The Outer Worlds - Review @ Rock Paper Shotgun

I'm downloading this now on gamepass....cannot wait, but I have to.

I have played for a few hours, exploring the first town, and it's fun so far. It is very familiar in terms of the mechanics of playing the game, and to me that's a good thing (so far). I like the temporarily-slow-down-time mechanic much better than Vats from Fallout New Vegas.

Impressions so far
  • Picked up the mechanics quickly (easy game to get into)
  • Interface is clean and gives just enough info without being in the way. Looting interface is perfect.
  • There is no Cover mechanic, and no ability to climb up onto ledges. I've been replaying DX:HR so these two things omitted is more noticeable to me.
  • Playing on hard, enemies can handle a lot of gun damage, but go down easily with melee weapons. Oddly I have more points in ranged weapon skill than melee. I find the combat to be fun and the AI not bad.
  • Seems to be some chromatic aberration or something to the overall look, I'd rather it were more clear.
  • If your weapon or armor condition is 99.9% or less you will see a repair wrench icon on the item in your inventory. Not sure if I like that but it's purpose is then to show the condition as the weapon wears down, the lit up part of the wrench bar goes down.
  • First town has a lot to walk around in and loot but not many NPCs. Conversations are quality though. Good acting. Just hoping a more sinister nature creeps in eventually.
  • A lot of reacting to my Marauder outfit
  • Non essential town NPCs are very bland, have almost nothing to say.
  • I like my first companion, she seems like a real person.
  • At first getting a No Man's Sky/Bioshock/Fallout vibe. But I think it's more like Outcast and Elex. Safe to say there are a lot of influences at play.
  • Music is mostly subtle, space opera underscoring, not wholly original, but I dig it anyways.

Other than some early nitpicks, I'm really having fun with the game and its environments.

My early game:
Created character, hit the first planet, something pretty funny happens as soon as you get out of your capsule. I persuaded first character to give me his gun then I proceeded to shoot him with it. I'm disoriented after 70 years of cryosleep and then a rude awakening. Don't know who to trust. Or maybe it was his 50s boyscout talking style. I wonder if he was going to be a companion. Oh well. I looted his body and slept in his bunk. Everyone is a little too nice in the first town. They act scared and supposedly work constantly but it doesn't really seem all that bad. We shall see.

Last edited:
Just bought on GameBillet with a 21% discount. Downloading now, playing tonight.

I'm downloading this now on gamepass….cannot wait, but I have to.

Thanks for planting the idea in my head. Not a bad deal for $5/mo and a buck for the first. I'll keep it at least long enough to play this game.

Thanks for planting the idea in my head. Not a bad deal for $5/mo and a buck for the first. I'll keep it at least long enough to play this game.
Ah, I missed that opportunity.
So can you actually cancel the gamepass monthly?
This would be too good to be true as you could play single player games for 1-3 monthly costs. For some games I wouldn't care if I wasn't able to play it after canceling.

Just bought on GameBillet with a 21% discount. Downloading now, playing tonight.
Nice find, I picked it on GMG a while ago with IIRC 16% discount.

Not home so sadly can't play it yet, in a few hours however I'll turn off from this world. Hopefully...

This would be too good to be true as you could play single player games for 1-3 monthly costs. For some games I wouldn't care if I wasn't able to play it after canceling.

Yes. At least, I read on MS' webpage you can cancel at any time. I got Game Pass for PC, which is $1 for the first month and $5/mo thereafter. Normally, it is $10/no, but it's reduced to $5 while in beta.

Here's the thing: Don't use the Microsoft Store that comes with the required Windows 10. It's still garbage. However, you can DL the Win 10 XBox app, which works perfectly. (They must have put their Xbox team on it, rather than the PC guys. :p ) Don't use the app called Xbox (Console Companion) found in the Windows Store. I found some direct link online for the app Xbox (Beta). That's the one you need. Works like a dream from there.

Edit: Thought I'd add the Xbox (Beta) app did some big update to Windows, even though Windows said it was up to date prior. After that, the Xbox (Beta) app functions like the Windows Store should but doesn't.

Last edited:

Yes you can at anytime, not an issue (the games will just stop working when your cancelled subscription time runs out) - I've already done it once on the Xbox version a few months ago (and later took a 'come back to us' lower price offer to set it up again a second time to play this game). They seem to be relying on the ones who won't cancel, and on the ones who try out games they normally wouldn't and who find they enjoy them and who then cancel their pass but buy those not-normally-bought games to make money out of this.

About to dive in! So happy to hear "mostly bug free" for a change.

After an hour: first impressions are good. Movement feels really slow, though.

Last edited:
About to dive in! So happy to hear "mostly bug free" for a change.

After an hour: first impressions are good. Movement feels really slow, though.

Movement doesn't feel slow to me. But luckily for you and those who share that opinion, there is tier 1 perk to increase your walking speed, and another to increase your sprinting speed.

So I've startet at 9 pm and couldn't stop playing until 2 am despite having to get up a few hours later.

'Nuff said. ;)

Back
Top Bottom