The TV Series discussion thread

I just finished Dark.

Fantastic series for the most part, but the ending left me massively disappointed. :S

I was hovering near 9/10 until the final episode. The finale dropped it to 7/10 for me. I don't mind some things being left unexplained, but it irks me when certain characters are made to seem significant and then no insight is given as to what their motivations were.

I agree the ending was a bit of a downer. For my part, though, I think it's more that I had come to expect great things from that show - so I more or less expected the ending would be something really special.

Turns out it was just.... a bit meh.

I just read that Dark has already been greenlighted for a second season.

I wonder if they were so confident about it being continued that that was one of the reasons they were so ambiguous about some things/characters.

Seems to me the show was so well thought out that I can only assume it's all part of a plan.

That said, one of the biggest issues of TV is that you can never really know if you're going to be able to expand and have more seasons - and I don't think even the best writers can get around it being a huge downside when trying to write something complicated and comprehensive.

No matter how you approach it, you have to prepare for any eventuality - and that can only hurt the end result.

A very strong recommendation for The Affair. It's not something I'm usually into, and initially got into it because of the main guy that also played a great role in The Wire. But it's very nicely written and tackles some really mature subjects, while managing to keep the melodrama at a minimum (at least it's at an acceptable level for me).

Basically it tackles the subject of monogamy, faithfulness, human relationships in a very mature way. And the impact of decisions upon the lives of those around us. I'm right now starting season 3, and man, it just went full dark-mode. I really like the guts that the show has to not just keep it nice and clean. Anyways, strong recommendation from me.

Travelers -- Netflix original TV series.

Humans from a dystopian future send individual consciousness back through time into humans of the 21st century just moments before the host would have died without intervention. The goal is to prevent the terrible future. Good SciFi based on quantum computers, changing timeline tracking AI, etc. Well thought out and written and performed by a collection of very good actors.

Two seasons and 24 episodes at this point. A most definite thumbs up.

__

Travelers -- Netflix original TV series.

Humans from a dystopian future send individual consciousness back through time into humans of the 21st century just moments before the host would have died without intervention. The goal is to prevent the terrible future. Good SciFi based on quantum computers, changing timeline tracking AI, etc. Well thought out and written and performed by a collection of very good actors.

Two seasons and 24 episodes at this point. A most definite thumbs up.

__

I didn't know season 2 was out. Thanks for the heads up. I really liked the series up until the season ending episode. They went all action gimmicky with some plot variance that was really not the same as the prior episodes in the season. I will watch the first few episodes of season 2 to see if they gracefully get out of their predicament. Here's to hoping they manage it.

Was anyone else as disappointed by the first new episode of X-Files as I was?

The pacing was just awful, and the writing seemed like a big step back from the original series run.

The only good thing about it was Gillian Anderson looking hotter than ever. :)

New X-files is out?!?! Awesome! Nooooo, don't say it's bad :D

Watched Black Mirror (Season 4) Episode 1 last night, pretty damn original in its execution.

What threw me about the new X-Files episode was that it seemed maybe the end of last season never happened at all or something? I saw or heard nothing about the sickness that was rampant, or maybe that's coming up in a future episode. Seems odd that it wouldn't even get a mention.

I giggled when I saw Carter literally stole an idea from Lynch, in having a long car trip during the case investigation. That was adorable!

It was an ok episode for me, but I hope they improve.

I'm looking forward to Jez Butterworth's Britannia. Early reports suggest that it is quite unusual, and surreal in parts, and would be best enjoyed with some herbal stimulation!

Finished Black Mirror Season 4

Episode 1, 4, 5, and 6 are all great. With episode 4 possibly being a classic and episode 1 and 6 superior takes on technology gone awry.

Episode 2 was more like a regular movie (and a poor one) than a Black Mirror episode and had a totally cop out ending. Episode 3 was an out and out fail. Near the beginning of that episode two people are driving down an empty road not paying any attention at all to the driving . . . guess what happens . . . Fortunately the next 3 episodes were great.

So now the wait for season 5

Still waiting for the x files to come on Netflix so I can watch it complete for the first time

Started and finished travellers season in a couple of days. I skipped it so many years ago because I thought it would be a bland one case per episode scifi show. Decided to give it a chance because of all the positive reactions and I'm glad I did. I like the good pace and hope they can keep it up.

Finished Black Mirror Season 4

Episode 1, 4, 5, and 6 are all great. With episode 4 possibly being a classic and episode 1 and 6 superior takes on technology gone awry.

Episode 2 was more like a regular movie (and a poor one) than a Black Mirror episode and had a totally cop out ending. Episode 3 was an out and out fail. Near the beginning of that episode two people are driving down an empty road not paying any attention at all to the driving . . . guess what happens . . . Fortunately the next 3 episodes were great.

So now the wait for season 5
Episode 1 is the worst of the series for me. Didn't like it at all. All the episodes are about what may potentially happen with our (ab)use of technology. Episode 1 has way too many stupid plot-holes and simply impossible things for me to relate with or care.

Yeah, I also wasn't very impressed with the first episode of this series from Black Mirror. Some of it my own fault, I often forget that there is going to be some crazy internet/mcdoggle thingie that will come along and mess everything up. Silly me, I thought a trip into space might be optimistic.

My favourite of this series run would be the black and white episode. I found it tight, thrilling, and one of the best episodes of television that I've ever watched.

Yeah, I also wasn't very impressed with the first episode of this series from Black Mirror. Some of it my own fault, I often forget that there is going to be some crazy internet/mcdoggle thingie that will come along and mess everything up. Silly me, I thought a trip into space might be optimistic.
It was optimistic
"the bad (kinda) guy got his comeuppances and the DNA digital clones got to explore space unencumbered by some outside operator. They just might be the only real (?) people in that universe. It would be interesting to see how that part of the story resolves itself in the future."]

best enjoyed with some herbal stimulation!
Anything is best enjoyed with herbal stimulation.

132a5e91d5f4c9fbe9c6af82bcca267f.jpg

Note that… Owning this plant is usually not legal. Unless you live in Canada.

Is that the inside of your bedroom cupboard, Joxer?

Back
Top Bottom