The "I Just Bought" thread - Page 52 - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » The "I Just Bought" thread

Default The "I Just Bought" thread

November 23rd, 2021, 18:58
I bought eight pair of thermal socks. Yeah, even though I live in Florida, it can get chilly here, and decent socks enable me to hang out on the porch even longer. Funny I never bought any while I lived in Canada, I had to move to Florida for the idea to strike me, lol.

Carnifex

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
+1:

November 24th, 2021, 00:05
Originally Posted by Pladio View Post
I just bought a new TV. Our old one is 5 years old and very slow to respond. It needs to be restarted every few days or doesn't connect to WiFi.

The TV I bought is 50” Q80A QLED 4K HDR Smart TV (2021). Got it for 650 poonds.
What do you reckon of it? I'd heard QLEDs can produce a very nice picture, but aren't so great for gaming, as the response time and their lighting tech produces ghosting.
--
"I cannot define the real problem, therefore I suspect there's no real problem, but I'm not sure there's no real problem."
Richard Feynman

Ripper

Ngikufisela iwela
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 110 Post(s)
+1:

November 24th, 2021, 00:20
Originally Posted by Ripper View Post
What do you reckon of it? I'd heard QLEDs can produce a very nice picture, but aren't so great for gaming, as the response time and their lighting tech produces ghosting.
It's being delivered tomorrow. I'll let you know. I won't be using it for gaming though.

Pladio

Guardian of Nonsense
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
+1:

November 24th, 2021, 00:33
Originally Posted by Pladio View Post
It's being delivered tomorrow. I'll let you know. I won't be using it for gaming though.
Ah, fair enough. I'd be looking at it mainly as a gaming display. I've got an old projector that I attached to the ceiling, and a pull-down screen. Even though the picture is not as good as modern display tech, we like the look and feel of that cinema-style effect.
--
"I cannot define the real problem, therefore I suspect there's no real problem, but I'm not sure there's no real problem."
Richard Feynman

Ripper

Ngikufisela iwela
Super Moderator

November 24th, 2021, 00:40
This is the tv I have and I use it for my display. For games I have no issues at all at 4K, but I don't play a lot of mp action games.
--
If you have no other choice but to kill, you have failed.
Ntwa kgolo ke ya molomo

Philistine

Keeper of the Watch
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
+1:

November 24th, 2021, 18:01
Ah, fair enough. I'd be looking at it mainly as a gaming display. I've got an old projector that I attached to the ceiling, and a pull-down screen. Even though the picture is not as good as modern display tech, we like the look and feel of that cinema-style effect.
It's too big for me for gaming. I play on my desk and the screen is right in front of me.

I just installed the tv, but I have had no time to actually watch it yet.
Oddly enough 7 inches bigger makes a big difference. It looks massive to me.

Pladio

Guardian of Nonsense
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)

November 30th, 2021, 15:16
A little worried about the chipset market, I decided to buy a computer on Cyber Monday. At this point in my career and life, I just want convenient. I don't super care about cost or name brands, just does it have enough good components. Ended up with:

Intel Core i9 10th Gen 10850K 3.6GHz Processor
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080Ti 12GB GDDR6X
32GB DDR4-3200 RAM
1TB Solid State Drive
Microsoft Windows 10 Pro
10/100/1000 Network
802.11ax Wireless
Bluetooth 5.1
The PowerSpec G469 desktop computer is a powerful gaming machine featuring the Intel Core i9-10850K unlocked processor cooled with a Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML240L 240mm RGB Water Cooling Kit mounted on an MSI Z490-A Pro system board. For gameplay domination it includes an NVidia GeForce RTX 3080Ti Video Card with 12GB of GDDR6X memory and 32GB DDR4 3200 RAM. The Windows 10 Professional Operating System is loaded on a 1TB NVMe SSD to provide an incredible experience playing the most demanding games in the market today!

