The TV Series discussion thread - Page 318 - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » The TV Series discussion thread

Default The TV Series discussion thread

December 4th, 2021, 12:30
Originally Posted by danutz_plusplus View Post
Yeah, I have no idea what they were thinking with those Darlene/Dominique scenes. Dominique was already probably my least favorite character. But 95% of the airport scene felt just like filling time. And the cringe pop music they used at a certain point. The only good moments were seeing Irving again, for a short chat, and Leon.

That episode should've been heavily edited and all of those scenes probably removed or replaced with something better.

It's very jarring, that episode, as I think it's the only one I really have a serious issue with. It's very jarring to have that in a sea of mostly excellent episodes.
Dominique was probably my least favorite as well. I didn't like the character or the actress. She has zero on-screen charisma.

You asked me about episode 7.

Spoiler – …..

Season 3 had more scenes that were memorable to me.
Spoiler – ….
Last edited by JDR13; December 4th, 2021 at 12:51. Reason: Added spoiler tags

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)

December 4th, 2021, 12:32
I'd recommend putting most of the above in a spoiler tag.

danutz_plusplus

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)

December 4th, 2021, 12:38
Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
I finished Mr Robot last night.

Season 4 was ok, but I found some of the episodes underwhelming, and the finale didn't blow me away. I definitely liked Season 3 more.

Overall, it was good. I wouldn't put it in my very top tier, but I would definitely recommend it to others.
Glad you liked the series!

I'm not sure about the finale, I'm not fond of it but maybe there was no other proper way to end. I certainly didn't like the "dream" part of season 4 too much. I understand it's necessary to connect the dots and reach a closure, but I found it ridiculous and definitely too long.

I felt the Darlene/Dominique was unnecessary either, but perhaps it leaves an open end for those characters. The alternative may have felt too vanilla "happy ending" for them.

Redglyph

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Team

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)

December 4th, 2021, 12:45
I'm surprise so few of the people here loved the ending. I'm in the camp where I heard plenty of chatter about the ending, without having anything spoiled. I just knew there was a lot of positive buzz around it. So, I had a worry that I would be disappointed. So I think I went in expecting a lot. And I was still shocked how much I loved it, and it managed to surprise me.

danutz_plusplus

SasqWatch

December 4th, 2021, 12:51
Originally Posted by khaight View Post
I am a moderate fan of the Wheel of Time book series. I watched the first couple of episodes of the show and part of the third. It didn't grip me in the "I must watch all of this immediately" way that, say, Invincible did, but I didn't bounce off either. I think it has some promise depending on how it develops.

The most annoying change I've noticed so far is their turning Egwene into a fourth ta'veren. It looks like an attempt to make her character 'special' along with the three boys, but one of the things I really appreciated about her in the books was the way she achieved world-changing stature *without* having a destiny backing her up. She did it herself. Making her ta'veren sends exactly the wrong message.

Overall I'd call it three out of five. I'm not hooked, but I'll keep watching to see how it plays out.
NB. I am terrible with names.

Oh that is quite sad. I like the "broken character" starts. By making her that, it makes her not so "broken" in terms of her potential at least. My favourite characters so far are the thief and the wolf guy. The red head guy being the worst character so far. I mean "oblivious idiot" is such a boring character type.

OverIt

Watcher

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

December 4th, 2021, 12:59
I was looking for a certain clip on YouTube, and I came across this.

loading…

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

December 4th, 2021, 13:05
Pretty funny. Especially loved the nod to how Esmail frames the actors, usually at the edge of the frame. Also loved that about Mr. Robot.

Also, not sure if we talked about this, but how did you feel about the music of Mr. Robot? I loved it all throughout.

danutz_plusplus

SasqWatch

December 4th, 2021, 13:30
Originally Posted by danutz_plusplus View Post
Also, not sure if we talked about this, but how did you feel about the music of Mr. Robot? I loved it all throughout.
For my part, I listen to it now and then and I like most of it.

It's biased, I'm almost sure that loving the series has something to do with it, because it wasn't the case when I listened to a few albums before watching it. Maybe a bit of an acquired taste too.

PS: we're on "Mr Robot" channel once more, should have created this thread while it was not too late

Redglyph

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Team

December 4th, 2021, 13:55
Ok, back to talking about other shows.

Foundation vs Wheel of Time. That's the next decision I need to make. I haven't read either series of books, so I'm going in blind regardless of which one I choose.

I watched the the trailers for both, and Foundation seems a little more interesting, and better produced, to me.

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

December 4th, 2021, 14:07
Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
Ok, back to talking about other shows.

Foundation vs Wheel of Time. That's the next decision I need to make. I haven't read either series of books, so I'm going in blind regardless of which one I choose.

I watched the the trailers for both, and Foundation seems a little more interesting, and better produced, to me.
Watch both Well, at least you have a complete first season with Foundation.

I was surprised how divided we all were on The Wheel of Time, some obviously didn't like it at all. I watched the two last episodes yesterday and I'm still liking it very much. I think I even prefer TWoT to Foundation.

