Stoneshard - Final Preparations - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Stoneshard - Final Preparations

Default Stoneshard - Final Preparations

November 17th, 2021, 18:30
Ink Stains Games share their progress, new features and their future plans as Stoneshard is about to release City of Gold.

Devlog: Final Preparations

Hello everyone!

The City of Gold update is soon to be released: the approximate time is 21:00 MSK, November 18th. Right now is a good moment to give a summary of the progress we've made, talk about the update's new features and what will be added to the game until the end of the year, and also discuss our plans for the future development of Stoneshard.

[…]

What's next?

We plan to release a series of patches and small updates over the course of December and January to polish the existing content and add some new stuff. This will mostly affect Brynn: we want to introduce interiors to every house and add at least half a dozen extra buildings. In February you can also expect a small surprise on the second anniversary of the game's Early Access release - but more about it later…

After we finish all that, we'll start working on the Rags to Riches update, which will flesh out the global map and introduce two new Ability Trees to the game - Armor and one of the magic schools (we'll share the details later).

Wizard's Fate, the update coming after Rags to Riches, will almost be entirely dedicated to magic - other than new magic schools, Wands, and Magic Mastery, we'll also implement new systems that will make playing as a sorcerer not as easy and serve as a foundation for the full-fledged character generator. […]
More information.

Redglyph

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Team

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)

November 17th, 2021, 18:48
I have this and played very little as I await release.
--
If you don't stand behind your troops, feel free to stand in front.

rune_74

SasqWatch
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
+1:

November 17th, 2021, 19:03
The Steam reviews have been trolled because of the delay, apparently, so they're not reliable. I quickly looked but I haven't found any recent review or first impressions.

Redglyph

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Team

November 17th, 2021, 22:43
I'm keen on this one, have been for quite a while, yet still waiting until it's actually fully released and patched a few dozen times.

Carnifex

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
+1:

November 18th, 2021, 00:21
Didn't realize this was still in EA all this time. For some reason I thought it had been released awhile ago.

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)

November 18th, 2021, 11:02
This is an interesting game. It's tough-as-nails and I say this as somebody who grew up on Wizardry, Bard's Tale and the like. It's sitting in my wishlist and I will probably grab it as soon as I get bored with the current crop of games I'm playing. (I should say, it was tough-as-nails to me when I played the free Prologue demo they have out. YMMV. Hell, MMMV now.)

It's a roguelike, and apparently most of the negative reviews are people just stating that the development on the game is slow.
--
My mother said that dreams aren't real. But nightmares are.

FurtiveNyctophile

Sentinel

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

November 18th, 2021, 17:10
Development is amazingly slow, considering they've had the mechanics in place for a couple years.
It's definitely a roguelike's roguelike. I was copying save files to dodge the permadeath.

My main gripe with roguelikes is that you see the early game a hundred times, the mid-game 5 or 6 times, and the end-game once, or zero times. This doesn't make a lot of sense to me, since I assume the developers put some effort into that endgame only a handful of players get to see.
--
--| sometimes game writer |--

screeg

floating head

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
+1:

November 18th, 2021, 19:17
I personally don't understand the appeal of roquelikes. I get that lots of people enjoy them but I just don't - and I've tried quite a few over the years. Dying/failing repeatedly via permadeath (or whatever mechanic) as part of the core game loop simply isn't fun for me. A large part of that is what screeg pointed out - a feeling of increased repetition. I know, most game designs are built on some degree of repetition - and I've loved many games who rely heavily on that… but those often mask that via a sense of player progress that I find roguelikes undermine.

Anyway, Stoneshard is a game I like the look of and I kind of enjoyed the original demo - but not certain I'll try it again with the emphasis on roguelike. If you don't mind roguelike mechanics then it looks like a pretty cool game.

SSIGuy

An Islander Returned

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)

November 18th, 2021, 20:21
Originally Posted by screeg View Post
Development is amazingly slow, considering they've had the mechanics in place for a couple years.
It's definitely a roguelike's roguelike. I was copying save files to dodge the permadeath.

My main gripe with roguelikes is that you see the early game a hundred times, the mid-game 5 or 6 times, and the end-game once, or zero times. This doesn't make a lot of sense to me, since I assume the developers put some effort into that endgame only a handful of players get to see.
Its called front loading.
First 1/3rd of games are better than remainder combined. Happens in a large percent of releases.
--
How about all games have a single huge lootbox you pay for up front that contains all the options, items, skins, unlocks etc? I'd pay for that!!

Wisdom

Torch & Pitchfork Vendor
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)

November 18th, 2021, 20:24
My mistake, EA is not finished just yet. They're releasing a big update, not the final game.
Approximately how long will this game be in Early Access?
"We expect to release the game in late 2022 / 2023 approximately."

Redglyph

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Team

November 18th, 2021, 22:58
So that says to me at least a minimum of another year, or perhaps a bit longer.

Carnifex

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)

November 19th, 2021, 08:36
Originally Posted by Carnifex View Post
So that says to me at least a minimum of another year, or perhaps a bit longer.
Yeah I would say you're probably not too far off. Though I believe their development has been fairly steady if not particularly fast. I have tried a new character class with every update and so far I've had a lot of fun though I haven't tried the newest update yet.

You think with all the games I have in my backlog that I would give this a pass until it's finished but there's just something about the gameplay Loop that just makes me come back every time they do an update.

Terry

Sentinel

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
+1:
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Stoneshard - Final Preparations