Lost Ark - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Games » General MMORPG » Lost Ark

Default Lost Ark

December 3rd, 2021, 04:41
Lost Ark?

It's a F2P Korean isometric MMORPG that started development around 10 years ago, launched in Korea in 2018 and recently got picked up by Amazon to be published in NA/EU regions for an early 2022 release.

It's up on Steam at the moment with 96% positive reviews.

Looks pretty good in the gameplay videos.

Anyone heard of this game?

SirJames

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)

December 3rd, 2021, 18:41
I had some mates that I played EQ2 with that fell in love with this game, yet I never tried it for myself. They raved about it often in the discord channel, that's literally the extent of my knowledge.

Carnifex

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)

December 5th, 2021, 01:32
Originally Posted by Carnifex View Post
I had some mates that I played EQ2 with that fell in love with this game, yet I never tried it for myself. They raved about it often in the discord channel, that's literally the extent of my knowledge.
Yeah, I keep hearing stuff like this! People seem to really like it!

I suppose those mates went to the effort of setting up a VPN to play in Russia and modding the game to have a rough English translation. I couldn't be bothered with any of that and least of all the ping to Russia but after a fair bit of poking around, reading impressions, watching videos, the game is definitely on my radar.

I have a feeling a lot of people won't get past "free2play Korean MMORPG". As someone who's played a lot of MMOs since Ultima Online or even before that on BBS games, Korean cookie-cutter MMO was a huge red-flag and grounds for instant dismissal. But this game looks like some legit effort has gone into it. It's not using that generic MMO engine so many of the f2p asian mmos used to be made with, whatever that was called. It's actually made with Unreal 3 engine and uses dx9. (But I don't think it will run on WinXP )

Anyway, this thread feels a bit naked without some sort of picture or video link so I might post one I liked from a youtuber that runs you through the fourth dungeon. I've always liked the instanced dungeons best in MMOs. Four dungeons by level 19 is pretty good.
loading…

Skip in about 4 minutes.

SirJames

SasqWatch

December 6th, 2021, 21:42
Maybe I'm missing something, but It looks like it's basically just MMO Diablo to me.

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)

December 9th, 2021, 02:06
Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
Maybe I'm missing something, but It looks like it's basically just MMO Diablo to me.
Yeah, basically. But you're probably missing details and/or background info.

I like lots of classes! It'll launch with 15 classes in NA but there's already 21 in KR version. Diablo3 has, what, 6 with expansion?

I like lots of endgame content! For endgame content Diablo3 started with nothing then added Rift Keys in the expansion. Lost Ark will have Chaos Dungeons, similar to Rift Keys, plus a bunch of other stuff. Various dungeons and raids to compete in the MMO genre. Then also Guardian Raids which are similar to Monster Hunter battles, complete with annoying running away bosses. World bosses and events and other stuff.

There's also other pretty standard MMO stuff like your gathering/crafting, decorating your player house, sailing, etc.

I think originally it was just trying to be a better Diablo game but it turned into an MMO by adding more and more features to be competitive with all other online RPGs.

Let's have a look at the original 2014 announcement video.
loading…

I'm just hyped I'll actually get to give it a play. It looked like I never would with all the region lock and stuff. The announcement that Australia will be allowed to play on NA was very exciting news to me.

SirJames

SasqWatch

January 9th, 2022, 20:21
I found a whole section of new guides make for the NA release

Lost Ark Guides

scurex

Traveler

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

January 14th, 2022, 15:28
Originally Posted by scurex View Post
I found a whole section of new guides make for the NA release

Lost Ark Guides
Good find! Lots of helpful guides there, thanks!

I knew someone out there had to be interested in this game. It looks full of potential. Can't wait to play it in 4 weeks!!

SirJames

SasqWatch

RPGWatch Forums » Games » General MMORPG » Lost Ark