What I've Been Watching: The Catch-All Film Thread - Page 312 - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » What I've Been Watching: The Catch-All Film Thread

Default What I've Been Watching: The Catch-All Film Thread

October 28th, 2021, 09:02
Dune Part 1(2021)

I haven't read the book and I'm one of those people who didn't particularly enjoy the 1984 movie beyond the casual fun factor, I just like the idea of a decent sci-fi movie. Saw it in IMAX.

I'm afraid it didn't grab me and my overall reaction was one of ok to middling to nah, wish I'd skipped it.

The visuals are great, in places. But then so it was with Transformers movies.

The slow and brooding atmosphere worked really well for the director when he made Bladerunner 2049 and slow and brooding is most of the concept of Bladerunner generally. However, trying to do the same thing with Dune simply doesn't work IMO.

And the reason for that is that it comes across to me as a relatively generic action movie, at least in this Part 1 of this film, no idea about the book. You have the hero, you have his family, who are presented as the good guys, and you have the ugly bad guy and his evil army who don't do much but be evil and try to kill the good guys.

There are a couple of plot nuances here and there which are nice, but nothing particularly in depth nor ground breaking and certainly not much to think about either during or after.

The portrayal of the bad guy in particular really took me out the movie as they literally copy and pasted Colonel Kurtz from Apocalypse Now. It wasn't even subtle, it was an in your face carbon copy, like an SNL sketch or something. And then they had the bad guy eat a meal noisily and grotesquely while giving out some dumb evil order and I nearly facepalmed with a big sigh in the theatre.

It's a really long film and it felt it, 2.5 hours, and most of it is long brooding atmospheric shots with most dialogue reduced to choppy one-liners and trailer quotes and necessary exposition. As a consequence, the acting seemed fine, but that's because there was nothing much to challenge anyone, which also left quite a few scenes feeling a bit wooden.

To be honest, I probably would have enjoyed it more if the film had zero dialogue entirely and instead they went full-on voice-over and just had someone like Judi Dench narrate the book while we watched stunning visuals.

The action scenes are very poor and underwhelming and mostly comprise a couple of dozen people fighting each other with short swords.

There is simply nothing of any great interest here for anyone who is either mildly well versed in movie watching or looking for something vaguely different, or even more of the same done better.

I can understand a Dune fan specifically wanting to love it and be in a mad panic to ensure Part 2 gets made, but that ain't me.

Oh yeah, characterisation is virtually non-existent either. It's one of those films where they give characters dramatic and emotional death scenes almost ignorant of the fact that the audience has only seen them for 5 minutes and gives zero fucks about them. And this happens… a lot.

Still going to give it 6/10 though, because the visuals are worth it not being complete shit-tier.

lackblogger

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 79 Post(s)

October 28th, 2021, 09:09
Originally Posted by Arhu View Post
Watched 2001: A Space Odyssey, for the first time. I thought I had watched it before but I think it was only 10 minutes of the intro when I was 10 and a few minutes around "I'm sorry Dave, I can't do that" a couple of years later, as well as lots and lots of pop culture references.

So… well, I'm glad I finally watched it. Aside from that I don't have much to say. Will probably read the book next.
I'm a massive Arthur C Clark fan and also a big Stanley Kubrick fan, but 2001 left me relatively cold and it's one of Clark's Sci-Fis I've never bothered reading (beyond the initial original short-story The Sentinel).

But then I was never alive and an adult in 1969 when space exploration was the hottest topic on the planet and any form of realistic space travel depicted in movies was a rare event.

As such, I too have never really bothered to ever talk about it much. If you're just starting on Clark and want some good Sci-Fi, I would recommend titles such as The City and the Stars or Childhood's End or even Rendezvous with Rama well before 2001.

There never was a book of 2001 before the movie, so it's not a matter of comparing the book to the movie anyway, it's a book of the movie, not the other way around.

lackblogger

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 79 Post(s)

October 28th, 2021, 10:13
Lamb

The latest horror film from A24. I'd been wanting to see it ever since I saw the trailer. It seemed like a classic mindfuck from a studio that's known for them.

It was interesting, and I think most people who enjoyed other A24 films will like it. That said, it didn't have the kind of impact I was hoping for. It's more weird than creepy, and there aren't any really jarring or memorable scenes in the manner of something like Hereditary.

If you were hyped after seeing the trailer like I was, try to temper your expectations a bit. I'll be curious to hear what others think about it.

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)

October 28th, 2021, 12:46
First to say I have no idea what is A24.

Second, I hate Hereditary and it is one of the worst movies I have ever seen - but it's not the movie's fault, I hate style over substance mundanities, many love it so they don't have to buy sleeping pills.

