Command & Conquer - Remastered Editions?

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Seems EA keeps sucking the corpse dry and is remastering the Command & Conquer franchise once again. This time it's for the franchise's 25th Anniversary.

Link - https://old.reddit.com/r/commandandconquer/comments/9nbrfm/cc_update_from_ea/
Fellow Command & Conquer fans,

My name is Jim Vessella, and I’m a Producer at Electronic Arts. Ten years ago I had the pleasure of being on the production team for Command & Conquer 3 and Red Alert 3, along with being the Lead Producer on Kane’s Wrath. During those years, some of my favorite moments were interacting with our passionate community, whether at our onsite Community Summits, on the forums, or while attending various events such as Gamescom.

As most of you may know, we recently announced Command & Conquer: Rivals, a mobile game set in the Command & Conquer universe. Following the reveal of Rivals, we heard you loud and clear: the Command & Conquer community also wants to see the franchise return to PC. And as a fan of C&C for over 20 years, I couldn’t agree more. With that in mind we’ve been exploring some exciting ideas regarding remastering the classic PC games, and already have the ball rolling on our first effort to celebrate the upcoming 25th Year Anniversary.

We are eager to hear your feedback to help influence our current thoughts for PC and what comes next. Over the next few weeks we’ll be talking to fans in a variety of ways. In the meantime, please share your thoughts here on the subreddit.

As a long time C&C fan and developer, I am just as passionate about the C&C franchise as you are, and look forward to hearing your thoughts as they help us shape the future of C&C at EA!

I think that's actually pretty cool.

Will be hard to deal with the old cutscenes though, as redoing them would probably be worse than just keeping them.

I think that's actually pretty cool.
Me to but I don't think much of EA nowadays. To much focus on MP games.
Will be hard to deal with the old cutscenes though, as redoing them would probably be worse than just keeping them.
A remaster of the older games was released a few years back before Command & Conquer 3 & Red Alert 3. It was called the First Decade Edition and I hated it.

Cnctfd-win-cover.jpg

They left the cut-scenes as they were, and barely made any new enhancements to the older games. So hopefully EA does a better job this time. At this point I have doubts.

Last edited:
These games were pure joy back in the day, but I wouldn't touch a damn thing that Electronic Arts has been involved in. Principles and such will having me steering very clear of their products!

A remaster of the older games was released a few years back before Command & Conquer 3 & Red Alert 3. It was called the First Decade Edition and I hated it.

The first decade was not a remaster, it was just a re-release of the games in one package, with some minor compatibility tweaks to make them run well in XP.

The first decade was not a remaster, it was just a re-release of the games in one package, with some minor compatibility tweaks to make them run well in XP.
Still a piece of crap though hardly any work was done.

Entering all the serial numbers to activate and install was a hassle also.

Nowadays they sell a Ultimate Edition with every game together. Anyway I don't think EA will invest a lot of money to redo graphics, and the movies. If they do I'll be surprised.

51lZmJ2jeGL._SY445_.jpg

Also to get a few of the older games to work on Win 10 takes some tweaking, and third party files. Heck I cant even get Generals to work on Win 10 and I tried everything.

Last edited:
As far as I know, Ultimate edition is just The First Decade + the games that were not part of it, they did not really put any additional work into it. Remastering something is quite different from just making a few tweaks to make it so that something works on the OS it's released for. (Ultimate collection does by the way not have any official Windows 10 support)

As far as I know, Ultimate edition is just The First Decade + the games that were not part of it, they did not really put any additional work into it. Remastering something is quite different from just making a few tweaks to make it so that something works on the OS it's released for. (Ultimate collection does by the way not have any official Windows 10 support)
Never said the Ultimate edition was remastered. Please read my full reply.:]

I just mentioned this is how the games are now sold on Origin, and that EA wont spend a huge amount of money to remaster these games. So don't except much.

As much as I love these games the last few did not sell well on release. Command & Conquer 4 was a mobile game made for the PC, and the latest is a mobile game.