It was $2799, which is normally ridiculous but was one of the cheaper options with the bells and whistles on the beasty. I got it from a local Micro Center. Place was packed last night.

https://www.microcenter.com/product/…ro?storeID=095
--
c-computer, r-role, p-playing, g-game, nut-extreme fan
=crpgnut or just
'nut @crpgnut
aka survivalnut

crpgnut

Survival Game Nut
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)

November 30th, 2021, 15:31
Yep, that should do it.
--
Richard Feynman

Ripper

Ngikufisela iwela
Super Moderator

November 30th, 2021, 15:31
Dayum! I wouldn't drop that on electronics. The last two desktops I bought were both around $1300.
--
Ntwa kgolo ke ya molomo

Philistine

Keeper of the Watch
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

November 30th, 2021, 16:52
I kept trying to order cyber monday deals and they were out of stock about 90% of the time. Leery of not having my toy when I want it. It was pricey, but that's not really a thing anymore. I probably should move up from a 27" monitor though, but I only sit 18" away.
--
=crpgnut or just
'nut @crpgnut
aka survivalnut

crpgnut

Survival Game Nut
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin Donor

December 1st, 2021, 00:51
Originally Posted by Philistine View Post
Dayum! I wouldn't drop that on electronics. The last two desktops I bought were both around $1300.
Funny, I was thinking that actually seems really cheap for everything he got. That GPU by itself was around 2K the last time I checked.

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)

December 1st, 2021, 01:13
It's kind of like the early days - the more powerful PCs you wanted for gaming were similar sorts of prices, and that's in old money.
--
Richard Feynman

Ripper

Ngikufisela iwela
Super Moderator

December 1st, 2021, 01:47
Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
Funny, I was thinking that actually seems really cheap for everything he got. That GPU by itself was around 2K the last time I checked.
I never buy current tech for the same reason I don't buy current games - prices drop too fast for me to justify spending all that. I happy being a few years behind, and saving a ton of money.
--
Ntwa kgolo ke ya molomo

Philistine

Keeper of the Watch
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

December 1st, 2021, 01:51
I never buy current tech for the same reason I don't buy current games - prices drop too fast for me to justify spending all that. I happy being a few years behind, and saving a ton of money.
I usually wait a little while myself, but that strategy backfired on me this year. It doesn't work when prices are going up instead of down.

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
+1:

December 1st, 2021, 21:00
Everyone is different. I'm much, much more time conscious these days than money conscious. I'd already wasted hours looking for a deal. I just wanted to end the search and quit wasting time.
--
=crpgnut or just
'nut @crpgnut
aka survivalnut

crpgnut

Survival Game Nut
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin Donor

+1:

December 12th, 2021, 14:44
We bought some games to get us through the X-Mas holidays.
660D457D-386E-48B1-8C3D-6DF24332B16D.jpg
7Wonders - Duel, Pandemic and Gloomhaven (which is a very big heavy box)
--
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. Douglas Adams
There are no facts, only interpretations. Nietzsche
Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go. Oscar Wilde

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
RPGWatch Team

Mentioned: 173 Post(s)
+1:

December 12th, 2021, 18:41
I've some mates back in Canada that absolutely adore Gloomhaven, I'll be keen to read your thoughts on it! And the rest of the games also. -)

Carnifex

SasqWatch

December 13th, 2021, 11:27
I got me a few christmas presents already :

- Box set of Ammonia Avenue of The Alan Parsons Project, of which I've been a fan since the 80s
- the newest Abba album ( and one for my mother, my parents infused me with that sound when I was a kid ! )
- "Star Wars Life Day Treasury", I hope it'll be the very different kind of stories of what I normally read and play from this setting …
--
"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)

December 13th, 2021, 16:06
As a follow-up to my big purchase: I'm selling my old iBuyPower rig with a 1080 card for $1050. That'll pay about a 1/3 of the cost of the new beasty, so not horrible. I don't need two mini-furnaces in the same room. Two computers running a total of 150C can heat up my whole office and then some. People are paying a premium for used computers nowadays. I sold a laptop for $100 less than I paid for it and it's 5 years old.
--
=crpgnut or just
'nut @crpgnut
aka survivalnut

crpgnut

Survival Game Nut
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin Donor

December 13th, 2021, 18:57
This morning I received a late birthday gift, a jersey from the school that I got my masters' degree from last month! I'm too cheap to buy such a thing myself, yet I look forward to putting it on the next time I feel a chill. Go Yellowjackets! -p

Carnifex

SasqWatch

+1:
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » The "I Just Bought" thread