Suggestions?

Once again great ideas and suggestions- very much appreciated.

So, I've ordered a steam controller (thanks maylander & Ripper), I bought The Quest and will try it tomorrow (thanks Fluent), and many things I've tried or are low in my seemingly infinite backlog are back on the to try list! Thank you all!

Good luck! Let us know how it works out. :)

Hurls, do please post if Steam controller unlike other mushroom-mania is good enough for playing games. I can't trust others - there is love/hate going on, yet noone is actually talking about it's performance when it matters. And it matters.

An example:
http://www.pcgamer.com/mouse-and-ke...ing-controller-users-in-overwatch-on-console/
Mouse and keyboard players are destroying controller users in Overwatch on console

Yes I'm into singleplayer games but that doesn't mean I'll refuse a challenge to destroy opponents in LoL or any other competitive game. If I'm about to use a gadget, then it needs to be as functional as M+K. So I need some feedback.

Hurls,

I have had wrist issues for ~15 years. Drs can never determine what is wrong - when they hear I play video games, they attribute it to permanent damage from repetitive stress disorder and stop helping. Stupidly took a flyer on one surgery that I think just made that wrist weaker. I have found that gamepad games are definitely better than mouse and keyboard. I still play lots of M/K, regardless. I wear carpal tunnel gloves 100% of the time I use the computer.

I would love to hear more thoughts about the steam controller and whether anyone can use it as replacement for K/M - I have enjoyed using an Xbox One controller in many games. I own a Steam controller because I thought it might help, but I have barely used it...

Hurls, it seems to me there are only a few different fundamental types of rpgs - (a) first or third person twitch based, which it sounds like you don't want - I still play those a lot, (b) overhead or isometric turn based which you want a break from, and (c) blobber type turn based first person, for which you mostly have to look to the past, but there are few new ones. I agree with Wiz 8 and MM6-8 if you haven't played them. By the time you get through all those, you will want to go back to overhead!

I've had the steam controller since release. Initially it was a nightmare. More recently it works pretty well actually. The right side track pad works equally well for mouse pointer or "analog stick" like traditional controllers. It does usually require a profile and some fiddling to get perfect in some cases.

It's a bit of a conundrum, while it's definitely more precise than a controller it falls well short of a K&M combo. So it's not as good as a regular controller in games I want to use a controller in and not as good as k&m for games I want to use K&M in. It would be better than a regular controller in FPS and RTS but I'd never play those games with anything other than K&M, So I struggle to find a use for it.

Pros:
-Very customizable
- more precise than a controller
- the flipper button on the bottom are awesome and should immediately be added to all controllers.

Negatives:
- it's a hybrid and falls a bit short of both K&M and controller in their traditional uses.
- requires configuration for some games
- 4 primary buttons could be hard to reach depending on hand size

This is all my personal opinion ofc, so others mileage may very.

Actually your personal opinion might be on the right track. Hand size! When I'm buying a new mouse (always the cheapest one as I tend to break them fast so I just replace) the only thing I'm looking for is a size that fits my hand, some are just too small and some feel too "fat" for me.

But that touch(track?)pad is what interests me here. On my laptop I can (could, I gave it later to my sis as it struggled to pull TW3 hairworks) efficiently use the touchpad instead of a mouse, although I'm not playing games on it (because it's always positioned directly below keyboard), now on a controller where my hands won't overlap it might work.

The Steam controller isn't supposed to replace Kb+m, necessarily, but give you an option to make those games more playable from the Steam Link console in your living room, etc. It also seems like a reasonable way to combine Kb+m with a controller for those who may not be big on using traditional PC controls and feel more comfortable with a controller, yet are interested to try some PC games. My dad fits this description as he is not comfortable at all yet with Kb+m, but would like to play RPGs on PC with a controller if possible.