Last edited:
Never said the Ultimate edition was remastered. Please read my full reply.:]

I just mentioned this is how the games are now sold on Origin, and that EA wont spend a huge amount of money to remaster these games. So don't except much.

As much as I love these games the last few did not sell well on release. Command & Conquer 4 was a mobile game made for the PC, and the latest is a mobile game.

I know that you said that C&C: Ultimate Collection was not a remaster, just The Last Decade, but the reason why I mentioned remastering in my post is because the situation would be very different with a re-master, compared to a re-release, as far as compatibility with a modern OS & hardware goes. I don't see the relevance with mentioning a re-release released for Win 7 not running well in Win 10 has to do with a remaster, where they'll be able to do major changes to the games & their engines. These are two things so different from each other that one really has very little relevance to the other.

I know that you said that C&C: Ultimate Collection was not a remaster, just The Last Decade, but the reason why I mentioned remastering in my post is because the situation would be very different with a re-master, compared to a re-release, as far as compatibility with a modern OS & hardware goes. I don't see the relevance with mentioning a re-release released for Win 7 not running well in Win 10 has to do with a remaster, where they'll be able to do major changes to the games & their engines. These are two things so different from each other that one really has very little relevance to the other.
Yes and once again like I said don't except much as it EA.

As a full remaster for Win10 would take years and a big budget.

On a side note maybe one day we could see a new Dune game but I doubt it as that IP is dead. Anyway look were just going in circles here so I'm out. Have a nice day.:cool:

I actually recently replayed C&C 1, 2 and 3. They're still good, but getting them to work is quite a hassle at times. The editions that are currently available via Origin should not be confused with what GOG does when they release a game. These are no better than the old CD and DVD versions.

I actually wouldn't mind getting re-masters, or just updates that actually work, but I'm not holding my breath here. We're likely to get very little, but for a high price.

No doubt it will be full of wondrous CGI
That is: Cash Grab & Ignorance.

Another great video about the whole series.

Quick update Petroglyph Games is doing the remasters.
“Petroglyph Games includes many of the original developers from Westwood Studios, and some of the most influential members of the original Command & Conquer development team from 1995. Joe Bostic is known as the co-creator of C&C, having also served as the Lead Programmer on Tiberian Dawn and Red Alert. Steve Tall joined Joe as a Lead Programmer on Red Alert, and Ted Morris was the original community manager on the C&C franchise. And Mike Legg contributed to all forms of audio systems at Westwood, having been an employee since 1986! All four members helped start Petroglyph Games in 2003 after the closure of Westwood and are joined by a veteran group of RTS developers from the past 15+ years.”

Also they said the remastered version of the first two games will be 4K; not sure if they will actually redo all the graphics or just scale them - however since the original devs are working on them maybe they will actually tweak the games and they will actually be good. Of course this is EA so I suspect origin only for pc.

Yeah they will probably require Origin to play that I have no doubt of.

After this announcement my interest has returned as a few of the older games need a facelift. Maybe I can finally replay Generals as Win 10 hates it, and wont load it.

No release date yet though. So probably 2019-2020.

If they actually do a proper job with the remasters, I'll likely get them. Love those games.

Speaking of Command & Conquer, can anyone tell me if the "Command & Conquer: The Ultimate Collection" properly runs in Windows 7 64 bit?

Last edited:
Speaking of Command & Conquer, can anyone tell me if the "Command & Conquer: The Ultimate Collection" properly runs in Windows 7 64 bit?
No problem.

Command & Conquer - Works but very dated with no updates
Command & Conquer: Red Alert -Works but very dated with no updates
Command & Conquer: Tiberian Sun & Ex - Works better graphics some problems
Command & Conquer: Red Alert 2 & EX- Works but has some limitations
Command & Conquer: Renegade - Never bothered to play it

The last three that I didn't list have no problem running on Win 7&10. As for the ones above you many need to find other programs to run them and increase resolution.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom