The TV Series discussion thread - Page 317 - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » The TV Series discussion thread

Default The TV Series discussion thread

November 30th, 2021, 16:45
Originally Posted by Pladio View Post
Really enjoyed this show. I even think they did as good as possible with the ending personally.
Does that mean the ending is different from the book?
--
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. Douglas Adams
There are no facts, only interpretations. Nietzsche
Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go. Oscar Wilde

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
RPGWatch Team

Mentioned: 175 Post(s)

November 30th, 2021, 17:00
Originally Posted by Myrthos View Post
Just finished season 1 of The Man in the High Castle. That was actually pretty good, looking forward to the next season.
They did an awesome job! Even more so when you consider the short book it's based on (259 pages), they made up enough material for 4 seasons by extending the story, keeping it coherent and remaining true to the book.

EDIT: yes, endings are different

Redglyph

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Team

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)

November 30th, 2021, 18:35
The Man in the High Castle was really good, quite possibly the favourite of the shows I've watched this year. Each series simply got better and better, and the finale was pretty solid. I just finished the first series of Mrs. Maisel so now I'm going back to complete the third series of Mayans, which I'd stopped at episode four some months ago, and I don't recall why.

Carnifex

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)

December 1st, 2021, 01:14
Does that mean the ending is different from the book?
I didn't read the book.

Pladio

Guardian of Nonsense
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin Donor

December 1st, 2021, 06:35
I got back to Mr Robot last night and watched the first three episodes of Season 4. I had only seen the first episode previously. It looks like Elliot is even more screwed up than I thought.

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)

December 1st, 2021, 12:34
Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
I got back to Mr Robot last night and watched the first three episodes of Season 4. I had only seen the first episode previously. It looks like Elliot is even more screwed up than I thought.
Yeah, the 4th season really tackles the core of the problem. IMO it's not the easiest season to watch.

Redglyph

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Team

December 1st, 2021, 13:01
I watched Shadow and Bone. Another fantasy series which is entertaining but not a masterpiece in any way.

If you want some fun, certainly worth a watch.

The ending of season 1 is a bit shitty though. But most of the season is alright.

Pladio

Guardian of Nonsense
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin Donor

December 1st, 2021, 14:41
I watched that as well a while ago and it was fun enough to keep on watching it, but it is indeed far from a masterpiece.

I'm not sure though their is enough interesting material left for another season to make it worth watching it.
--
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. Douglas Adams
There are no facts, only interpretations. Nietzsche
Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go. Oscar Wilde

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
RPGWatch Team

Mentioned: 175 Post(s)

December 1st, 2021, 14:48
I watched that as well a while ago and it was fun enough to keep on watching it, but it is indeed far from a masterpiece.

I'm not sure though their is enough interesting material left for another season to make it worth watching it.
Apparently there are a few books out.

Pladio

Guardian of Nonsense
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin Donor

December 1st, 2021, 18:39
Yeah, Elliott is super messed up, you only find out just how much in the very last episodes of Mr. Robot. I usually don't care for mental devices being the centerpiece of telly/film plots, yet this one is done so well and cleverly that I quite enjoyed re-watching the series. I'd urge any one that enjoys the genre to take a peek.

Carnifex

SasqWatch

December 1st, 2021, 19:34
I'm one episode away from completing season 4 of Better Call Saul. There's still season 5 and I saw there was a 6th planned for 2022.

I found it OK at the beginning but it's growing on me. I like it even more for showing slices of other lives like Ehrmantraut's and Varga's, for the sake of variety.

Redglyph

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Team

December 1st, 2021, 22:55
Absolutely, that's one of the strengths of the stellar showed called Better Call Saul. It starts off being rather focused on Jimmy, then it really broadens out and ropes you in all the way with the ensemble getting their own stories.

Carnifex

SasqWatch

December 2nd, 2021, 00:13
Originally Posted by Redglyph View Post
Yeah, the 4th season really tackles the core of the problem. IMO it's not the easiest season to watch.
I'm 6 episodes in now. I liked the first three, but I thought the fourth episode where they were lost in the woods was pretty boring.

5 & 6 were good. I'm already getting tired of Vera though.

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

December 2nd, 2021, 18:31
Since it came up a few messages back in this thread, I found myself re-watching Trapped the past few nights. Ahhh, surrounded by wintery-goodness without having to actually feel it, now that's suspending disbelief! -)

Carnifex

SasqWatch

December 3rd, 2021, 18:34
Tin Star is getting way too morbid for me to enjoy, I love Roth to death yet the character he portrays seems to have no redeemable qualities whatsoever. I might take in another episode then call it quits for shows that are more entertaining to watch.

Carnifex

SasqWatch

December 4th, 2021, 00:38
I finished Mr Robot last night.

Season 4 was ok, but I found some of the episodes underwhelming, and the finale didn't blow me away. I definitely liked Season 3 more.

Overall, it was good. I wouldn't put it in my very top tier, but I would definitely recommend it to others.

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

December 4th, 2021, 04:25
Yeah I'm not a fan of the mental issues being the end-all of Mr. Robot, and the fourth series is a tad lackluster. The entire run of the show, however, is really good and something I know I'll be re-watching again the future. I might skip a few episodes in the final series, though. =p

Carnifex

SasqWatch

December 4th, 2021, 11:14
I loved season 4, as I'm sure I said in the past. Very heavy and impactful for the main character especially.
@JDR13: about the ending, didn't blow you away as in you predicted it? Or the idea simply didn't jell with you? Or you didn't like the way they handled it? Personally, I loved the ending, and caught me completely by surprise.
Spoiler

I'm also surprised you didn't like the episode where they wander through the woods. I love those kinds of character building episodes, where we see the Elliot and Tyrell in an unusual setting.

Spoiler

danutz_plusplus

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)

December 4th, 2021, 11:49
Originally Posted by danutz_plusplus View Post
I loved season 4, as I'm sure I said in the past. Very heavy and impactful for the main character especially.
@JDR13: about the ending, didn't blow you away as in you predicted it? Or the idea simply didn't jell with you? Or you didn't like the way they handled it? Personally, I loved the ending, and caught me completely by surprise.
Spoiler
There wasn't anything confusing about it. I just wasn't overly impressed with the last 2 episodes being all about that. I would liked to have seen some more exposition regarding Whiterose and her machine.

Originally Posted by danutz_plusplus View Post
I'm also surprised you didn't like the episode where they wander through the woods. I love those kinds of character building episodes, where we see the Elliot and Tyrell in an unusual setting.

Spoiler
Yeah, that one just didn't do much for me. Also,
Spoiler – ….

It wasn't nearly as bad as episode 10 though. The one that was all about Darlene and Dominique going to the airport. That one was fucking terrible.

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

December 4th, 2021, 12:03
Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
It wasn't nearly as bad as episode 10 though. The one that was all about Darlene and Dominique going to the airport. That one was fucking terrible.
Yeah, I have no idea what they were thinking with those Darlene/Dominique scenes. Dominique was already probably my least favorite character. But 95% of the airport scene felt just like filling time. And the cringe pop music they used at a certain point. The only good moments were seeing Irving again, for a short chat, and Leon.

That episode should've been heavily edited and all of those scenes probably removed or replaced with something better.

It's very jarring, that episode, as I think it's the only one I really have a serious issue with. It's very jarring to have that in a sea of mostly excellent episodes.

danutz_plusplus

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » The TV Series discussion thread