Personal things you don't need to know

The only stored infor about him is his mailadress, on my PC (I only send/receive emails on my PC). His phone number isn't stored anywhere (not even on my phone) and I never used Whatsapp to contact him. BTW, I've never used my phone to access FB, only my PC. Besides, nobody else, even my family which are stored both on PC and phone appear.

One possible source could be twitter. He was a contact (whatever twitter calls it) on twitter, but its been years since I was on twitter (for a very short time). Besides, two watchers I followed do not appear as friend candidates.

pibbur who is still confused.

The only stored infor about him is his mailadress, on my PC (I only send/receive emails on my PC). His phone number isn't stored anywhere (not even on my phone) and I never used Whatsapp to contact him. BTW, I've never used my phone to access FB, only my PC. Besides, nobody else, even my family which are stored both on PC and phone appear.

One possible source could be twitter. He was a contact (whatever twitter calls it) on twitter, but its been years since I was on twitter (for a very short time). Besides, two watchers I followed do not appear as friend candidates.

pibbur who is still confused.
Facebook might know you know him because of HIS activities/settings.

One somewhat scary thing I discovered: I found a friend suggestion on my pesonal pages, saying that I might know this one. And I do, he's a good friend outside FB. But this begs the question: How does FB know that? I never told them. *shivers*.

EVERY SINGLE ONE of those F symbols embedded in web sites of ANY kind´sends visitor information to Face Book. Every one.

And you can't stop it.

The code behind these F-symbols is so that it tracks and collects data - my guess is that it even puts cookies into your PC. And other forms of tracking as well, I fear.

This way, Face Books collects so much more data than you would imagine.

This is even so severe that official German ministry and other official state web sites had to withdraw that F symbol, because it collected too much data and did too many things "on its own", so to say.

Me, I have never seen that code, but I do believe that official state pages had to withdraw it, then it must have been severe.

Here in Germany there has even been the case of a shop owner (a small shop) who had a page on Face Book even although he NEVER joined it. as it turned out, FB it creating these pages´automatically without any user input, the only rule that seems to be there is : If there's a sop out there, then it gets a page.
He contacted his lawyer, they sent FB a "cease & desist" letter - and FB in their arrogance didn't react to it, because it was merely a letter from a small shop owner - or so they might have thought. And because everyone at FB failed to see the importance of this letter until it was to late, FB had to pay a fine of 10.000 Euros in the end.
That was documented in the GErman computing magazine called "c't".

Good reasons for avoiding them, in other words. But I really like being part of Ultima Dragons again. So I guess it's a matter of priorities, I'll continue using FB for the single purpose.

BTW, I always surf in private mode, don't know if that helps. And maybe there are relatively-Facebook-safe browsers out there? I'm certain there are watchers who knows?

BTW, I have of course been attacked by another FB-side effect: The Thief-of-time. I tend to visit it much more often than I (when I'm rational) want to. I'll try to discipline myself, and keep the watch as my only thief-of-time. Eventually.

10000 EUR! Wow, that must have hurt them.....

pibbur who insiste on only using the Like button on FB. Not any of the cursed 'mojis.

Facebook might know you know him because of HIS activities/settings.

Ahh, that may of course be the case. My revenge will be severe, targeted and merciless.

pibbur who is pleasantly surprised that none of his family have taken part in such nefarious activities.

A confesson: I have joined facebook.

WARNING: heavy sarcasm follows:

A bit late to the party, eh?
FB is waning... getting more of an "underdog platform for elders" now ... support is about to be dropped from Playstation, League of Legends... who comes next?

If you'd have joined Instagram instead, we might as well get a highly anticipated pibbur thong butt selfie (#NoFilters #YouDontNeedToKnow) !

Gain? Loss? You decide! ;)

Sarcasm appreciated.

Well, at level 64, I guess I am the new target audience for FB. And regarding Instagram - as far as I know there's no Ultima Dragons Instagram Chapter. So at the moment that selfie remains in your fantasies… :)

pibbur who has decided

Last edited:
BTW, I always surf in private mode, don't know if that helps. And maybe there are relatively-Facebook-safe browsers out there? I'm certain there are watchers who knows?
To avoid the Facebook pixel:

Use the Onion browser, or use VPN. :)
Use an adblocker to make sure it does not appear secretely without seeing it. Then it is harder for Facebook to see which sites you are visiting.
Make sure it does not track your location. Google/duckduckgo for ‘turning off location services Facebook’.
Use one email address for Facebook and use it no where else but for Facebook.
Don’t react to ads on Facebook.
Go to youronlinechoices.com. Choose ‘your settings’ and turn Facebook off.

I am not familiar with the settings of Facebook itself, I don’t use it, but please do read one of the many sites dealing with stopping Facebook tracking you across the web.

I've promised you before that I would take a long break from the watch, for personal reasons. But as long as I still have an account, that hasn't worked very well. So, fyi, I've asked myrthos to delete me.

pibbur who won't promise he will never be back, but it will take some time.

Long breaks from the Watch are not healthy and should be forbidden!

Take care, pibbur. Please know that you are always welcome and we’ll be thinking of you. You and your contributions are special and unique. We’ll miss you. :kiss:

Try to keep your humour up. Be careful.

The only acceptable reason for taking a day off from the Watch is that you're on a plane flying to Australia!! :)

Pibbur who sees a big discrepancy between what he aspired to, in terms of social relations, and what he can achieve in this limited reality. He can not solve the problem. What is available is not acceptable and what would be acceptable he can not grasp. He experiences the tragic situation of having no choice.

Sounds like a text from a textbook, or from a Shakespearean tragedy.

I am feeling very melancholic. Many of the old watch regulars seems to be disappearing. I guess we are all getting older etc.

pibbur, Hope you you sort out your personal reason and come back.

Don’t despair. New ones keep arriving. :)

Thats true and its very good thing but you can't fail to feel tint on sadness when things/people move on. I guess its the circle of life :)

Back
Top Bottom