RPGWatch - Shortlisting the GOTY Contenders

I would be annoyed if the games from the east get tossed out with the bath water. Unless the tossing includes the entirety of Europe games, just to be fair and rational about it all. =)

Um... I believe "games from the east" and "the entirety of Europe" this year will make up the top 10. They can't throw them out.

I think we should all vote Grimoire as our top 2017 game just for the fun of it :)

There is no limit to the number of games that an be in a GOTY vote. This shorter list however still has 60 games. Given the experience with previous votes, we reach a number of votes of less than 1% around place 10. What is the point then of having 60 games in a list, for which a majority nobody or only one or two persons vote for.
I figured having 20 of them would be a nice number.

As to removing J-RPGs, RPGWatch is primarily a western RPG focused site. We do have our batch of J-RPGs and also non-RPGs that are more or less covered. However given the history of the GOTY votes, these games don’t do that well, which is probably because of the reason mentioned.

I don’t mind having a list of 60 games in the GOTY, or even more games as shown on the first page, but they are just lists for which a majority of the games don’t get any votes or only a very limited number of votes.

I think Disgea 2, Tales of Bersia, Regalia, and Legend of Heroes 3 might get some votes, and for that reason find it troubling throwing out all the jrpgs. Don't forget how well Dragon's Dogma and Dark Souls did last year.

Edit: I am for removing all the games below Elex, with the exception of Grimoire, which will surely get a few votes.

Last edited:
I think Disgea 2, Tales of Bersia, Regalia, and Legend of Heroes 3 might get some votes, and for that reason find it troubling throwing out all the jrpgs. Don't forget how well Dragon's Dogma and Dark Souls did last year.

Edit: I am for removing all the games below Elex, with the exception of Grimoire, which will surely get a few votes.

I would vote for Tales of Berseria or Legend of Cold Steel for sure, my favorite games I played last year, but I played them in my PS4 so I don't really know if their ported versions were good or not.

I'm playing Legend of Cold Steel right now on the computer and it is most excellent. Great story, tough combat, and a tactical feel that is just my fantasy of computer fights. Really cannot praise it enough.

Is that the same as "Legend of Heroes: trail of cold steel" or something totally different ?

I'm playing Legend of Cold Steel right now on the computer and it is most excellent. Great story, tough combat, and a tactical feel that is just my fantasy of computer fights. Really cannot praise it enough.

Thanks for the recommendation Carnifex. I would likely have skipped it.
I bought Tales of Berseria on steam and refunded it within 2 hours. Couldn't put my finger on a single issue, but overall it just didn't gel or grab me. I figured for the price I could buy something I would enjoy.

Aye You, that's the one. I've played maybe twenty hours so far and I'm enjoying it much more than I thought I would. I finished a named fight earlier today that took me almost forty minutes, and barely pulled it off!

Back
Top Bottom