 2070 and of course SSD). The loading times are 10x better than in Kingmaker but still could be improved.

I like how you came to tell me that something that is true is not true because you say so.

I don't know if it's better than Kingmaker, I couldn't stand that game long enough to get to the memory leaks that WotR has by the last third of the game. Every time you press the quicksave button you get 5 seconds of stutter and loading times get stuck longer and longer the later into the game you go, even if you methodically clean your saved game cache every dozen hours (because I''ve done so), amongst other things. I have a high-end rig, and so does my partner, who by the way, is Lead Core Systems Engineer in a AAA studio where one of his tasks is performance and optimisation, and I know firsthand that yes, what I said is true.

But thank you for your uninformed input.

To my perception, loading times are fine and didnt notice any stuttering while playing game. If loading times will get longer later, it wouldnt surprise me as Kingmaker had similar problem. But so far no real issues on this front.

The save/load bugs and stuttering has been a feature in almost every RPG made with the unity engine. The developer usually releases a patch to fix it eventually.

Anyway bragging about your high end PC doesn't matter as those PC's usually have more problems. I lost track of going through reports about this problem over the years.

My favorite is I have a GeForce RTX 3090 and the game lags while others who use a AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT have no problem. I like to call it shit out of luck it happens.

This is not a personal attack against anyone just an observation.:)

To my perception, loading times are fine and didnt notice any stuttering while playing game. If loading times will get longer later, it wouldnt surprise me as Kingmaker had similar problem. But so far no real issues on this front.

To be clear, they get worse in long sessions (ie if you play several hours in one sitting), which is where a memory manifests problems in the code, or loops that keep "leaking" data and clumping up processes. Shutting down the game and and starting it again dumps the cache and soft resets the problem. I say soft resets because part of the issue is related to the data that the game has already logged through your gameplay, so if you are in Act 5 and have 50 different savefiles, you will experience some issues even if you just restarted the game. If you are in Act 5 and have been playing for 8 hours in a row, it's literally unbearable (subjective view, it depends on where your tolerance thresholds lay).

In any case, as Couchpotato says, a good part of it is related to the way Unity is structured, although not entirely.

PS: It wasn't bragging, @Couchpotato;, it just felt important to my message that I am speaking from a qualified position. I don't think having a high-end rig is anything to brag about, anyone who cares enough can build one with just a McDonalds job. Having a private jet maybe would be worth bragging, but I don't even own a car so. :'(

In any case, as Couchpotato says, a good part of it is related to the way Unity is structured, although not entirely.
Yep it's how the engine loads the assets for each new area. Every-time you kill a monster or leave loot it stays in the memory, and bloats your saves the longer you play.

Some mods have been released to remove extra code/memory you don't need.:nod:

@Nereida wish I could afford a new 3090 but not with the insane market prices right now. As everything is is up-marked over three times the MSRP. It's freaking insane.

I can't even find a PS5 or Xbox Series X for retail price yet either.:(

Y
@Nereida wish I could afford a new 3090 but not with the insane market prices right now. As everything is is up-marked over three times the MSRP. It's freaking insane.

I can't even find a PS5 or Xbox Series X for retail price yet either.:(

I don't even have a 3090. the performance increase is not worth the cost, it's basically a scam for people who have too much money and don't know a lot about diminishing returns. Go for 3080 when you can, over here problem is more stock than price (and scalpers). ;)

Even AMD cards are hard to buy unless you pay scalper prices or join a site lottery. I never thought a day would come when you couldn't buy mid range parts cheaply.:(

I really enjoy the game, but having played several hours into 'Chapter 3', the bugs are becoming a challenge to overcome-- especially in the campaign and some of the more advanced feats. I think I'm going to hold off for a few more patches.

I still have not finished the Kingmaker even though it is probably the game I enjoyed the most last decade (set aside W3). It was just too bug-ridden at launch and the end-game became a drag with the kingdom management events and waiting (could have been a bug). I'll try to finish that game this autumn before trying this one. Is it wrong to vote this for GoTY without trying it? :p

Is it wrong to vote this for GoTY without trying it? :p

If you mean it, I don't think it's wrong as it does not affect anyone in any way. It just diminishes the credibility that GotY has in niche sites when voters even openly announce something like this, but it's not like the expectations were sky-high to start with.

If it is a joke - hahaha.

If it is a joke - hahaha.

It was a sarcastic note against the GoTY voting and how everyone is always GoTYing their games. I guess it's in human nature to rank things, however…Just felt like pointing a little sarcastic dagger that way.

Meaning gets often lost while writing. I use emojis to indicate when I am sarcastic/joking.

PS. Even funnier ranking: "Top 5 Best RPGs of September 2021" (google if you do not believe). That shit is just begging for clicks. Perhaps we should start giving GoTD (D = day) prices? (emoji)

It was a sarcastic note against the GoTY voting and how everyone is always GoTYing their games. I guess it's in human nature to rank things, however…Just felt like pointing a little sarcastic dagger that way.

Meaning gets often lost while writing. I use emojis to indicate when I am sarcastic/joking.

Text-based communication is so aggressive, isn't it? :)

I like how you came to tell me that something that is true is not true because you say so.

What I meant is that the cause is not the game per se, but something else in your hardware.
Edit: the memory leaks are real with UE, yes - the longest I have played in a session is about 6h I think. With other games i usually restart it when it starts to lag, as i have only 16GB of RAM.

What I meant is that the cause is not the game per se, but something else in your hardware.
Edit: the memory leaks are real with UE, yes - the longest I have played in a session is about 6h I think. With other games i usually restart it when it starts to lag, as i have only 16GB of RAM.

Gotcha. Came out as a bit sharp, but I come out as a bit sharp too, so no worries. ;)

It's most likely a Unity/C# issue as discussed in a split thread, common to a lot of Unity games (if not all) Not worth derailing again, there's a thread somewhere that explains in more detail.

Back
Top Bottom