Non-RPG General News - Arkane is trying a radical new Approach

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Henriquejr spotted a PC Gamer arcticle about Arkane's new games:

With Redfall and Deathloop, Arkane is trying a radical new approach to immersive sim design

Following Prey and Dishonored 2's underwhelming sales numbers, the studio is attempting something different.

Arkane Studios made its name as the mainstream advocate for immersive sims, the proud defender of a genre that seemed destined to fade into obscurity. The studio's first game, Arx Fatalis, was Raphael Colantonio's attempt to make his own version of Ultima Underworld. Its more recent titles, Dishonored and Prey, were spiritual successors to Thief and System Shock, both lynchpin entries in the immersive sim canon.

Yet glance at Arkane's upcoming games Deathloop and Redfall, and you'd be forgiven for thinking the studio has abandoned its raison d'être. Structurally, Deathloop has as much in common with a roguelike as it does Dishonored, placing emphasis on repetition and randomisation, including Dark Souls-style invasion-based multiplayer. Redfall, meanwhile, barely looks like an immersive sim at all. Arkane's description of it as a "cooperative open world shooter" makes it sound like a blend of Left 4 Dead and Destiny.

[...]
More information.

There's nothing radical about going more woke and mainstream.

I've been a fan of Arkane since Arx Fatalis, and it's sad to see them take this direction. I guess they need to do whatever they think it takes though for better sales. I wish them luck, but I have zero interest in Redfall based on what I've seen and heard so far.

Yep, that was my first thought : so sad.

I think maybe they need to first sequester themselves and stop talking about this project, as what I'm reading isn't enticing at all. I can only hope the final product is better than what I'm currently imagining.

There isn't a lot of info on this one yet....and arcane themselves did say this was an immersive sim during the MS brief.

Bah I warned you guys months ago about Arkane's new shift. Most of you disbelieved it because it was an article from a click-bait site that hates wokeness.

This was from 2018 before Microsoft bought them.
Recently news broke that Dishonored was shelved for the foreseeable future. While this news was only just revealed to the world, Arkane in Lyon, France has known this for the past year. While my sources couldn’t say with certainty if this was what caused studio founder Raphaël Colantonio to disembark from the studio last year, it was stated that he left shortly after the pitch for both Dishonored 3 and Prey 2 had been turned down by Zenimax.

Following the ‘disappointing’ releases of Dishonored 2 and Prey, Zenimax decided that they didn’t do well because no one buys single player games, a sentiment that one source stated was “dead ass wrong.” This mindset has led to a hard pivot by Zenimax to focus more on multiplayer and live service experiences, with only a few single player games in the pipeline.
Anyway RedFall looks like a game made with a checklist for Gen Z.

I enjoyed the various vids I saw of this but no longer into this kind of game play (co-op or MMO). I think a lot of it has to do with not wanting to tie my game schedule to other people. Nor do I want to get on the hamster wheel of MMO's.

Not sure what is so radical and new about this game ... went over my head it seems.

Sad they are leaving the immersive sim behind, but not surprising. Those games are hard to make and, if they don't sell well, there's no way a company can keep making them - at least not with big production values. It's not like Arkane has been doing a bad job at them, it's just that they don't sell well enough to make good money.

Maybe a B-level studio can cut some corners and pull it off?

As for the "wokeness" - what do you expect, given what's going on in the world? (And do you really want to talk about this outside the R/E forum?)

Arkane has gone all in on something it turns out not a lot of people want from them.
There are other co op games which have dedicated players invested and happy to stay put and as for the artistic style; Fortnite is still a thing!
But like Bioware and Anthem it looks like it'll be a costly lesson to stick to what they are good at.
Its maddening how much resources are wasted on these worthless trend chasing releases from companies who should be making their own unigue games :bigcry:

Abandoning one's one vision in favor of soulless, market-tested copycat products is the opposite of being "woke". I don't know why you guys keep using that word to describe what they're doing.

"Arkane has gone all in on something it turns out not a lot of people want from them."

Maybe vocal people here, but overall? Almost certainly they're doing this in an effort to appeal to what a lot of people want.

If Anthem was a lesson, it was that even if you utterly botch a game in every way, as long as it's a certain kind of game (live service looter shooter) it will still outsell almost everything else.

