Outcast - Free on GOG

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
As part of the 10th anniversary of THQ Nordic science fiction action RPG Outcast is available for free on GOG.

Outcast 1.1 has been recompiled from the original source code and improved to run smoothly on today's computers.The main improvements compared to the original version are: multithreaded voxel renderer for higher performances, software bilinear filtering on polygonal meshes, part of the HUD redesigned to match higher resolutions, new high-resolution sky paintings, new launcher, native support of xbox gamepad, user-friendly controller configuration, a lot of bugs fixed and improved stability.

Please note: Outcast Classic remains available for download as a bonus goodie.

As part of a covert experiment, the US military deployed a probe designed to prove the existence of a parallel universe hidden from our own. Although the probe successfully entered the alternate universe and reached a planet called Adelpha, its first crucial data transmission is mysteriously cut short.

The probe's unexpected demise triggers a disastrous chain of events resulting in the creation of a black hole, one that threatens to destroy the Earth. Unless the missing probe can somehow be found and repaired, planet Earth itself is doomed.

• Vast and diverse continents to explore, inhabited by thousands of living creatures
  • An excellent mix of action and adventure, well-designed combat and complete freedom of movement
  • One of the best games of 1999 with a memorable and believable storyline set in the not-so-distant future
More information.

What's that old saying about lipstick on a pig? It needs a bit more work than a recompile.

Yeah, I'd definitely recommend the remake to anyone who's interested in Outcast.

It's cool that they're giving it away, but I wouldn't play it now. The visuals and animation weren't great to begin with, and it hasn't aged well.

One of those ahead of it's time games.
Not sure what people are thinking, saying that it wasn't great or it didn't look good at original release...
It featured open world, cool music, ok story, dialogues and voice acting, interactive water… lots of new technology all 3 years before the heavy hiters the likes of Morrowind and GTA 3, golden age of gaming. If you compare it to games nowadays you are doing it wrong.

It was definitely considered revolutionary at the time. I tried a few times to get into it but I never could. It's been awhile but I think maybe the world was a little too open for me, I needed a bit more structure, at least back then. But there were certainly many who loved it.

It was definitely considered revolutionary at the time. I tried a few times to get into it but I never could. It's been awhile but I think maybe the world was a little too open for me, I needed a bit more structure, at least back then. But there were certainly many who loved it.

I agree that it was considered great at its time. I played and loved it at release and considered it very advanced.

Whether people believe that a game has aged well, is very subjective in my experience. For example I find games like Gothic 1, Baldurs Gate or Might and Magic 6 completely playable today.

For people with a similar mindset (newest graphics is not the main criterion for considering a game playable) it is very well worth a try!

I retried it some time ago and didn't finish it, but not because I found it "old" but only because I remembered too much of it and got bored for that reason. Otherwise I found it completely playable.

So whoever never tried it before can make no mistake by trying it. You can still try the remake if it feels old for you.

Setting, story and atmosphere were great in any case.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom