Coronavirus (No Politics) - Page 52 - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » Coronavirus (No Politics)

Default Coronavirus (No Politics)

November 23rd, 2021, 13:21
Originally Posted by danutz_plusplus View Post
I got the third jab, since, why the fuck not. I've already jumped on this rollercoaster.

And man, the good news is I still got no symptoms this time either. But my lymph node near my armpit got swollen, as apparently it sometimes does when the body is fighting infection. But it's frikkin awful. I hope it goes away fast.
Sounds bad - hopefully it will not last long. My wife got the booster yesterday. 19 hours and no reaction so far. My turn in a couple of weeks.

SleepingDog

Watchdog

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

Default Silver lining?

November 23rd, 2021, 13:30
In Australia the number of recorded measles cases in 2021 is zero, so far, compared with 25 in 2020 and 284 in 2019. It appears that the majority of cases can be traced back to overseas visits. Other countries also show similar patterns (England 2 in 2021 and 797 in 2019; USA 45 in 2021 and 1282 in 2019).

The cause of the reduction is believed to be reduced travel and limited social contact. However the pandemic has interrupted the measles vaccination program with an estimated 27 million children missing their jab. You know what happens next. Measles outbreak have been reported in places like Pakistan, Nigeria, India, Afghanistan, Somalia and the Democratic Republic of the Congo amongst others. The Western world next?

I should say 94% of Australian children are vaccinated against measles so perhaps it will not be too bad.

SleepingDog

Watchdog

Default skin patch for mice with a needle phobia

November 23rd, 2021, 13:44
Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
Pfizer's new anti-Covid pill is apparently pretty effective.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic…strong-results

My shares of Pfizer stock are doing quite well this morning.
In Australia some recent tests on mice are showing promising results. It is a skin patch and it is seen as an alternative to jabs. I gather that the skin patch has 5000 spikes, each a quarter of a mm long, coated with dried vaccine. An applicator presses them against the skin. The theory is that the skin has lots of immune cells and it gives a stronger immune response.

It can be stored at room temperature and it can be self administered. Useful in countries without lots of fridges and/or medical staff.

The mice treated with the patch created more coronavirus antibodies that those who got the jab. A single dose seemed enough.

Human trials in 2022. Makes me wonder if this technique could be used for other vaccines.

SleepingDog

Watchdog

+1:

November 27th, 2021, 02:44
Looks like another mutation on the way: https://apnews.com/article/coronavir…3bb28d6511ecad

LONDON (AP) — WHAT IS THIS NEW COVID-19 VARIANT IN SOUTH AFRICA?

South African scientists identified a new version of the coronavirus this week that they say is behind a recent spike in COVID-19 infections in Gauteng, the country’s most populous province. It’s unclear where the new variant actually arose, but it was first detected by scientists in South Africa and has now been seen in travelers to Belgium, Botswana, Hong Kong and Israel.

Health Minister Joe Phaahla said the variant was linked to an “exponential rise” of cases in the last few days, although experts are still trying to determine if the new variant is actually responsible.

From just over 200 new confirmed cases per day in recent weeks, South Africa saw the number of new daily cases rocket to 2,465 on Thursday. Struggling to explain the sudden rise in cases, scientists studied virus samples from the outbreak and discovered the new variant.
--
Character is centrality, the impossibility of being displaced or overset. - Ralph Waldo Emerson

wolfgrimdark

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 67 Post(s)

November 27th, 2021, 04:36
It seems rather clear to me that there's a connection between the new strain and the explosion of infectious cases. I'll be amazed if this new strain hasn't penetrated at least three other continents within a week.

Carnifex

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)

November 27th, 2021, 05:52
The news hit the stock market pretty hard. Worst day of this year so far. I hope it doesn't start another cascade like the one we had in March last year.

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)

November 29th, 2021, 16:47
What does appearance of Omicron variant mean for the double-vaccinated?