Third, it wasn't the trailer style that hyped me, it was the trailer substance. Noomi steals the screen.
If you don't know who that is, do please watch her in The Trip on Netflix.
She is the queen of playing totally different roles, if only she didn't accept some bad scripts (Child 44 for example).

-----

I don't know when will I find time for Lamb as next on my list are russian movies Brother and Brother 2, then a few (g)old HongKong movies from 80s.

After HK back to "mother russia" and their Cuckoo. Then towards east and korean Welcome to Dongmakgol - not a remake of the russian Cuckoo, but the story idea is very close so I want to compare the two.

-----

About Arthur Clark, he had ingenious ideas and some that weren't really good.
The problem I have with him, and not only him, Jodorowsky is the similar type of an author, he copypasted the same ideas accross his different books.
This doesn't make him bad, majority of authors have no good idea at all. It's just every next book I have read was not as exciting as his previous ones.
And you know I hate been there done that, it's grinding!
Regardless of what you think about him, on thing you cannot miss to notice. His books are all substance over style. That's what makes him one of the top authors ever, even if you are rereading same stuff in different wrapping.
--
Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 227 Post(s)

October 28th, 2021, 16:40
Originally Posted by lackblogger View Post
I'm a massive Arthur C Clark fan and also a big Stanley Kubrick fan, but 2001 left me relatively cold and it's one of Clark's Sci-Fis I've never bothered reading (beyond the initial original short-story The Sentinel).
I quite liked the story, but the movie's just too… slow at times. I'd consider the book a must-read if you're into SF though (the sequels less so). Maybe it helped that I read the book first, then saw the movie.

As such, I too have never really bothered to ever talk about it much. If you're just starting on Clark and want some good Sci-Fi, I would recommend titles such as The City and the Stars or Childhood's End or even Rendezvous with Rama well before 2001.
I'll second the recommendations for Childhood's End and Rendezvous with Rama.
--
Exitus acta probat.

wiretripped

Machiavellian
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

October 28th, 2021, 18:01
I'll agree that the book version of 2001 is better than the film, yet I've never found the movie dull or boring, and I think I've watched it at least on five occasions. The books get a bit blander after the first, yet I'd still say they're well worth reading.

Carnifex

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)

October 28th, 2021, 21:01
Originally Posted by joxer View Post
First to say I have no idea what is A24.

Second, I hate Hereditary and it is one of the worst movies I have ever seen - but it's not the movie's fault, I hate style over substance mundanities, many love it so they don't have to buy sleeping pills.

Third, it wasn't the trailer style that hyped me, it was the trailer substance. Noomi steals the screen.
If you don't know who that is, do please watch her in The Trip on Netflix.
She is the queen of playing totally different roles, if only she didn't accept some bad scripts (Child 44 for example).
https://a24films.com/

As for Noomi Rapace, she's ok in Lamb. The acting in the film didn't blow me away, but it's decent. I liked Noomi in Prometheus, but I'm not sure if I've her in anything else.

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

October 28th, 2021, 21:02
It's worth reading as a companion piece to the movie, because it explains some shit. The movie made me go "huh!?" in parts, and the book made me go "ohhh". It was written at the same time as the development of the movie, so it's not a traditional novelization or whatever.
I've read the three sequels and they're worth reading, though the last (3001) is rather insubstantial. Good to see the fate of key characters, though.

If you're just starting on Clark and want some good Sci-Fi, I would recommend titles such as The City and the Stars or Childhood's End or even Rendezvous with Rama well before 2001.
Amen to that. Three great books.
--
Proud leader of the Shit Games Liberation Front
All your shit games are belong to us

FIRST KNIGHT OF THE ORDER OF THE BLOB

Shagnak

SGLF Founder

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)

October 28th, 2021, 21:06
Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
https://a24films.com/

As for Noomi Rapace, she's ok in Lamb. The acting in the film didn't blow me away, but it's decent. I liked Noomi in Prometheus, but I'm not sure if I've her in anything else.
She shot to fame after her role in The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo series (the originals, not the US remake).

I'm very keen on seeing Lamb, but I imagine my options are limited.
--
Proud leader of the Shit Games Liberation Front
All your shit games are belong to us

FIRST KNIGHT OF THE ORDER OF THE BLOB

Shagnak

SGLF Founder

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)

October 28th, 2021, 21:22
Originally Posted by Shagnak View Post
My options were limited as well, but it's available if you know where to look.

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

October 28th, 2021, 23:14
Originally Posted by Shagnak View Post
She shot to fame after her role in The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo series (the originals, not the US remake).

The Millenium trilogy, yes.
You saying a remake was made? OMG…

Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
I liked Noomi in Prometheus, but I'm not sure if I've her in anything else.
Apart from the new The Trip movie just added to Netflix, some notable movies with her you might have watched are:
- criminally underrated psychological thriller/horror Babycall
- a crime drama with some actor from the overrated Sopranos who did a great job in The Drop
- ingenious childcontrol distopia What Happened to Monday?
--
Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 227 Post(s)

October 29th, 2021, 07:53
I saw a movie that's been on my recommended list for some time now. The White Ribbon by Michael Haneke. I haven't seen any of his other movies, but there's always a certain level of reverance when I hear his name mentioned. So I was suspecting I would either not like it, or find it pretentios or something.

Well, I was wrong. It's a pretty great movie, even though it's very troubling. It depicts a german village during the years just before start of the first World War. And it's intense, but still pretty believable.

Spoiler

Anyway, pretty great movie. I intend to look for his other recommened ones, like Funny Games, Amour and Cache, to name a few that I keep hearing recommened.

In the mean time, I've started a movie that my SO really wanted to see. The russian anti-war film, Come and See. I was skeptical to see it right after White Ribbon, since I'd gotten enough of a depressing viewing experience from that, but this is a different kind of depressing. We're only about 30 mins in, so we need to see the rest of it, but it seems promising. In an awful kind of way. I don't really like seeing children in a war movie, as I find that kind of manipulative, but the main child actor is pretty great. I guess so is his friend, the girl he meets along the way.

danutz_plusplus

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
+1:

October 29th, 2021, 07:57
Michael Haneke is well worth a watch, IMO.
--
"I cannot define the real problem, therefore I suspect there's no real problem, but I'm not sure there's no real problem."
Richard Feynman

Ripper

Ngikufisela iwela
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)

October 31st, 2021, 00:49
Watched The Paper Tigers: very enjoyable action/comedy that is witty, light-hearted, good story and does not take itself seriously. Was hooked from beginning to end - highly recommended.

SpoonFULL

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
+1:

October 31st, 2021, 01:32
I watched A Quiet Place 2 last night, after kinda liking the original A Quiet Place and finding the setting interesting, thought it was worth a shot for a Halloween date night with my partner.

I have to say, I would be hard-pressed to find a movie with more plot holes, narrative incongruencies, and generally irrational behaviour from every character, along with forced, unbelievable emotional moments that feel uncalled for and destroy the pace of the events, if there was any.

I really like Emily Blunt and Cillian Murphy, but geez, feels bad to see them in this complete mess of a film.

Do not recommend.
--
Who am I? I am the only way the Universe has to feel, to dream, and to be aware of itself.

Nereida

Fallen Aasimar

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)

October 31st, 2021, 03:40
Originally Posted by danutz_plusplus View Post
Anyway, pretty great movie. I intend to look for his other recommened ones, like Funny Games, Amour and Cache, to name a few that I keep hearing recommened.
Haneke's reputation is deserved, imo. I haven't seen Amour, but I liked the other two in your list quite a bit.

JFarrell71

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)

October 31st, 2021, 03:44
Originally Posted by Nereida View Post
I have to say, I would be hard-pressed to find a movie with more plot holes, narrative incongruencies, and generally irrational behaviour from every character, along with forced, unbelievable emotional moments that feel uncalled for and destroy the pace of the events, if there was any.
Completely agree. I hate-watched it after the first ~30 minutes. I like Emily Blunt too (her nail/bathtub scene is imo the best scene of the first film), and she was largely wasted.

Spoiler

JFarrell71

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)

October 31st, 2021, 06:57
"What were the overheard words by the Nazi child masturbating in the bathroom?

Second time watching Knives Out. Such a fun, well-written movie

Drithius

Laughing Gnome

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)

October 31st, 2021, 09:40
Wanting to see Doctor Sleep, I rewatched The Shinning. Pretty good, but somehow not that impressive anymore. The atmosphere is still spot on. But overall, I feel the movie is not as impressive as Dr. Strangelove or 2001 or Eyes Wide Shut.

danutz_plusplus

SasqWatch

October 31st, 2021, 11:32
I'm about halfway through Doctor Sleep, and I'm not really feeling it. It's decent. It's not bad at all, but I just don't find the idea all that inspiring or intriguing. Usually when a film is good you're hooked. I'll probably finish the last half later on, and I'll be surprised if I feel very differently.

danutz_plusplus

SasqWatch

RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » What I've Been Watching: The Catch-All Film Thread