Redglyph

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Team

December 4th, 2021, 14:13
Originally Posted by Redglyph View Post
Watch both Well, at least you have a complete first season with Foundation.

I was surprised how divided we all were on The Wheel of Time, some obviously didn't like it at all. I watched the two last episodes yesterday and I'm still liking it very much. I think I even prefer TWoT to Foundation.
Ah ok. I hadn't realized that TWoT isn't fully released yet. I see now that only 5 episodes have been aired so far. I guess that makes my decision a little easier.

I also still want to watch the final season of TWD when I can find the time. Well, I don't really want to, but I feel compelled to see it through since I already invested so much time in the series.

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

December 4th, 2021, 14:32
I have the same with TWD. On one hand I am thinking why should I bother with it, on the other hand I managed to follow it for 10 season, so what is one more season compared to that. Maybe next year when it is complete.
--
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. Douglas Adams
There are no facts, only interpretations. Nietzsche
Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go. Oscar Wilde

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
RPGWatch Team

Mentioned: 173 Post(s)

December 4th, 2021, 15:26
I think I stopped watching TWD after 4 or 5 seasons. It was novel and interesting to see the development of people in this new world at first, but I wasn't hooked enough to keep watching.

Redglyph

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Team

December 4th, 2021, 15:47
Saw the first episode of the Wheel of Time the other day, don't think I'll watch the rest of the series. It didn't do anything for me. Not saying it's a bad TV show, but it's not for me. The main reason is probably that I'm not that much interested in medieval fantasy anymore (except for LOTR, and in games).

pibbur who's favourite reborn dragon resides in other realms.

PS. No, I didn't like Game of Thrones either, so much for my credibility. DS.

PPS. I do like Sci-fi and postapocalyptics. And of course Horror! Muahahaha! DS.
--
Over the mountain watching the watcher

pibbuR

Feeling … lonely?

December 4th, 2021, 16:04
Another confession. I've watched the first season of mr Robot. I found it to be a very good series. But I haven't decided if I'm going to watch the rest (which I'm pretty sure I'll also find to be excellent). However, there are - don't think it's a spoiler, the personal problems of the main character, and that makes it a bit difficult, it get's too personal.

I like reading crime novels, but not those where the investigator has "a troublesome past", "must face his demons", and"doesn't play by the rules" and in the end must have a not very friendly personal encounter with the sadist killery, just the two of them. Nope, give me a detective that just does his job, solves the crime collaborating with the colleagues - nothing more, nothring less!!!!

Even weirder: I can watch really horrifying horror movies, but please let me skip children's TV like the "Little House on the Prairie", or the Swedish "Rädda Joppe - död eller levande" (https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1885004/) about this young boy who always loses his favourite toy mole (Joppe) and gets quite desparate. OUUUCH!!!!!

pibbur who admits that this sounds (is?) a bit irrational
--
Over the mountain watching the watcher

pibbuR

Feeling … lonely?

December 4th, 2021, 18:21
Oh there are stand-out episodes in the fourth series of Mr. Robot, I also quite enjoyed the romp in the woods tale, not quite the Pine Barrens yet did evoke some fond memories! I just overall thought the final series was a tad weaker than the previous three, still head and shoulders above most television, imo.

Carnifex

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)

December 4th, 2021, 21:39
Originally Posted by Redglyph View Post
I think I stopped watching TWD after 4 or 5 seasons. It was novel and interesting to see the development of people in this new world at first, but I wasn't hooked enough to keep watching.
Fwiw, you quit at the right time. The first 4-5 seasons were great. The show started to tank at Season 6 and consistently got worse since.

There's still been some good episodes here and there, but it pales in comparison to those earlier seasons.

Originally Posted by pibbuR View Post
Even weirder: I can watch really horrifying horror movies, but please let me skip children's TV like the "Little House on the Prairie", or the Swedish "Rädda Joppe - död eller levande" (https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1885004/) about this young boy who always loses his favourite toy mole (Joppe) and gets quite desparate. OUUUCH!!!!!

pibbur who admits that this sounds (is?) a bit irrational
Not as irrational as someone not liking Game of Thrones.

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

December 4th, 2021, 21:45
Yeah, Frank Darabont and the people brought on board did a great job with the first seasons. Then AMC fucked him, and cut hit budgets and wanted to milk it for all they could. From what I've read anyway.

danutz_plusplus

SasqWatch

December 4th, 2021, 22:35
The first series of the Walking Dead seemed to capture the comic book vibe perfectly, then sometime during series two, or whenever they were on that farm for what seemed an eternity, things got really bad. I dropped the show around that time, yet read the books until the very end.

Carnifex

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)

December 4th, 2021, 22:50
One of the best Chinese dramas of 2021: Novoland: Pearl Eclipse withe the fantastic Yang Mi.

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
RPGWatch Team
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 110 Post(s)
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » The TV Series discussion thread