A product can be mainstream and woke at the same time. One does not preclude the other.

If you look at their last 3 games including this one, it's pretty obvious there's a certain effort there… unless you're wearing blinders.

To be clear, something being woke doesn't bother me on its own. It's much more about the direction they've taken gameplay-wise.

Almost certainly they're doing this in an effort to appeal to what a lot of people want.

If Anthem was a lesson, it was that even if you utterly botch a game in every way, as long as it's a certain kind of game (live service looter shooter) it will still outsell almost everything else.

Those co op players have their favoured games they've invested time in with their team mates; it takes something a lot more special than this to drag them away, see all the pretenders to World of Warcraft which went down the drain when gamers were happy to remain playing WOW

The inevitable long drawn out death of Anthem screwed up Bioware's reputation and has killed a lot of anticipation for Dragon Age 4. Bioware may have had short term success with it but Anthem's stink is gonna be hanging around any future projects.

Their best amazing game forever was Dark Messiah of Might & Magic. There is a reason I never finished Arx: it got boring fast. Dishonored advertised itself with inhumane psychopathic real murder vibe, like Manhunt did by letting the player hyperrealistically murder NPC's with a glass shard or behead with a shovel. No thanks..
Prey _The Dark Blob_ from Arkane should never have been allowed to happen. I loved the original Prey game concept way too much.

Dark Messiah is amazingly good. I was late to the party on that one, yet I've replayed it twice to date so far. It's really a lot of fun, and you can do so much in very different ways!!

Their best amazing game forever was Dark Messiah of Might & Magic. There is a reason I never finished Arx: it got boring fast. Dishonored advertised itself with inhumane psychopathic real murder vibe, like Manhunt did by letting the player hyperrealistically murder NPC's with a glass shard or behead with a shovel. No thanks..
Prey _The Dark Blob_ from Arkane should never have been allowed to happen. I loved the original Prey game concept way too much.
Obviously different people have different tastes. For example, I like all of their games you mention here.

Like you, I dislike that they felt the need to make trailers for Dishonored, which concentrate on showcasing a very brutal approach. But giving this as a kind of reason, why this game is not a great game, makes no sense. You can play the game completely non-lethally and that is one of the reasons, why I like it so much and have replayed it several times. By not playing a great game because of bad advertising you only punish yourself.

With regard to the topic: I don't believe that anything discussed in this threat so far gives real evidence that we have to expect a bad game. They had many changes in their direction in the past and every game was something new and different somehow. So I give them the benefit of doubt and look forward to their new game(s) even if they are completely different…

Edit: I am not interested in multiplayer or online games myself, but from what I know today I don't expect, that this is the only aspect of their new project(s).

Last edited:
I enjoyed the various vids I saw of this but no longer into this kind of game play (co-op or MMO). I think a lot of it has to do with not wanting to tie my game schedule to other people. Nor do I want to get on the hamster wheel of MMO's.

Not sure what is so radical and new about this game … went over my head it seems.
Yeah fact is it's an MMO Co-op game. :nod:

If they made it SP like Dishonored I'd be singing a different tune. Someone made a perfect reply on an another site. Arkane is trying to get some of the Fortnite cash.

As RedFall is a Fortnite clone.

Yeah fact is it's an MMO Co-op game. :nod:

If they made it SP like Dishonored I'd be singing a different tune. Someone made a perfect reply on an another site. Arkane is trying to get some of the Fortnite cash.

As RedFall is a Fortnite clone.
Ah, I didn't see it stated that clearly. If you are right, than the game will unfortunately not be for me. What do you think about deathloop? If it is something like Mooncrash this would be a good thing!

When Mooncrash came out I didn't play it for a while, since it was called a rogue-like and I hate games with permadeath, which you have to try again and again. But Mooncrash was in fact completely different and I liked it very much, when I eventually played it.

Deathloop is also Co-op but wont force you to play online. I might give it a try but looks more focused on playing with others. Similar to how players invaded in Dark Souls.

Deathloop is also Co-op but wont force you to play online. I might give it a try but looks more focused on playing with others. Similar to how players invaded in Dark Souls.
Thanks! If there is a possibility to play it offline and single player, I will surely try it.

Back
Top Bottom