Pillars of Eternity II - The World of Deadfire

The game as a whole or just it's pathfinding part? ;)
Nah that's a feature of these spiritual successor games. Goes all the way back to 1998 and the Infinity Engine. Joking aside it's weird the same developer cant fix that problem.

Nah that's a feature of these spiritual successor games. Goes all the way back to 1998 and the Infinity Engine. Joking aside it's weird the same developer cant fix that problem.

I think they are using the same basic approach as IE - well, I suspect movement outside combat is different, but in combat I think they revert to the old IE grid of cells that a character can path through. I never had issues moving outside combat, but in combat... I think they have improved it marginally for PoE2, but they also reduced the party size by 1, which may hide some of the issues that remain. They need a system that can 'squeeze' through space (like you can in actual D&D rules).

Bah I doubt MCA'S rant on the Codex will negatively affect the company. It's only talked about on small forums and maybe one or two oversea's websites. Many don't care.

Possibly. Many of the big sites will be pretty quiet over the May holiday, though. Any site with a bit of credibility would want to first confirm that it's actually MCA, and not some Codex mutant on a jolly. They'd also want to reach Obsidian for an opportunity to comment. So, I'd expect it to take a while before a major site covered it, and I wouldn't rule it out yet.

I think they are using the same basic approach as IE - well, I suspect movement outside combat is different, but in combat I think they revert to the old IE grid of cells that a character can path through. I never had issues moving outside combat, but in combat… I think they have improved it marginally for PoE2, but they also reduced the party size by 1, which may hide some of the issues that remain. They need a system that can 'squeeze' through space (like you can in actual D&D rules).

POE1 used the Unity system mostly and it was the same pathing in and out of combat. POE2 is much better, it's not just marginally improved, and character do squeeze through space (and move others when doing so sometimes when the space is too tight).

The party size reduction has nothing to do with pathing, it was to reduce clutter on the screen during combat because people complained they couldn't tell what was happening (aka why their characters were dying so fast). And it was still a clutterfest in Deadfire beta because apparently on "normal" a combat encounter should be 5 vs ~10 enemies (12-20 things moving, doing actions and spouting FX all over the place that you have to keep track off). Going by not-beta content stream and beta 4, they reduced encounter size for release though.

By the way, I didn't feel like I was "missing" a party member with just 5 members while playing the beta.

Possibly. Many of the big sites will be pretty quiet over the May holiday, though. Any site with a bit of credibility would want to first confirm that it's actually MCA, and not some Codex mutant on a jolly. They'd also want to reach Obsidian for an opportunity to comment. So, I'd expect it to take a while before a major site covered it, and I wouldn't rule it out yet.
Yeah but Avallone is already at a legal impasse that we call defamation. He keeps signaling out different people from Obsidian, and can face multiple lawsuits.
Defamation, calumny, vilification, or traducement is the communication of a false statement that, depending on the law of the country, harms the reputation of an individual, business, product, group, government, religion, or nation.

Under common law, to constitute defamation, a claim must generally be false and must have been made to someone other than the person defamed. Some common law jurisdictions also distinguish between spoken defamation, called slander, and defamation in other media such as printed words or images, called libel.

False light laws protect against statements which are not technically false, but which are misleading.
It all depends on how what he says affects the people he badmouths, and if the lawyers can find a case. As its not that easy to sue an former employee/co-worker.

Frankly speaking I wouldn't hire this guy after this fiasco.

PS: I don't buy the whole he has enough money for 200 years either.
Also: Cinco de Mayo is not a major Holiday in the US.
POE1 used the Unity system mostly and it was the same pathing in and out of combat. POE2 is much better, it's not just marginally improved, and character do squeeze through space (and move others when doing so sometimes when the space is too tight).
Thanks for the info azarhal as I stay away from playing most Beta versions. I remember you could adjust path-finding on the infinity games, but it was buggy.