I'd like to get a Steam controller and check it out, but I have a suspicion that it is not going to feel "right" for me in games where I really want the analog stick for the right stick, i.e. sports games. How reactive is the touchpad and how good does it feel for more twitch-y stuff? I think my Xbox 360 controller will still suit me fine for now and I'll get a Dualshock 4 for my tablet. Thanks for the Steam controller thoughts, y'all. :) Back to your regularly scheduled programming. :cool:

Is it easy to download the profiles, sakichop? I couldn't figure it out when I got it like a year ago. I think I would like to try it for a game like Sword of the Stars: The Pit, that I think prefers k+m but yet is turnbased so might be doable with steam controller.

@jaguar - ouch re your hands, sorry to hear.

One of mine was almost certainly too much keyboard pounding, mainly for work as I wasn't game when it first happened. The other is more obscure but the third surgery made a big difference.

The issue now is I have had, and still have, chronic pain that arthritis and usage makes far worse. Hence the constraints.

Appreciate the support and will try it all out!

Is it easy to download the profiles, sakichop? I couldn't figure it out when I got it like a year ago. I think I would like to try it for a game like Sword of the Stars: The Pit, that I think prefers k+m but yet is turnbased so might be doable with steam controller.

If I remember correctly you just go to controller configuration and there's an option to browse available profiles, click it, select your profile, click again and it should install.

I'm sure they have done a number of updates since I last used it though. There's a lot of settings though, I have this page bookmarked that's very good for explaining everything.

http://www.pcgamer.com/steam-controller-setup-guide/#

I don't remember exactly what my friend did when setting up the steam controller to play games like PoE and SW: TOR, but it was something along the lines of setting the touch pad area thingymajig to specifically be in a small region near the hot key bars, so he could access the abilities with a simple touch.

Since I don't have one, I have no idea if what I said makes any sense, but I seem to recall him mentioning it being something along those lines.

Small update!

The Steam controller has arrived I've just started to try it out.

There is a HUGE learning curve that I completely missed. It is a controller (duh) so it has input surfaces, usage, etc. aka a controller. No problem you think, well, i realise I've NEVER used, tried, played with, etc. a controller of any kind!

The gap from a QWERTY keyboard and a mouse with 3 buttons and a scroll wheel to any controller is, to massively understate the reality, non- trivial.

So I am trying simple controller 'thingies' first, and this will take longer than I had of hoped. Ah well.

Ah yes, that's true. It doesn't feel very intuitive at first. Is the controller comfortable to hold at least?

I read thru all the posts and I do not think anyone mentioned Lords of Xulima. Long game with a nice old school vibe. It is turn based and easy on the hands. For a strategy fix you may want to try either of the Eador games. I love the first one but the remake was good also.

Underrail was awesome too.

I just picked up a Steam controller, will post a new thread after some time with it and give a little review.

Interested in your thoughts Fluent. I assume you have used a controller before?

Sorry for my lack of progress, hospital last week for a knee arthroscopy and then again this Friday for a ketamine infusion. Chronic pain is a less than ideal thing!

Sorry to hear about the pain, Hurls. My mom suffers a lot from chronic pain as well.

I've used a controller before, yeah. I grew up with them, in fact. :) I was mostly a console player growing up so I've used them all. I posted the new thread in this section and talk a bit about the controller. So far I'm really impressed. It's got a pretty genius design but it also might take a genius to program it. :D

I was going to create a similar thread, but I figured that would be redundant. I've been in somewhat of a gaming funk recently, and I'm looking for suggestions on what I should pluck from my backlog and play next. I'm currently in the mood for something a little more action-oriented.

Some of the games I'm considering…

The Secret World - I purchased it quite some time ago but never started it. With the recent announcement of the revamp, should I wait for that instead?

Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen - I've had this one on my mind for a long time, and I could really go for some high-fantasy action combat right now. My only concern is if it has enough variety to hold my attention for a playthrough.

Watch Dogs - I don't understand all the negative reviews. I played it for a few hours back when it was released and found it pretty interesting. I'm generally not a big fan of GTA type games or Ubisoft titles, but I think WD might be unique enough to give a full go.

One of the Batman games - I own them all, but I've only played Arkham Asylum for a few hours. I liked it well enough, but I never found the time to go back to it.

Back
Top Bottom