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20…-double-jabbed
--
"I cannot define the real problem, therefore I suspect there's no real problem, but I'm not sure there's no real problem."
Richard Feynman

Ripper

Ngikufisela iwela
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 110 Post(s)

November 29th, 2021, 18:33
After our huge family reunion last month, one of my sisters and her husband contracted covid. Both tested positive, she (so far) has only gotten a mild dose, however her husband was admitted to hospital Friday night and is now in the ICU. It's the first major impact this virus has had on my family, considering we're ten siblings, I guess we've been lucky up to this point.

Carnifex

SasqWatch

November 30th, 2021, 12:02
Originally Posted by Ripper View Post
What does appearance of Omicron variant mean for the double-vaccinated?

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20…-double-jabbed
Interesting. I also read an article by the BBC where they said that the situation is of the virus using a disguise (the mutations) to fool the anti-bodies and T-cells. Their advice was to get your booster since this effectively puts more boots on the ground which could spot the unwanted invader. (Not sure how this works.)

The Spectator was critical of a recent study on how effective masks are. I am not sure that they proved that masks where ineffective just that their impact is so intertwined with other behaviour (social distancing, hand washing, vaccinations) that the claimed benefits may be overstated.

What I got from it was that you need to understand the study methodology and that media headlines are very dodgy some of the time. The problem is if you believe nothing then you may be gambling your health against media sources being wrong.

Carnifex - hope he makes a good recovery. I am sure others have told you but the procedures and treatment that our medical teams have found since the very first cases of covid mean that we should remain hopeful.

SleepingDog

Watchdog

December 1st, 2021, 14:27
Originally Posted by Carnifex View Post
After our huge family reunion last month, one of my sisters and her husband contracted covid. Both tested positive, she (so far) has only gotten a mild dose, however her husband was admitted to hospital Friday night and is now in the ICU. It's the first major impact this virus has had on my family, considering we're ten siblings, I guess we've been lucky up to this point.
How's things with your family Carnifex? I was thinking of you when I had my booster yesterday.

We're playing it cautious, my husband has multiple sclerosis and any flu/infection/temperature really knocks him for six and he never gets back to where he was.

Qayto

Watchdog

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

December 1st, 2021, 18:35
My sister tested clear yesterday, which was great news, her husband remains in hospital for now, with serious respiratory issues. This update has lit a fire under the rest of us, half so far have gotten the third booster shot and others plan to do so. Do what you can to protect yourself, folks.

Carnifex

SasqWatch

December 2nd, 2021, 20:37
Originally Posted by Carnifex View Post
My sister tested clear yesterday, which was great news, her husband remains in hospital for now, with serious respiratory issues. This update has lit a fire under the rest of us, half so far have gotten the third booster shot and others plan to do so. Do what you can to protect yourself, folks.
Sorry to hear about your family's woes. I hope everything turns out as well as it can.

SveNitoR

Keeper of the Watch

December 2nd, 2021, 20:45
One month ago we started getting back to some kind of normalcy in Sweden. Now it will be back to restrictions again from next week, probably. I'm so tired of this. I understand why, but it still sucks.

My wife's sister has a small wedding in two weeks and I hope we can all go there so that it doesn't mess up their planning. Might seem a small price to pay for people not dying, but life just started getting back to semi-normal and just… Ugh.

SveNitoR

Keeper of the Watch

December 2nd, 2021, 21:31
Originally Posted by SveNitoR View Post
One month ago we started getting back to some kind of normalcy in Sweden. Now it will be back to restrictions again from next week, probably. I'm so tired of this. I understand why, but it still sucks.

My wife's sister has a small wedding in two weeks and I hope we can all go there so that it doesn't mess up their planning. Might seem a small price to pay for people not dying, but life just started getting back to semi-normal and justā€¦ Ugh.
It's very frustrating. I'm not sure what's worse at this point.. the virus itself or the repeated lockdowns and disruption of the supply chain.

If there's yet another variation after Omicron, I might be tempted to think that my more conspiracy-prone friends are on to something.