Last edited:
What you're saying is the game is utter trash and not worth playing because there is no challenge, story is linear so it works as mexican soap opera and combat is stupid slideshow.
No.
The world building is a success, the world is rich, the places are intriguing to visit etc
The first opus introduced a dense world's basic main lines. The familiarity opens the door to a smoother exploration and immersion.

As to combat, despite all the efforts and compromizing, players keep playing pause-place inputs- pause.
There is no interest in playing RTwP. There is no demand, no audience for this type of combat.
This leads to waste, a lot of work went into animation, to try to make combat alive.
When a fight is paused every second, it breaks the flow.

The game as a whole or just it's pathfinding part? ;)
Combat is conceived as a static phase, another compromizing that destroyed RTwP.
Pathfinding is slightly involved as there is no needs to move characters around.

I have my game lying in front of me, unboxing it from the shipping box a few minutes ago. ;)

You didn't say if it's PC or Nintendo version. Or something else, the rumor is you sold your soul to consoles. :p

Mine is preloaded on Steam…
Btw, those who have it on Steam, do check this thread please for some goodies:
https://steamcommunity.com/linkfilter/?url=https://eternity.obsidian.net/scavenger/
jjHdZYh.png
7rpttTU.png

Also from https://www.reddit.com/r/projecteternity/comments/7zzrvp/the_deadfire_codes/ not sure if these are cheats or not:
BONUS PETS!!

The following console commands have been found in print magazines to grant the player some other fancy pets. After the game releases, open the console with the ~ key and enter any of the following commands:

COSMIC DOG Cosmic Dog Pet (PC Gamer UK, March 2018)

COSMIC BIRD Cosmic Bird Pet (GameStar, March 2018)

MnOjepL.jpeg

UIksSaw.jpeg

No.

As to combat, despite all the efforts and compromizing, players keep playing pause-place inputs- pause.
There is no interest in playing RTwP.

I always find your stance on this funny. "Pause-place inputs-unpause" IS RTwP. Not pressing the "Pause"-button would make it RT. Of course it's nice to be able to destroy trash mobs without any pausing, but in a more challenging combat it would be kind of silly not to use it? Sure you COULD learn all the keyboard commands (I certainly use a lot of them because mouse clicking everything takes ages, I mostly use them while paused though) and try to make a challenge out of playing the game entirely without pausing...but your stance that that's the "right" way to play RTwP sounds like a paradox to me.

I get what you're saying with the animations though, but that's probably a lot more annoying when you're just watching a game (like you do with streams) than when you're acutally playing it. I certainly enjoy nice animations even if I sometimes pause in the middle of them.

Preloaded and idling...but I don't really have time to play until the weekend.... I never bothered with pets, but if they give you some passives then I must consider one ;-)
Reminds me of a D&D campaign I played, where the sorcerer had a raven as a familiar, but was terrified of it being killed, so it was wrapped up and popped into a fireproof ...'papoose' ... so he could still get the bonues, but it couldn't do much except squawk ...(the PC was a bit mad, in real life)

Was on the fence on with one to buy so i got edition that comes with the expansion games.

Pet were great just to see ahead and or to engage combat while sitting back waiting for enemies to slowly trickle down to your party in wait.

Pets were basically cosmetic inventory items that followed the main character around and were not controllable or interacted with.

You may be thinking of the Ranger's Animal Companion.

Could anyone bring me up to speed? I haven't followed the game at all and I have a few questions.

1 - Is this supposed to be epic and huge in scope, i.e. 100+ hours?
2 - Is there land exploration, too, or mostly just ship exploration?
3 - Will it be possible to start a new game WITHOUT picking choices as to how the previous game played out (I got close but never finished the first game and don't want to really spoil every decision blatantly, if you know what I'm saying. I'm sure there are spoilers in PoE2, obviously, but I may not recognize them as much as picking directly from a list of choices.)

Thanks in advance.

Back
Top Bottom