Dungeons of Chaos doesn't run

rjshae

Periapt vs Paronomasia
RPGWatch Donor
I tried installing this game through Steam, but it won't run on my PC (Windows 8.1). I checked the logs, but it had nothing useful. Any ideas?

Yes there's a reason. What's that got to do with the game not running?

Easy there, Killer…

One of the reasons for MS releasing Win 10 free was to get people unified and reduce support and compatibility headaches. Most developers, and especially an indie with limited resources, is probably going to test on 7 and skip straight to 10. Win 8 / 8.1 has become a bit of an odd egg among OSes.

EDIT: Also, try installing on C: instead if you can (saw your comment in the other thread) instead of J:

There could be an app/user data install scripting anomaly.

*sigh* I've satisfied all of the recommended system requirements that are listed on the Steam store page. I also tried the Steam local file validation tool -- all files were successfully validated.

I've been playing this for over two weeks and have not had an issue running it at all. I'm using windows seven, not sure if that makes a difference or not.

I play in on my phone, works perfectly. That doesn't help RJ now does it...

That certainly could be the issue, and if so there should be a couple of other complaints, I would think. In fact, this week while using steam, I've noticed that games that required updating seemed to take about four times the normal amount of time to update than they usually do.

Yep, it was a Steam issue. The developer was very helpful in getting me running. The solution in my case was to relocate everything out of the Steam install folder except steam.exe and the SteamApps folder, then reboot and bring up Steam. That caused Steam to download all the other components it requires. Afterward the game ran fine.

More details. How does it not run? You click on it and nothing happens? Do you get a blank window? An error?

All I saw was the word 'RUNNING' for a few seconds on the game entry in the Steam window and then it died. It didn't even log anything. Their setup seems completely inane in terms of troubleshooting.

I tracked down the root cause: BitDefender was blocking it as a "potentially malicious application".

----
Potentially malicious application blocked
one minute ago

Feature: Advanced Threat Defense

Application DoC.exe has been detected as potentially malicious and blocked.
Application path: J:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\DUNGEONS OF CHAOS\DoC.exe
----

Yeesh.

Back
Top Bottom