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)

December 2nd, 2021, 23:31
Sadly, I expect at least another, possibly even more than one, more variants in the near future. A very similar tale to the one that happened to the world-wide flu that took place a century ago, we're likely to see a few more mutant strains before any real progress takes hold.

Carnifex

SasqWatch

December 3rd, 2021, 00:23
I think there's a pretty strong view that it will become endemic, and we'll simply have to learn to live with it. I think it will become ever clearer that vaccination is the only way to get on top of it, probably with seasonal updated boosters, much like the flu. The big problem, of course, is that while it evolves in huge unvaccinated populations, there's a greater risk it will produce a far more lethal variant that is much harder to cope with.
--
"I cannot define the real problem, therefore I suspect there's no real problem, but I'm not sure there's no real problem."
Richard Feynman

Ripper

Ngikufisela iwela
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 110 Post(s)

December 3rd, 2021, 07:18
Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
It's very frustrating. I'm not sure what's worse at this point.. the virus itself or the repeated lockdowns and disruption of the supply chain.

If there's yet another variation after Omicron, I might be tempted to think that my more conspiracy-prone friends are on to something.
Lol! well viruses always mutate, but this one spreads to so many people it has a higher chance of mutating quickly. And it's a celebrity so the media coverage makes sure everyone knows of new major mutations, unlike other viruses.

I can't even imagine what it must be like with severe lock downs. Here in Sweden they've taken a very light approach, but it's still a hassle and annoyance.

SveNitoR

Keeper of the Watch

December 3rd, 2021, 07:30
Originally Posted by Ripper View Post
I think there's a pretty strong view that it will become endemic, and we'll simply have to learn to live with it. I think it will become ever clearer that vaccination is the only way to get on top of it, probably with seasonal updated boosters, much like the flu. The big problem, of course, is that while it evolves in huge unvaccinated populations, there's a greater risk it will produce a far more lethal variant that is much harder to cope with.
I heard a few scientists comment very early in the pandemic that it was almost certain it would become endemic, due to vaccines being far away and that the safety measures will only buy so much time.

In Sweden I've heard experts talk about it the same way you do. Even in extreme cases, like Singapore, where they've been able to control the spread more effectively (easier to do extreme lockdown in a small, one party, high tech surveillance state), they are talking about living with covid now.

I'm pretty sure I heard somewhere, that a pandemic like this takes about five years (without vaccines) before enough people have gotten it that it spreads more like a "normal" virus. You know if that's the case?

SveNitoR

Keeper of the Watch

December 3rd, 2021, 14:16
It is a no politics thread about Corona, although there are still some posts venturing into a grey area, I deleted one that went too far in my opinion and then had to delete the quoted ones as well and the related ones. Could have moved them, but I couldn't be bothered. Feel free to restart it in the P&R forum if you so wish.
--
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. Douglas Adams
There are no facts, only interpretations. Nietzsche
Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go. Oscar Wilde

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
RPGWatch Team

Mentioned: 173 Post(s)
+1:

December 3rd, 2021, 15:51
Originally Posted by SveNitoR View Post
I heard a few scientists comment very early in the pandemic that it was almost certain it would become endemic, due to vaccines being far away and that the safety measures will only buy so much time.
An important thing to remember is that this virus is pretty devastating right now because it is so novel - most people are as defenceless right now as the native Americans were against the various germs that the Europeans imported. The principal point of the vaccines is to close that gap in the arms race and soften the blow when our bodies first encounter the virus (which they inevitably will).

Once it's gone endemic, most people will probably encounter it multiple times from infancy, and nature will thus provide frequent boosters, and to a trained immune system, it probably really won't be much more menacing than one of the nastier strains of the seasonal flu - which is to say, a socially acceptable fatality rate. So that's the end game I'm waiting for. Plus, it's unlikely that it would evolve into something significantly more lethal, because killing off its hosts too quickly and violently won't help a new strain spread; better to have them walk around for a full two weeks sneezing and coughing on everyone elseā€¦

Atrachasis

Watchdog

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » Coronavirus (No Politics)